Defending Yourself

I have been reading threads on gun issues in DR. Where as some gringos will have a gun in their home to protect themselves. Whether purchased in the US or DR. And if used, you are guilty until you can prove your innocent's. Would this also apply to physical injure? The reason I am asking, I trained in MMA, kickboxing and boxing for years. I still visit the gym daily and train with fellow MMA. If someone decide to enter my residence and I put him into the hospital, would I be found guilty until proven innocent?

Wow,  can you be my neighbor please?   I  do not know for sure but here is my thought:  you would be fine as long as they are on your property  without invite! 

Your issue would be if you are out in public and something happens, least amount of force possible.....

I'm Italian, least amount of force LOL

Hahahahaha

Some long time residents here tell me that since the judges and lawyers also don't like home invasions, you get off the hook, so it's a 'de facto'  'make my day' law, even though not 'de jure'.  My locals contacts tell me they just shoot anybody, and it's fine.

Sounds like Out For Justice. I know as a fact I do not have a chance with a gun pointed at me from a distance of 3 feet or more, including a machete. If, the individual is in close proximity within 3 feet or less I have a 90% chance of disarming him

Was witness to a fairly scary incident yesterday in downtown sosua. Two local gentlemen with machetes decided to argue with their machetes. Blades clashed a few times. Rocks thrown. Ran with my family to get out of harms way. What intrigued me no sirens, no police presence or involvement after the incident. Different than back home.

They wouldn't get away with that violence in North America. Their would be police present within 2 minutes or less.

Since time is on my side before heading to DR. Going to train in Kensyobudo. Just a little more protection to add to my resume

Why would you call them "gentlemen"?

It depends: many times the perp is sum bling around in an unfamiliar house, in the dark. He also probably has no idea where u are, and thus won't have his gun pointed at you. You can probably get the drop on him by peeking around some corner, and shooting him before he even knows your there.  If he doesn't have a gun, just get your biggest knife out, eras your prints, and put in his dead hand.

A friend (ex navy seal) came upon an intruder in his home.  I ask him if the guy was still alive.  His response was yes because he did not have a gun.  Then I asked if he called the police and his response was yes after the "gentleman" and I had a short talk.  He said the police then had to take him to the hospital to get is two broken arms set and his leg casted for a mess up knee before carting him off to jail. 

There was NO problem at all from this matter for my friend.

Bob K

We live in a gated community near sosua.  A very large percentage of the community fees we pay go to pay for security. I wonder sometimes if really necessary. The community is fenced and gated. With security cameras. Are security guards placed every hundred yards inside the community needed?  Thoughts?

That would be a big fat YES.  Just wait till you've lived here a really long time,,,, like over a month, after h you've heard daily horror stories, and you'll be hoping there are ENOUGH armed guards around you.

I agree the answer is yes.  We also pay for security in our neighborhood and have both cameras and bodies.

Bob K

Hi guys, I am currently living up the road in Las Terrenas. I have no security guards, cameras or guns. I feel safe here and have had no issues. Do I have my head in the sand or is it dangerous where you live. If so, why do you stay there?

Problem with security guards is on quite a few occasions they were responsible either for the robbery or for setting it up
Cant trust many people here unfortunately!

Exactly that just happened in our gated community.  Sad to hear. But true.