Can a foreign father remain in VN?

If you are married to a VNese and have a child with that wife, then divorce, can you remain in Vietnam in some sort of status. I understand you can get a TRC if you have a spouse or relative here. Would a child qualify? I want to stay here and be a part of my child's life.

I didn't see any law mentioned about this situation. Normally your VEC / TRC will void soon after the divorce or end of that period. So you should find some other way to stay here  :)  Foreigners who are parents, spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens are eligible to obtain a VEC and TRC but don't know how it works when divorced. Your child can be your sponsor when she/he get the National ID ( they should complete 14 years to get the ID-CMND), I think so.

Vagabondone wrote:

If you are married to a VNese and have a child with that wife, then divorce, can you remain in Vietnam in some sort of status. I understand you can get a TRC if you have a spouse or relative here. Would a child qualify? I want to stay here and be a part of my child's life.

Charm has started with some good advice on this subject but please wait a little bit for some additional advice from a old time member that hasn't posted for a few years and if he does, you can be sure its correct way to go in your situation, but you might not like the information I'm afraid. Besides the visas laws in VN, the ones on  parental custody are even harder for a outsider to understand.

Rick

How did it go with your TRC? As Charm mentioned, if you're a parent of a Viet, you can obtain TRC. For that, I think it should work if you have your marriage certificate + divorce cert. + birth certificate of your child showing that you're the father.

Good luck!

Then who will be the sponsor?  :)

Ngan Khanh wrote:

How did it go with your TRC? As Charm mentioned, if you're a parent of a Viet, you can obtain TRC. For that, I think it should work if you have your marriage certificate + divorce cert. + birth certificate of your child showing that you're the father.

Good luck!