Freedom of speech

Voltaire's “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
Approved or disapproved ?
Reason against calamity ?
Logic against absurdity ?
Take you pic ?

Hi derrarhassane,

Please note that that i have moved your topic to the Expat Cafe - open discussions section of the forum. It better suits your topic.

Maybe just to add that the quote you mentioned is actually from Evelyn Beatrice Hall, an english writer who depicted the reaction of Voltaire in the biography she wrote of him.

Then again, it illustrates an episode where another writer's book was condemned by the Parlement de Paris and he found the incident appalling.

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Please note that that i have moved your topic to the Expat Cafe - open discussions section of the forum. It better suits your topic.

I agree with you, but I have a suggestion.

That being to ask Julian if he could add a "Pointless moans from people who post a load of cut and paste rubbish" section.

Freedom of speech is rubbish ?
Democracy is not really the order of day for some .
The quote is from Voltaire , hope someone with little of education will known who he is .
Don't mean to be rude , but people please try to have a decent dialogues and not trading insults, because that's really shallow

Le mot n'étant signifiant que lorsque il donne aux portes du silence .

derrarhassane wrote:

Freedom of speech is rubbish ?

No, it's generally fine as long as it isn't just to excuse bad behaviour of some sort.
Many people use the FOS speech excuse to spread hate, whilst others use it to spread spam.

I can speak for my self and I can only talk about what I know .
People who spread hate maybe they have different agenda ?
My only concerns is to speak the truth  and to highlight the truth , that indifference, that judgments without facts , that misconception , that preemptive attacks on people by slandering and demonizing them , is not a freedom of speech .
It is an alienation .

derrarhassane wrote:

My only concerns is to speak the truth

or post a load of cut and paste stuff?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#3205185

And the point is ?

Voltaire might very well have contributed to the internet with a lovely treasure trove of quotes, but he didn't moderate forums.
I've every confidence our French polymath friend would have change a few of his views on freedom of speech if he was faced with a pile of cut and paste poop.

Let me ask you a simple question , before internet was invented , how did people do there search and publish documents or books .......?
I recommend for you my dear , to think a bit before talking none sense .
Let say something in French and I will ask you to find out who said it ." Rien ne ce fais , rien ne ce créa , le tous ce transforme ".

Evolution how does it happen ?
Does it just arrive all the sudden ?
Albert Einstein from where did he unfortunately internet didn't exist in his time , having said that he did read and try to understand .
In our time people read but don't understand , only jump to conclusion with a very narrow mind .
Freedom of speech is to have to capacity to observe , quote , criticized , give an opinion but not be alienated or demonized .

"What a fuss about an omelette"!  :rolleyes:https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Beatrice_Hall

and here :

http://www.themarysue.com/voltaire-beat … elyn-hall/http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/331.htmlhttp://www.voltaire.ox.ac.uk/www_vf/abo … nt_say.pdf

Have a nice weekend,
Bhavna

I like omelettes, especially with a mixture of herbs, a little beef and something nice and spicy. There is the slight down side of the noxious gasses next morning, but I try to go outside before emitting them so my wife doesn't complain.
The neighbours probably assume the drains are blocked because eggy ones are always the worst.

I'm most concerned at possible male chauvinism here. The OP has taken a quote written by a lady, but has told us a man said it.
We've just had Kartini day here, a national celebration of women's rights and equality, but we now have a thread where the right of a lady to be credited with her own words is deny'd (I'm studying Shakespeare in early modern English - We all need a hobby;  live with it).

As a note, Einstein was a bit thick.
He claimed speeds greater than that of light are impossible, but I've watched Star trek, thus am aware he was wrong.
That and he talked utter rot about black holes. Hawkins put us straight on Einstein's mistakes there.

Before the internet, there were libraries, quiet places with books where you'd do research on any given subject, or possibly read Enid Blyton stories.
Perhaps pre library era posters would enjoy this informative link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hk28DFxLbY

I quoted someone and you people turn , spin it to sexist and anti feminism ,....

You people are truelly missing the point , it is not about the packages , it is about the content of packages .
No body yet know for sure what is the contentes of dark matter ( anti matter ) but one thing for sure it does exist and it reside in many people with a very narrow and extreme views .
We are all human , lets celebrate humanity not alienate it or out against each other's . man and  woman are equally the same , the right of woman is no more then the rights of man and visa versa .
Enfant are born half chromosome of male and others half of female , in normal circumstances .
If there is deficit now in this century , it is not a financial one , but the biggest deficit is of dignity and morals .

Dark matter and anti matter aren't the same thing.
Anti matter is known, factual and has been created artificially in particle accelerators as well as being observed occurring naturally, but dark matter is purely theoretical at this point.

Of course freedom of speech allows you to claim they're the same, but accuracy compels me to inform you you're wrong.

I'm sure you'll allow me the freedom of speech to inform you your teachers appear to have been a little less than adequate in their position as educators or, and I'm sure this isn't true but science dictates we must look at all possibilities, you could have been a less than an adequate student.

As Charles Dickens said, "Star trek is a great educator", or was than Emily Pankhurst?

Again you missing the point , it is not about the package but the content of the package .
Sciences has never claim to be pure or perfect , and I am not claiming that at all . Education's is about an open mind to absorb information and to learn or differentiate between wrong and right .
I am not going to get to same level and have personal attack just to make my self feel better ( lack of estime for the person who does that ) .
I quoted someone for a purpose to express an opinion should not be alienated but debated again the content not who wrote it .
And if you allow me to write a quote in French ( you may get the translation and find out who wrote ) " le mot n'étant signifiant que lorsque il donne aux portes du silence ."

derrarhassane wrote:

No body yet know for sure what is the contentes of dark matter ( anti matter ) but one thing for sure it does exist and it reside in many people with a very narrow and extreme views .

Quite an ironic statement, since you speak so much about alienation of others.  Don't exclude yourself, dark matter passes through you also.  :lol:

derrarhassane wrote:

I can speak for my self and I can only talk about what I know .

You clearly don't understand physics on the level you believe you do.

I'd recommend you spare us the further cutting and pasting of others words (especially in French since this is an English language forum).  You don't seem to know how to correctly and properly cite the words of others.  Free speech is one thing, responsible speech is another.

Truly well said!

romaniac wrote:

Free speech is one thing, responsible speech is another.

Fred wrote:

Before the internet, there were libraries, quiet places with books where you'd do research on any given subject, or possibly read Enid Blyton stories.

When I was a kid I read all the book of the famous five. Love them!

Or am I now off topic?  :/

Primadonna wrote:

In English or German (or otherwise)?  :)

Would you believe me if I say Dutch?

El_Jost wrote:
Primadonna wrote:

In English or German (or otherwise)?  :)

Makes no difference, it's all Greek to me.

I was more a Shakespeare fan.

Primadonna wrote:

Would you believe me if I say Dutch?

As a youngster I read a few maybe 3 or 4 from our school library that I could get my hands on. When they first appeared in our school (in South Africa) they were very popular among the younger children.
Looking in Wikipedia I am surprised now how early they first starting appearing with the first one "Five on a Treasure Island" published in 1942.
However, they were the sort of books that as a kid one quickly grew out of.
So they were also translated into Dutch?  I later saw they they were also available in German when I saw my niece reading one when she was a young teenager.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR