Buenos Aries Alternative Neighborhoods?

Hello All,

I am coming to Buenos Aries on January 12th and have been researching what I can online about relevant issues such as  jobs, apartments, spanish lessons ect. But one subject which I would like some experienced feedback on is neighborhoods in Buenos Aries. I currently live in Chicago in a very eclectic neighborhood called Logan Square. Ideally I would like to live in a similar environment which welcomes art, alternative life styles and subculture in general I suppose.  Here in Chicago my neighborhood does have gang and crime issues, but if you don't act carelessly (not dead bolting doors, walking around w headphones, going through bad streets at night ect.) you most likely will not have any major problems. This being said I would not mind living in areas deemed "shady", but can my experience here be more or less translated to "less than safe" neighborhoods in Buenos Aries??

I figure the best way to really find out about any of this is to actually go  myself and see. But any feedback form people living in BsAs would be most helpful and much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason

hia

Take your pick for less than safe areas in Baires.

I would say that some areas are no go unless you are visiting with a local who lives there, anything that is called a villa could be included in that.

I like the area Once in the day time. It is full of shops and people and very central, there are no tourists and it is abit shady. I have lived there for five years. There are some interesting shops and it has a rich history.

Cheers

Fortunately, we do not have any issues with gangs in this city.  There are a few issues with drugs and related crime, but for the most part I feel extremely safe anywhere in town.  As to the villas miserias ("miserable villages" or slums) there is only one in Capital Federal and it is in a corner over by the main bus station and I doubt you would ever be around there except to take a bus to the interior of the country. 

Once is okay, reminds me a bit of Mexican border towns with its hustle and bustle.  It is a bit of a dump and were I to live in that part of town I prefer Congresso, which is right next door.  The first two years I lived in Buenos Aires I was in Abasto, which is on the opposite side of Once from Congresso, and liked it just fine so I would recommend that area as well.

As to your requirements (supporting the arts, alternative lifestyles and subculture) I think you will find most parts of town meet at least some, if not all, of those requirements.  Obviously the areas with more opulence such as Recoleta, Palermo and Puerto Madero, or San Telmo with its rich history offer all of those things and in abundance.  However, for my own tastes the first 3 are way to touristic and expensive and San Telmo is a bit on the unsafe and shady side. 

I prefer adjacent areas such as Villa Crespo, Almagro and Abasto which are all close to Recoleta and Palermo (collectively known as Barrio Norte).  You will find you are easily within walking distance of all you are seeking, the prices will run about 1/3 less than living in Recoleta or Palermo, and you will enjoy the solitude of living in a porteno neighborhood instead of bumping into tourists all day long.

If you want to send me a private message I can connect you with some agencies who are reputable.  Also, I will be working to establish some discount programs for members of https://www.expat.com and will be passing along that information to individuals upon request.

You can try San Telmo, but if you want something more cheap, maybe you can try Caballito

Villa Crespo, Colegiales, Villa Ortuzar, Saavedra.