Matapalo, Guanacaste

Anyone familiar with the condominiums at Cabo Velas in Matapalo, Guanacaste? Any opinions?

Which Matapalo is that? That would be way north of Manuel Antonio, right? (Sorry, I am not familiar with where Guanacaste starts. What is this Matapalo near?)

Cabo Velas and the Guanacaste town of Matapalo are just north of Tamarindo.

Yes, the Matapalo near Tamarindo.

I lived near Cabo Velas for over two years, in Playa Real from 2005 to 2007. Playa Real is five block walk or less from Playa Real through the beach.  I still manage two villas there, in Playa Real.  I am not familiar with the villas at Cabo Vela but I can tell you about getting there and services. Water is a problem during dry season, if a well is close to the ocean it gets salt when the water in the well goes low. I doubt  phone lines gets to the property, and if it doesn't you need to buy a flash drive from the phone company for internet. TV has to be satellite, no cable service. And the road there gets awful bad during raining season and when dry it's a killer on the tires. Road gets scraped once a year for tourist season. There are two ways to get there from Matapalo, the way through Playa Real before reaching Cabo Vela or another road that  passes Playa Real after passing Cabo Vela (It's a circled road). I haven't been on the second road in years but it was bad then. You do need a car, no public transportation except to call a pirate cab from Matapalo. Groceries are expensive. The surroundings and the beaches are beautiful, hardly any neighbors. If  I were by myself I would move in there, get a motorcycle or a 4x4. It isn't a place to be with kids for too long.

MauroN - thanks for that detailed description. That is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

Looking to rent or buy?  We considered buying last year after a visit but decided not to after doing lots of research...so easy to buy but very hard to sell in Costa Rica

We already have a condo we will be renting for 6 months to a year before deciding what we want to do. But I was considering these condos to buy.

The new buildings have a different layout than the earlier buildings with the two bedroom units on the first floor and the three bedroom units on the second floor

Ah that makes sense, because I asked about a ground-level entry with three bedrooms, and the guy said they had one for re-sale. Anyway, we are rethinking based on Mauron's comments. Have had enough of terrible roads and it does seem to be in the middle of nowhere. Guess that's why the price is so low. We decided to stay put in our rental in Junquillal for a year, and then spend time looking up and down the coast. Thanks for your comments.

Hello. where in Junquillal are you. I have a friend who owns, sells and runs around 10 condos there.  The condos are very nice, upscale, so is the landscape of the place, Condos are located a block from the beach. Let me know if interested on seeing them.

Anyone consider purchasing property in Guancaste would be advised to check into the water situation that many of the towns are presently experiencing. Read this info on the vozdequanacaste and a second article

Are those the Villas Ventanas? We have seen those....

Yes, I'm aware of that situation. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes, Villas Ventanas

We looked briefly when we were there in November....When we get down there (hopefully by this May!!!), we'll take another closer look. Thanks.

Alright