Is Vaci Utca now safe for tourists?

With summer tourist season right around the corner I was wondering if anyone knows if it has been cleaned up as far as tourist crime goes?
Was thinking about the year 2004 or 2005 when my yoga instructor from Las Vegas came to Budapest on holiday with her husband and another couple from LV.
Her son was about to marry a women from HUngary so she wanted to see where her future DIL was from.
These were well traveled wealthy middle aged couples.
Very wealthy in fact, all professionals in the US, all but my friend who only taught yoga for fun.
My friends husband was a slick type guy from NY never thought anyone could get the best of him.
Walking down Vaci Utca a st. guy came up to her husband and asked if he wanted to make some change.
Her husband fell for this, sort of odd since he is a businessman in the US and makes deals all of the time.
He exchanged $500. with this st. changer.
Went on their merry way until later when they tried to use the money.
They were told it wasn't even HU currency and only worth perhaps $200. at best.
Madder then heck they went about their day feeling stupid.
Walked around longer and saw the st, changer on another st. making deals with tourists again.
My friends husband ran over and put his hands around the guys throat and told him he was going to kill him if he didn't get his money back and /or call the cops.
The scammer gave him back all his money on the spot and then some, gave him around $700. and ran away.
Everyone now knows to only use official exchange booths, or at least we hope they know that.
Also are there still many "working girls" hanging around the Utca?
Noticed in the year 2000 they were all over the place, more of them then lady tourists.
Had a personal incident with 2 of them.
Husband , 24 year old son and myself had been touring all day long I got tired and told my husband we would wait for him to come around the block with our car,
Son and I decided to sit on a public bench a two sided bench on Vaci Utca right near where the small side st. is so we could have easy pick up with our car.
The bench was loose on it's bolts and moved when my son sat down next to me. On the other side of the bench 2 working girls were eating some cup of soup or some other junk food meal.
They made a huge verbal thing about my son moving  the bench, he said sorry but being the loose
women in every way possible they also had loose mouths.
Went to far with their insults to my son.
I had to respond in kind, just my way of doing things.
I called them out for what they were and they stormed off, a few moments later one of those big bald body builder pimp types came over to my son and I.
My son, a 6'3" 140 lb at the time skinny "boy" from Cali who had a bone injury from childhood that left his arm shorter then normal with bones of glass( multi bone operations in his youth) was not about to take on this monster by himself.
I got in the middle of the two of them, my son wanted to protect me, so sweet , I just looked at my son and said RUN!! We both ran for it as my husband by chance came around the corner with our car, we jumped in and speed off, the look on the dumb big boy was something, wish I had time to of taken a photo.
My poor hubby too, as we jumped in the car I yelled step on it, poor thing had no idea what was going on. Later he said he couldn't leave me alone for 10 mins without something going crazy.
What can I say?
I personally dislike going on that st. these days so wondering how safe is it really for innocent tourists to go there.
Have the police run these low lifes off from there?

I should restate this as crimes against tourists not tourist crimes.
I am sure those do happen as well.