Thinking of moving from Thailand to Spain

Hi
I am a British citizen and have been living in Thailand for the last 14 years, currently in Koh Samui. I work in an English International School. I've now got the urge to move on having split up with my husband a couple of years ago and would love to give somewhere else a go and Spain appeals to me as it has the climate (which is essential!) and it's closer to home. It would be ideal for my 10 year old daughter as there is so much more to do than here which will be more noticeable to her as she gets older. I am returning to England for a holiday this summer for the first time in 7 years and will have time to spend a week somewhere in Spain to see how I feel about the place. I have spent a lot of time on the internet looking at places in Spain. I have never lived away from the sea so that is important to me. I really like the look of Valencia and have also had a look at Malaga and I know both these places have British schools I could apply to. I wonder if you would be kind enough to write me your impressions of Valencia. I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
Tracey

Hi Tracey

I think your idea of looking at the Valencia region is inspired!  Anywhere north of Altea will be very pretty and green most of the time.  I have lived in Javea for 7 years now and would not change locations for anywhere else in Spain.  Of course, there are varying degrees of Spanishness in this area and it totally depends on how much you will want to integrate.  Not everyone wants that in reality - sometimes it's something they think they want but it seems to be out of reach for some reason (usually language ability). Ex-pat life is very (too) easy to find here.

Javea is half way between 2 international airports - Alicante being only an hour drive south and very easy.  There is a good range of beaches all along the Costa Blanca if you like those and there is the usual touristic things associated.  But you can also get out into the country side very easily - in fact we live a 15 minute walk from the cutest old pueblo even though we are surrounded by valley and mountain with fabulous walking terrain.  It is really beautiful.  Although they are calling Valencia sub-tropical - don't be deceived - the winters can be dull and cold.

The international schools around here are ok - Lady Elizabeth is one of them and Xabia International College (XIC) would be worth looking up on the internet.  At 10 years old your daughter will undoubtedly find changing countries and language(s)- (note the obligatory learning of Valenciano in school) a challenge but so much depends on her inner resources as to whether she will take to the changes or not.  You have to do whatever you have to do.  I don't have kids so can only go on my own experiences of being an expat kid.

As for comparing this place with other parts of Spain - I am inexperienced on that score so I can only speak for Valencia.  If there is anything else specific you need to know just PM me - I'd be delighted to help.

Good luck
Lizzy