Passport held by employer

Hi all,

my employer keeps all foreign workers passport for 'safe-keeping'.

just want to ask if this is legal ? is there a law stating that employers are not allowed to keep employees passport?

Thank you.

Regards

I know for fact no one has any right to keep any of your belongings, little alone your passport, this is criminal, and they should have been reported to authorities ASAP
your passport should be in your safe keepings not others, for me I will never allowed this to happen, you must feel you are in jail right now, no freedom for you.

If you are an American, passports are legally considered the property of the United States government. Your employer has stolen the passport under US law. You can contact the State Department to report the theft and they will assist you to get the paper returned to you. If you are a citizen of another country, contact your government as they probably have similar laws.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Disrespectful
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Passports are the property of the issuing authority, thus can't legally be taken away from you by anyone other than an authorised person, employers not being on that short list.

You have an issue in that any action could effect your status at work, but you have the right to demand the passport and, if it isn't returned, report it as stolen to your embassy and/or the police.

Apart from anything else,if the document isn't recoverable, it can be cancelled by your embassy and at least an emergency travel document be issued to get you back to Singapore.

Singapore passports are valuable to thieves as they are a very powerful passport, thus are likely to fetch a lot on the black market.
Imagine if yours is out there, sold to a criminal or terrorist, and you won't know a thing about the loss for months.
Whilst that scenario is possible, it's more likely the employer is trying to stop you running away but, whatever the reason, you can demand it back.

You have to balance up the risks, the possibility of your employer becoming angry against the risk of a stolen passport and what could happen if that's the case.

Personally, I'd demand it back first thing on Monday morning, but it isn't my decision as I don't know the details of your situation.

Reason : Off-topic.

Reason : Disrespectful

When we took a 10 day cruise out of Singapore on Sapphire Princess they took our passports and gave us a receipt before we got on the ship.  They gave us a photocopy of our passports, but no one ever asked to see anything but our cabin key card in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.  We got our passports back the last night of the cruise before docking the next day in Singapore.  Don't know of any other situations I would hand over my passport for 9 days.

Giving your passport to anyone is definitely not a smart move. Go get it back ASAP. While the employer has it he has you by the balls and can dictate whatever he wants to you or even sell it on the black market.  If he won't return it, go to your consulate or embassy and they will get it sorted. Ask them for a job while you're there. Can't imagine your employer being too happy with you.

Your passport is the property of your Govt and is issued to you on their behalf. Employers often hold passports as a way of keeping employees from leaving. If you are worried about this then contact your Embassy for information.

Wow I didn't know that this is also happening in Philippines I thought it is only happening here.  Anyhow your passport is owned by your government you should ask your passport from your employer.  they can only ask  the copy of your passport if needed in processing of documents in a certain country but you should be the holder of your passport.  By the way I try to ask my employer to keep my passport because it is safer they have vault but they refuse because by Law here it should be given to the owner.

Like any other personal property, your passport is your personal property and cannot be usurped. It is your right, as in the case of any personal property, to protect. The usurpation of a passport smacks of illegal detention (kidnap) and the denial of personal freedom which requires the due process of law. The matter should not even be subject to question, it is illegal and immoral to deny anyone's personal freedom. Don't be bullied, don't be stupid.

[Post under review]

BALUT_BREATH wrote:
bobquinn0801 wrote:

If you are an American, passports are legally considered the property of the United States government. Your employer has stolen the passport under US law. You can contact the State Department to report the theft and they will assist you to get the paper returned to you. If you are a citizen of another country, contact your government as they probably have similar laws.

And say goodbye to your job...

Possibly so.  But I think that is a blessing in disguise.  Who wants to work for a company that steals your property?  Plus, think of the control that it gives the employer over the employee?  "We don't have the money to pay your salary for the last month but we have your passport, so you'll have to accept that if you ever want to see your passport again!"

[Post under review]

I think most people are concerned about the job then who got what over them, after all it is just a passport no big deal they can not sale it or use it, it is yours to have after you finish your contract with them, they just feel more secure if they keep it, they don't trust you, or you may steal and run off with someone, you have to understand them first before you make this complaint.

samangelevski wrote:

I think most people are concerned about the job then who got what over them, after all it is just a passport no big deal they can not sale it or use it, it is yours to have after you finish your contract with them, they just feel more secure if they keep it, they don't trust you, or you may steal and run off with someone, you have to understand them first before you make this complaint.

I'm Sorry sir but I don't agree with you if you are living other than your country it is important because your passport can be use to abuse their authority over you. I know of a person who can't even go outside the house just to buy her personal necessity because her employer holds her passport considering that the country imposed fine on those employer who violates this law.  I am trying to locate her for me to report the employer I can't even meet with her just to give him some filipino foods that she miss because the employer doesn't want to.  though she is not treated badly but she is overwork. with regards to the trust or if he/she law violate the law I just want you to know that a country can always issue hold departure order and we have international treaties/law with other country in case such things happen so what is the reason to hold the passport?

You do not mention your nationality.

Ask your embassy, the passport is yours and your country of origin. 

that said, my experience is that employers that hold passports are jailers and treat employees as prisoners or worst slaves.

Just saying after many years in the middle east.

What country are you in? In Saudi Arabia it was common practice for the employer to keep your passport and I believe it was also Saudi Law. You should also have a copy for your own safety. Due to political (Terrorist activities) we the British, were told I believe in 2006, that we could keep our passports in case we needed them for emergency exit. And yes a British passport is the property of the British government you are only the passport holder

that said, my experience is that employers that hold passports are jailers and treat employees as prisoners or worst slaves

I know that many Indian people were held as slaves by their Saudi employers Has anyone heard of a company called Al Shamrany  Located in The Eastern province I wouldn't trust them and have good reason to say so.

Dennigmt wrote:

What country are you in? In Saudi Arabia it was common practice for the employer to keep your passport and I believe it was also Saudi Law. You should also have a copy for your own safety. Due to political (Terrorist activities) we the British, were told I believe in 2006, that we could keep our passports in case we needed them for emergency exit. And yes a British passport is the property of the British government you are only the passport holder

Hi Dennigmt,

Good day! I just want to inform you that  Saudi has gone a lot of changes since 2006 under Saudi Law "now" the owner of the passport should keep their own passport though there are still some employers who violate this law, as for my employer we ask them to safe keep our passport but they refuse because they don't want to violate the policy regarding this matter. unfortunately this practice are not only happening in Saudi but also in other country.  That is why i'm trying to locate my friend to report her employer but as far as I know her employer treats her well.

@mugtech they only do that for people who don't have visa for the counties they are visiting . if u don't come back to the ship they will land your passport to the Authority's. because  they present your passport for immigration inspection i worked o the ship before as a purser.

@mugtech they only do that for people who don't have visa for the counties they are visiting . if u don't come back to the ship they will land your passport to the Authority's. because  they present your passport for immigration inspection i worked o the ship before as a purser.

-@fgarthon

Purser? wow, that was a few days ago. I worked as Chief Steward in the early-mid eighties. There were very few Purser jobs left. Some T2 tankers, some old boom ships. But those were becoming few and far between.

BTW, this thread was 5 yrs old. 1f609.svg