Moving to PP this week!

Hi all, I have been planning to move to PP since September with my boyfriend because of a job opportunity. Our friends from America opened a restaurant with their cousin who lives in PP and offered me a bar managing position. We get there on Sunday the 27th of March, 2016 however, yesterday she called me and let me know they would not be able to afford my salary of $1,000 per month so essentially, I lost the job less than a week before I am supposed to move there. Any advice on how hard it is to find a job? A place to rent? (was supposed to get accommodation through them too) My boyfriend seems to think everything will fall in to place and we will be ok but I am a little more skeptic than he is.

Your Boyfriend is naieve .Work VERY DIFFICULT! !!!! Accommodation  is easy ! Better have Savings or u r going to be Very Uncomfortable!

hello,

I will be fly to Cambodia on 27th this month from China, and i am going to find a place to create a simple cafe, I am executive chef with experience around 25 years in mediterranean cuisine, so why we cannot corporate together to own our business?

Best Regards,

Sam

your from the U.S.??  you can get a teaching gig EASY... just google the schools...   even if you do not have a masters degree or even a bachelor degree.. its super easy..

just make  a resume/cv... be sure to include your photo.. khmer love pictures... and if your white? i think you are?/ you will get a job even easier!!!

it sounds funny but its true.... 

any other questions, ask away

That may be true but the pay for teaching jobs ALMOST ALL. The time is terrible ! Have Savings or you will be spending a short time in Cambo

i am also coming to pp and i am also thinking to open a resturant so i am also a newbie to combodiaif you are willing to have a joint venture plz feel free to let me know through my email o r contact no

xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum + drop an advert in the Business partners in Phnom Penh section if you are looking for a business partner
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

If your partner has a halfway reasonable salary then the cost of rent and living will be covered, so don't panic. Many people live here on very modest pensions, well under $1000 per month.
You will have time to seek out work. Bar manager jobs are not plentiful but do come up, though maybe more so in the tourist towns of Sihanoukville and Siem Reap. 
English teaching jobs tend to come up with each new term and are paid by the contact hour, once you do all the marking and planning the money is not huge. A Cambridge ESL certificate would be very useful.

I have lived in PP since 2005 so have some idea of how the place works. There are around 500 Khmer and expat owned bars in town and most are going broke... simply too many bars for too little custom. A grand per week should be easily managed by a well run bar but if not getting the customers, you wont get paid.
If you have experience running a bar in the US or elsewhere you will be in demand as most owners/managers have no idea of what they are doing resulting in "another one bites the dust" scenario. Also, you can pick up a fully equipped bar from as little as 20K so shop around for a while and consider buying your own rather than working for someone.... providing you know what you are doing.
Good luck!

Wimbledon-

Thank you for your positivity, or lack there of. We have now been in Cambodia for 1.5 weeks and both my boyfriend and I have started very good paying jobs and moved in to a very beautiful serviced apartment. So just to let you know you are quite wrong. Thanks for the input though! ;)