Help with iphone

Hi all,

I have a new question, I don't quite understand how the phonecards here in Riyadh work...my husband got an iphone 4 here in Riyadh...he's had it unlocked and bought a sim card for it from mobily (a card specific for iphone 4)....the phone works just fine, he is able to make and receive calls, but there's no data signal.  I noticed there is a Mobily public wifi that is offered as a connection option, but it requires a code....was there a code on the card his sim card was attached to that is now lost since he threw it away?

Thanks,

ILW

I'm not an I-phone person. there are a few of them around in the forum. hope they drop a line to help.

oh, an why not buy an I phone here? its easier no?

Salman,

The phone was bought here, the company my husband now works for got him the phone and told him to go get his own sim card for it.....things work a little differently in the USA....if the company gives you a phone it usually already has service installed....they usually already have a relationship with a certain phone carrier.....and even when buying personal phones, people don't usually buy a phone without a service provider already attached to it...you pick your phone and phone plan all at once and walk away with the sim card already installed and everything working.....we don't generally use prepaid sim cards which is what my husband now has.....I've notice there are some post-paid options as well, but those also confuse me....I can't quite determine what the best phone options/services best suit expats.

I'm just too new and too lost at this moment I'm afraid. :(  I'm a woman who's been stuck alone in a hotel for the past couple of weeks while hubby is working....trying to figure things out while waiting to get into a compound...so my only avenue for information has been the internet as I have no options to interact with people.  And finding what I need on the internet has been very difficult and frustrating.

Hi ILW and welcome... ya even i heard of some data issues with the micro SIM but only for 3G services... will keep u informed if i get any answers to ur wifi thingy

Thanks shahab.ali I very much appreciate it.

You have to subscribe to mobily data service.

350 sar for unlimited

Less for less MB.

The Wifi is for Wimax.

Best to go into mobily store and ask for 3g data service on the sim, have some cash ready as they sometimes say the card machines do not work.

Or you can download the mobily app for iphone and register on the webise. use the log in details on the iphone and turn the service on there but make sure you have credited the phone with enough cash first.

As Nelson said you have to sign up for a data service.

Had the same problem myself when my company only took out a sim with no data, once that was sorted had 3g connection.

If you go to a mobily store to have this done, go to the one at Granada Mall.  Those guys are really professional and know how to resolve any problems in a jiffy.

Whatever you do, DON'T go to the women's store downtown near Fasilia.  They only know how to sell--apparently weren't trained to troubleshoot.  You'll leave more frustrated than when you began!

Welcome to Riyadh ILW!  Im sure you will get things sorted out.  Best of luck!

Sorry this is off topic but...

Salman, nice pic!  :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the replies, I am most grateful! :)

i know im not suppose to ask questions here.. but i really really want to know if theres any place in riyadh where i can find iphone 4.. i went to jarir bookstore but their prices are way too expensive..
and i also heard about mobily but i dnt trust their services.. i have had a very bad experience with them..
please helpp

go to Mursalat Mobile Market

@ ILW.. Sorry but I'm kinda new here myself.. I wish I could help.. maybe next time.. :)

@ Everyone else.. My Brother from Jeddah looked all over the place for the iphone 4 mobily was offering.. he searched all the mobily stores in jeddah and riyadh.. didnt miss out a single one.. (thanks to tom tom).. anyway.. he ended up buying it from jarir bookstore for SR 4000! (yeah he can do that..I cant!)

So can anyone help..?

where can I buy me an iphone 4..? and how much..? I think I've been to Mursalat Mobile Market.. Not sure.. what street is it at again~ :|

you can get a new one for 3200(16GB) & 3600(32GB) and used one for around 2800 -3000. The market is flooded with iPhone 4's, there are also a couple of kiosks in Kingdom Mall and they also offer it at the same price.

Mursalat on King AbdulAziz St. (Old Airport Road) If you are heading north on this street, its the next signal from Hayat Mall.

Does Granada Mall have Mobily store?

chonalucila wrote:

Does Granada Mall have Mobily store?

Yes. On first floor.

Isnt it a good option to buy an iPhone online?

It's better to buy it from local dealers. The online price + shipping will be the same as local price. Apart from that, warrantee will be a huge issue with an online purchased phone.

Beware of the online offers too good to be true.

andang wrote:

Isnt it a good option to buy an iPhone online?

Online meaning to say from apple website
In my understanding the warranty holds good anywhere across the globe

Not exactly @andang. There's no Apple store in KSA. Where would you take the phone in case of problems?

makes sense,TheLegendLeads (TLL) :)