Tips and advice to thrive in Hong Kong

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Hong Kong?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Hong Kong?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

When my company has sent me to HK 15 years ago to work for the Asian region it was relatively easy to adapt to the HK living style, but with time I face more and more difficulties to accept the behaviour of the HK citizen since more and more the politicians adapting the typical mainland system and C.Y. Leung is doing the utmost to present himself as the nice guy doing everything what Mr. Xi is asking for.
The freedom of speech is vanishing step by step, the TV presentations you see are more and more mainland China style, this provides quite a lot of difficulties for persons coming from a real democratic country.
The city is over flooded with mainlanders ( I have nothing against the mainlanders itself) but the behaviour of most people (rude, impolite, extremely loud etc)  is absolutely not acceptable and I can understand that most of the young Hong Kongers have the same feelings as I have.
Because of the current political situation it is nearly impossible to feel like at home and the only possibility to find the own freedom  is to try to dispel these negative feelings. With other words, as long as people from a democratic lead country are coming to HK, it is hardly possible to integrate to the current existing environmental process.
There are still some more point. Air pollution, the terrible traffic, the often unfriendly behaviour of Hong Kongers are adding to the negative feelings. I am sorry that I am unable to add some very positive points.