BEST START UP BUSINESS FOR 100K OR LESS? ADVICE PLEASE!

Hi there, just wondering what would be a good business if you have 100K? We plan to retire back home in a year or two. We saved but still need a way to sustain our daily needs. Can anyone give us a rundown of daily or monthly expenses (minus rent/we own a house). We have a good size lot and we plan to grow our own food like fruits and veggies (organic living). Also is Cavite and Batangas a great place to live and start a business?

Can anyone can give us advice for starting a business with 100K budget (or less) and what type of business would that be? one of our plan is to start a coffee shop/bakery good for 25, not sure if this is do-able though with our budget.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice  ;)

i would suggest u to make clothing business by that capital. u can be a very good clothing dealer in ur area. i have seen a lot of people are earning very good amount of money just investing less than that amount. so i would suggest u to invest half of the amount for clothing and rest u can invest something else. Filipinos are very much shopaholic they love to buy a lot cloths. from my exp. i wd say clothing business. if u are in need of direct supplier for Bangladesh clothing items let me know. thanks

This question has already been asked elsewhere. Please check the forum before posting duplicate questions! There is a lot of feedback from users on the other thread... Good luck!

We met 2 expats who invested their money in family businesses that failed to work and were forced to sell off at a loss. The family insists on being all employed and that is the main trouble because they haven't any idea of making a business work.  A hair dressing salon in the centre of town where we went for my wife to have her hair cut, just a “choir boy” type style and all the girls didn't know how to do it. A pc internet cafe also ran by the family that didn't make money. An English guy in Lemery put all his savings in family investments and lost it all.  So for the business to work, employ qualified staff that is if the family will allow it !

We know an expat friend in Lemery who opened a mobile phone business and was doing well until several other Filipinos opened a similar business nearby. If you can think of something new thats isn't around and maybe profitable then thats the way to go OR a business that charges less than whats around for the same thing?  Coming from abroad you may have an idea that hasn't been used yet and involves a machine that you can import.  Proving a service of some sort is the alternative to selling. Learn a skill abroad and use it in the Philippines. There is the popular business of  single apartments near to a large shopping complex that always do well but remember that these need some planning and employing the sturdy furniture, convert a large rambling house into smaller living accommodation. Don't have families because they bring problems. Even provide a quick snack breakfast for workers....mmmmhhhhmm smell that coffee already

if you need to start and own a business to be able to live in the philippines best advise dont come stay where you are.

Very true yet foreigners marry girls that expect an income and this is where the "start a business " begins. Met a young Filipino couple who had made a good amount from a sari store that was close to a school. He had family members out in the road taking orders to reduce the time with serving which i though was a good idea. A member of the family was stealing from him and he found out when the member bought a new motorcycle  which of course he couldn't afford with his salary. So good money can be earned if the business is well thought out.

Hi,

I'm Jco..i want to let you know that people in here likes to eat but with low price, you can open bakery store but i think not really fast to earn money.

100,000 pesos. A family can steal that much in a week. I can tell you all sorts of true stories. The sari sari store with the profits literally eaten, the internet cafe with the equipment sold, one of my favorites, the fish farm with the fish that never grew because the family sold the big fish and replaced them with small ones. 100K is not much to start with and whatever you do you need to watch the business every minute of every day or you will be wiped out by your own employees.

@dimplesz14 There are a lot of businesses to do with 100k. But, you can have a legal consultation first before making a decision in order to know if you are on the right track. I know a legal outsourcing company based in the Philippines, it is called Tan Hassani & Counsels Law Offices. If you are interested, you may check their website [link under review]/
-@karlhuertocabrera

This bears Repeating

What about the water station and delivery service

@Mkloby66 It would likely depend on how many water venders are in the area already. The bakery across the road from me fills 20 liter jugs from their deep well for P25. It seems that here in province all it takes is a deep well and you're in business, but having a well drilled is very expensive.

I have a deep well and relatives have asked why I don't have my well approved and sell water. I explain that I don't need the extra income and don't want to run a business.

@Moon Dog While going through the threads I realized that the OP meant 100K php, not $. I do not know of any sustainable business that can be capitalized here for $2000.  Maybe a trike business? As for a deep well, we live in Valencia, part way up on the volcano Mt. Talinis. I asked the town engineer aboit digging a deep well (not to sell water at 15-25 pesos but for our own use) and he said the water, if we could get to it, dates back millions of years to when the volcano was formed. It would be very pure. But then we called in a well drlller and he told us that we could not drill in our location due to the large rocks underneath. If we could have drilled, the cash layout would have been at least $3K to start before buying the pump etc.. Maybe someday we will call in another driller for a second opinion but not interested in selling water either.

Hello singh_is_king,

Should you want to discuss business feel free to ask your questions here.

Also, contact details should not be posted on the forum for security reasons.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

I don't think op was meaning 100,000 php. They did say they were saving money wherever they are now. This suggests to me that 100k is USD. Though they weren't specific.

People need to eat to live. What do they eat? Pork, chicken, fish, rice.

We have a truly profitable backyard piggery at home. We do not sell meat. We sell pigs. Young 34 day old pigs for fattening, or fattened 5-6 month old pigs with hanging slaughter weights around 100-112 kilos each.

We have a installed a biogas tank for waste and actually use the biogas in the dirty kitchen outside. It's a smelly business but this helps a ton!

We sell the fattened hogs to a meat shop. Our quality is so good they take everything we produce whenever we ask. They prefer ours over other back yard piggery operations because we insist on good breeding and take care of the hogs.

It's not an easy business. And most Filipinos just raise and breed and cross breed anything. Then they want to get rid of them at 5 months of age because the feed is expensive and they need the money. They're missing out on a huge difference in profit that way.

1. It's EXTREMELY important to start with good breeds of gilts/sows. Long bodies, strong legs, 12 teets minimum, good bloodline, sturdy vs infections and climate.
  2. Buy the best quality feed for each stage of growth. This will help produce the more preferred lean meat.
  3. Constantly clean. We bath each and every pig and their stalls twice a day. They'll still get extremely dirty in-between. But this helps prevent issues and keeps neighbors happier. Also looks really good if you get inspection. We know.
  4. Live on the same property. Otherwise pigs will be missing.

Last year we looked into the feasibility of establishing our own call center operation in Philippines to handle various back office functions for medical practices we work with in the US (making patient appointments, authorizations, billing, coding, collections etc). We didn't follow through for a number of reasons & it's still on the table, however it was definitely a viable & potentially a very lucrative business (as long as you had access to physician practices as we do)