Aussie moving to Valencia

Hi All, my name is Lynn and I was born in London, UK and immigrated to Australia with my parents when I was 9 years old. Before I retired I was a Special Education teacher. I have been married for 34 years. I have been living in Vietnam for the past 5 years and have travelled South East Asia extensively having also lived for a time in India and Thailand. My husband and myself are relocating to Valencia, Spain in November of this year for a change of pace to Asia. My husband and myself are also vegetarian and have been for quite a number of years. We are both passionate about experiencing different cultures and meeting and making new friends.

What a lovely introduction; welcome to the forum.

Hi,

I don't know what it's like finding vegetarian food in Valencia but here in Menorca its rarer than tits on a boar.  Most locals think that fish are vegetables, likewise they think a vegetarian dish is one than has vegetables in it as well as meat.  Valencia is bigger and probably more international but be prepared to go hungry from time to time, especially in airports.

Tortilla Espanol is OK and tostada is good for breakfast, but eventually you would like to eat something else.  Just thank god you aren't vegans.

We have been reduced to buying Tartex online at extortionate prices.

Hungry from Menorca

Hi, Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Currently we live in Vietnam and have been here for 5 years. Vietnamese eat vegetarian food for 2 days every month (Buddhist) but the vegie restaurants here are basically hot box situations (without the hot box). I am a vegetarian/vegan chef and eating out is always a good thing for me  because then someone else does the cooking. I will stay in touch and let you know how we go in Valencia. So, are you vegetarian? I suppose so if you are buying Tartex and willing to sell a limb to get it.

Hi again, I just read some background info and was impressed to hear that you are an ordained member of the Triratna Buddhist Order. I have been practicing meditation for years. We lived for a while in India and so I was able to further develop my meditation skills there. Before becoming a chef I was a Special Education teacher for 20 years and I found that meditation helped with the stress of my job, that is how it all started for me.

Hi Lynn,

Both a vegetarian and a Buddhist.  I lived in in France for many years on the border of the Basque Country.  The tourist guides to this region said, "If you are a vegetarian, be prepared to compromise or starve".  I compromised and ate fish when dining out.

I hope your move to Vallencia is successful.  It is a beautiful city and my experience of the Spanish is that they are probably the most sociable people in Europe - nobody enjoys life more.

Bahiya

Hi Lynn,

There are quite a few vegetarian places here in Valencia, and more and more people here are becoming vegetarians. My sister is one and she is doing well. There is also active Expat community if you are interested. Also, if you need some help with your relocation process, my sister is doing a good job helping out expats like you.

Zanda

Hi Zanda, Thanks for the information about vegetarian restaurants in Valencia. It is great to hear there are quite a few options for us to go out and enjoy a meal. Graham and I are very keen to meet other expats. We will be in Valencia at the end of October this year. As far as relocation goes it will only be Graham and I and our suitcases. We are currently living in Vietnam where we have been for the past 5 years, one of our sons lives with us and he is staying in Vietnam and so we are leaving everything here for him. We are wanting to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in Valencia up to 500 euros per month, we hope to have an apartment organized for when we arrive in Valencia, we are looking on the internet regularly so that we can get some idea of what is available. Thanks again for contacting me I really appreciate your help. It would be great to stay in touch and maybe catch up together when we arrive in Valencia.
Lynn