A Question about currency and credentials

Does one have to pay in U.S. dollars when transacting business in Nicaragua if the other party demands U.S. dollars only?  Or can you pay them the fair exchange rate value in Cordobas?  I would like to know this before contracting with an attorney.  Also how does an expat check credentials of an attorney in Nicaragua?

It's kinda like living in Louisiana. Let me explain.  The USA is under Civil Law Code. Except Louisiana. They are still under Napolian Law.  Viva la France!  My home state. The banana republic of the US.   Not unlike Nica.  Every time I do a lease in Nica I get a lawyer.  I am still not sure if a degree is required.  Lotsa files and a desk full of papers spread about is a dead giveaway that this person is a lawyer.  Most have a wooden, chain hung and swinging sign saying Lawyer outside there door.  Now if you wish to verify this fella,  go and see the nearest priest at the local church in the town square.  Ask him for a lawyer reference. Preferably a parishenor who attends his mass every Sunday. This will possibly keep you away from the lawyers who graduated from the "Doey, Cheatem & Howe" school of law.
One other thing.  It would be a plus for you to bring along a trusted bilingual person  A bilingual priest would be great. Of course a $25 or so donation will seriously aid your in this endevor.
Don't let the lawyer use his translator.  Use someone you trust.

Thanks mucho!
The scenario is almost exactly as you stated.  The translator is the in-law of the lawyer.  Is there no association that registers lawyers in Nicaragua or would that make much difference in the long run?  Standing firm about not sending money blindly to them is what I did and that changed their tune.  Do most lawyers there work out of their homes?  This particular one did with babies crying in the background and all.  I have found several for rent properties online but refuse to send any money until I am there in person and see a valid lease agreement that I would prefer to have notarized with property owner present.  Your advice truly is Helping as I continue with this journey into the "unknown".  :)

Not all are so shady. The lawyer we encountered in Diriamba was pleasent, knowledgeable and professional. Plus my wife speaks Spanish. A huge advantage.