Best cities to live in Brazil

I am sure the roaches do fly but are just feeling too hot to try  :lol:

abthree,

I absolutely enjoy reading your responses. Your city sounds wonderful. I have a lot of friends that say it's best to live as high as you can in the apartment buildings because of the bugs not flying very high up.

CraigF wrote:

abthree,

I absolutely enjoy reading your responses. Your city sounds wonderful. I have a lot of friends that say it's best to live as high as you can in the apartment buildings because of the bugs not flying very high up.

Thanks!  There's a lot of truth to that.  Mosquitoes are especially weak flyers. 
In addition to being high, our apartment has extremely good ventilation.  We have huge windows and walkout balconies on our living room and three bedrooms that open on the south and east, and an service area window that looks north.  Most of the weather here comes either from the north or east, so we have a pretty strong breeze through all day.  Besides being pleasant in itself, that makes things tough for most flyers.  Also for any papers we leave lying around, as we've learned to our annoyance.  We treat it as an incentive to be neat and tidy.  ;-)

Yeah, I live at ground level and walk around with my electric racket. I use it as needed to eradicate pests. I really enjoy opening up the house and letting the air blow through as well.

We just arrived in Recife for the start of a 2 week vacation! Take care and enjoy your city. I hope to make it there in the near future.

Hi, please can anyone advised me on the best location in Brazil to buy an affordable home, maybe a three bedroom apartment?

Depends on what you look after.  If sitting by the beach side is your thing, there are plenty options out there. 

I would make suggestions on getting a balanced choice:

1.Overall Quality of the local Health Care System
2.Availability of Public Transportation
3.Are you a wage earner or are you retired, or are you planning to open a business ?
4.Inland or coastline ?
5.Crime tolerant or low crime?
6.Do you want or need to be close to fellow expats?
7.How close to a major hub, / airport

There is no absolute about where is best to be.  Set up a score card

I would love to pitch my places, but again, there are just too many variables to consider and ponder.

Hello Sprealestatebroker, thanks for the below suggestions, I think this will help:
1.Overall Quality of the local Health Care System.. very essential
2.Availability of Public Transportation..... essential
3.Are you a wage earner or are you retired, or are you planning to open a business ? .... I'm a business owner
4.Inland or coastline ? ..... inland
5.Crime tolerant or low crime? .... Very low or possibly none..lol
6.Do you want or need to be close to fellow expats?... Yes but not a must
7.How close to a major hub, / airports.... Relatively close.
Hope this information will give you a clue or a picture of what I want.

I'm looking for a real estate agent who actually wants to assist and sell our property with 2 houses in Patamares, Salvador. Can anyone recommend somebody?

Unless I am reading it wrong, this thread has been very inactive lately.

As a pilot for a global airline I have spent hundreds of days in the big cities, but I have never ventured out to the countryside.

Rio--by far--is the least secure city for expats.

Sao Paulo would be perfect for me, but too expensive if I retire early--unfortunately.

In my opinion, and I have taken subways all over Sao Paulo day and night, there is NO COMPARISON (provided one stays out of the know bad areas)  to the risks one takes in Rio venturing out anywhere--day or night.

I intend to retire soon, in either Uruguay or Brazil and have my sights set on the south--no further from Uruguay than Porto Alegre.

Anyone ever been to Uberlandia or the southern countryside way, way down south?

Thanks in advance.

I was once, along time ago, in Santana do Livramento, a town that borders Uruguay.  The thing I remember from it, besides being a small but busy town, was the yellow line that marked the border between the two countries right in the middle of an avenue.  No fences, no guards, no crossing gates.  Just the yellow line which one would cross at will, any time.
I was looking for a sheepskin jacket at the time and asked about it to a Brazilian policeman.  He just told me to go to the Uruguay side, where I would find them better and cheaper.

Thanks Ron

Yes I have been to chui (dirty little border town) sane thing.  One can cross
At Williams

Same thing.....Can cross at will....

Joao Pessoa, Paraiba

Best cities to live in Brazil (my view):

1. The beach: Florianopolis, SC
2. A big city : Curitiba, PR
3. Mountain: Gramado, RS
4. The interior: Foz do Iguaçu (Hi Texanbrasil)

Cities in the Southern half of the Country far better in terms of quality of life, balanced seasons, cost of living, and low crime.  And some São Paulo hinterland cities.

Enumerating a few amongst many,....

Curitiba, PR
Londrina, PR
Blumenau, SC
Joinville, SC
Camboriu, SC
Caxias do Sul, RS
Maringa, PR
São Caetano do Sul, SP
Holambra, SP
Campinas, SP
Sâo Carlos, SP
Ribeirão Preto, SP
Indaiatuba, SP
Taubaté, SP
São Jose dos Campos, SP
Sorocaba, SP

I have heard great things about Joinville

sprealestatebroker & everyone thanks for the info

I am going to investigate these cities

I'd like to drop my opinion as a Brazilian, as someone who currently lives abroad, but sometimes still consider moving back there and wondering to which part of such a big/diverse country should I move back to.

As a general rule, I would always suggest looking for mid-size (for Brazilian standards) cities in states that do better economically.

When I say mid-size cities, I refer to any city with 500k to 900k inhabitants. That means, generally, not the capitals, but the second/third/fourth... lagest city in a state. In those type of cities, you generally have good infrastructures (transport, hopsitals, college, etc), good opportunities for entertaiment, but they are less chaotic and have less crime rate compared to the capitals and big cities.

As for the states, the ones with stronger economy and infrasctructure are: Sao Paulo (state), Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro (state) and the southern states of Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. (Altough the situation of most the states currently in Brazil are pretty bad after the recent rescession, they are all in the red, only Sao Paulo being the state with its economy in the black).

That said, these are the ones I recommend:

1) Any mid-sized city around the metropolitan area the Sao Paulo (city). That consists basically these cities: Sao Bernardo do Campo, Santo Andre, S. Jose dos Campos, Ribeirao Preto and Sorocaba - in which my sister lives in and loves it. (Reference: https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_de_ … opulação) You will find good quality of life and good facilities, good entartainment, less crime and you can reach Sao Paulo capital pretty quick by car, whenever you need to.

2) Uberlandia (in Minas Gerais):  this is a somewhat biased suggestion, as it's my hometown. But still, Uberlandia is a mid-sized city (around 600k to 700k people I believe) which is pretty good and comparable in quality of life and facilities with the ones cited above. You will find good facilities too, good free college, entertainment opportunities, the traffic is not chaotic, meaning you can reach places quick by car or bus. Cost of living is not very high, so rents, restaurants, etc tend to be way cheaper than in Sao Paulo or Rio cities. Lastly, people of Minas Gerais tend to be very warm-hearted and welcoming and cousine of Minas Gerais is regarded as one of the best and tastiest in Brazil (trust me).

3) Any mid-sized city in the southern states of Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul: following the same rule as above, you will also find better quality of life when comparing the largest and capital cities. The southern states, differently from the ones cited above, you have a more temperate climate, meaning you can adapt better if you're coming from the northern hemisphere. So you have hot (but not crazy hot) summers and cool to cold (if you're in higher altitutes) winters. Also, because of the greater European immigration in the past to these states, the people there tend to be more closer to what you find in Europe, meaning they can appear more reserved when compared to the 'typical brazilian' (if such thing exists - I myself am not from these region and I'm pretty much reserved too).

Because of my lack of knowledge of the Center, North and North-East region, I cannot speak for those places. I'm pretty sure there are good places there as well. But as general rule, the northern you get, the hotter it gets, more tropical you feel, people get more open and welcoming, but on the other hand the crime rate tends to get worse, you can see more poverty and quality of facilities and institutions can get worse. (A lot of people can see that as prejudice of my part, but sadly it's the true, for historical lack of investment on those areas of the country).

BUT if you still want live in a big / capital city, I can recommend three, not from personal experience, but from experience of friends (in not any particular order):

1) Belo Horizone (Minas Gerais): capital city with cheaper cost of living compared to Sao Paulo and Rio, but still with good job opportunities, facilities, entertainment, easy-going people, good bars, food, culture, etc. It can feel like a smaller city, depending on where you live.

2) Curitiba (Parana): considered one of the best cities to live in Brasil, with good infrastructure, parks, culture, transportation, etc. I personally never been there, but have heard from friends that they loved there, and sometimes is regarded as of the role-model cities in Brasil for the largest cities.

3) Recife (Pernambuco): Going from South to North, Recife is a city in the coastal North-East part of the country regarded for its beuty, beutiful historical architecture (also from its influence from Europe, especially from Holland), sometimes regarded as 'Veneza from Brazil', for its innumerable bridges, boats rides, etc. It has also very good college and have received very good investments in the IT sector in the past years. Criminality can be a problem, but this is a general problem across all the country, so as long you know where to go and do not become an easy target, you can live safe in almost any part of the country. Here you would encounter more the typical 'Brazil' sold abroad: tropical, in the coast line, you have beautiful beaches, open and easy-going people, hot, etc.

I would not recommend neither Sao Paulo (very chaotic) or Rio (very dangerous) - and both very expensive. They are also very big and can be difficult and stressful to get around. Also, I'm not a big-city kindof person, so perhaps this is also biased.

Anyways, these are very personal opinions, but hopefully useful for someone from outisde who has no information on what to expect from Brazil whatsoever.

Cheers!

Well after working (on and off and short trips to Rio office), I ventured out and about. Peacock Bass on the Amazon, SC beaches, SP and finally Foz do Iguacu. The nature and beauty of the Falls and National parks and size help me decide. It is cheaper here and close to Paraguay (crimeville) and Argentina.
Nice places to hike, bike and even fish in Itaipu. or the rivers.
Not much in the way of jobs other than tourist, food and hotels. Couple years ago large boom in condo (now many sit unfinished). City of 300,00. With one main street with all banks do get crowed, but there are bank branches around.
Great to be able to cross into Argentina and the sleepy town of Puerto Iguazu. Yes every now and then Paraguay, but not many. Many workers come from PY and some things as lumber you can only get in PY, (As said mostly surrounded by National Parks.)
Wildlife is everywhere, You can hear the jaguars at night is near the rainforest,
Does have an international Airport (1 flight to Lima) and many flights to other cities in BR.

Wow that's like a list of the most boring places on earth lol......Interior de São Paulo, I know I lived around there over two years.

I have been to three places in the south:  Porto Alegre, Garibaldi and Santana do Livramento.  I like the people from the south.
I lived in Campinas, SP and I believe it was where I enjoyed the most.  It was close to São Paulo but I didn't really have to put up with any traffic as I usually took the a road outside the city to go to work.  I had a nice home near Unicamp and enjoyed plenty of weekend barbecues with friends.
My wife and I are not night life individuals.  We like to be near enough commercial places to get our shopping done and mostly look for quiet home resting.
I lived at Riviera de São Lourenço for one year and found off-season OK, but during summer it was unbearable, besides all our metal stuff rusting.  We then moved to Serra Negra but... no.
Sincerely I cannot think of any place in Brazil where I would like to live.
Safety of any kind here is a joke, where there is some convenience, traffic is a nightmare, one can`t ever find what one wants to buy in the markets.  You have to buy what you can find.
I have gotten used to the US.  There I do not like to live in big cities either, but close enough to  go find something if necessary.
My favorite place to live is the California Desert, in the Palm Springs area (not in Palm Springs) like Rancho Mirage or North La Quinta, or maybe even Palm Desert, but my wife hates the summer temperatures so we agreed that, when I return to the US we will live in San Diego. 
Sorry if I kind of got away from the topic of "Best Cities to Live in Brazil".

This thread is so totally southcentric that I'll throw in my two cents for the Northeast:  I've always loved it, and always will. 
I'd enjoy living in any of the capitals "around the Bulge", from Salvador to Fortaleza -- except maybe Recife (too flat, too humid), although Olinda would be possible.  I like the heat, and I like the culture:  Brazil straight up, fewer outside influences, even from the "Sul Maravilha", than anywhere else I know.
I don't doubt all the things people like about the south, but it has one thing that I won't live with:  frost!  Had more than enough of that in my pre-Brazil life, so anywhere south of São Paulo, I'll be glad to check out during the Summer --and flee back to the sunshine as soon as there's a nip in the air.  :cool:

Yeah, I lived in Salvador as a child and, as a child, I enjoyed immensely.
We lived just a short block from the beach, at Barra, near the light.
But I don't think I would live there now.

Ron,
What a great place to be a child! 
It's been a long time since I've been there.  I'd have to spend some time there first to see how much I like the 21st Century version, but I'd give it a shot.

Of all my travels in Brazil - from Roraima to Rio Grande do Sul; from Acre to Pernambuco, the four cities I mentioned above strikes me the most.

But that doesn´t mean I´d love to live and even spend my last moments there. It´s some of my best experiences in Brazil, so to speak and amenities and comfort is easier to find in this chaotic and hurried Brazilian life. There´s emptiness that strikes me every now and then when I realize that I´ve been in Brazil for so long and yet as if I really don´t belong here. I´m used to the culture, I speak Portuguese like a native Brazilian but there´s something missing that I can´t explain.

I even thought of naturalizing after 26 years of my RNE so that maybe I´ll also feel the sense of belonging. A simple and quiet life I like most but travel has always been my passion. Maybe I should naturalize before I start my long travels so as not to lose my residency.

In the end, Brazil will still be here waiting when I decide to come back. Europe looks mighty fine for me...

robal

"but there´s something missing that I can´t explain."
Tolkien wrote, "The tree grows best in the land of its first planting".  That's not a bug in the human condition, it's a feature.   :idontagree:
Sometimes in our travels, we find home.  Sometimes we look back to home.  Sometimes, it's still out there, waiting and beckoning.   So glad you're still enjoying the journey.

Hi Robal,
I have travelled a lot as well, but work hasn't given much time to really get to know the places where I have been.  Nonetheless, there were a couple of towns that I liked in places other than the US:
Brisbane, Australia - The most first world place I have ever been to.  Very clean, sidewalks absolutely perfect, no cracks, no trash.  Every corner had a stainless steel trash bin that had attached an ashtray, so one wouldn't find even cigarette butts on the ground,  Buses always on time, as per bus schedules at bus stops.  Traffic well organized and lots of people in the streets.
The only problem was the costs:  Breakfast at the hotel was 30 Dollars each day.  A one mile bus ride was 3.5 Dollars one way. A pack of cigarettes cost 25 Dollars (yes, I smoke) and, of course, they drive on the wrong side of the street.  The minimum wage was, at the time, 50 K/year, but obviously needed.
Valencia, Spain - Smaller and much better than Madrid, people somewhat nicer and, when they say they are your friends they mean it for life.  All modern conveniences available, good roads and commerce.Right next to the big city (7 minutes out) there is a seaside town calles Puebla de Farnals, where I could live and be at ease.  It would be my choice if I were to live in Europe.
My only problem there was lunch/dinner times and every single commercial place (EVERYTHING) closed on Sundays.
Paris, Milan, Rome, sure, all fine, but I would not live in any of those places.

I too understand missing home, but as mentioned having worked in Brazil and having time to explore  was looking forward. I knew retirement was coming. I first bought a condo in Curitiba and enjoyed many good time, but the weather did not suite me. I had to think was Curitiba a place to retire?  I then traveled more and visited Foz do Iguacu. It was pleasant and me a few people, one was a guide and a real estate agent. In out conversations and touring all Foz, Puerto Iguazu, Argentina and even Paraguay we began talking rela estate.
It is affordable and just happen to see a house with a pool, green area adjacent, 3 bed rooms. When speaking of price I was amazed.
I decided maybe here would work. I can live here with most things I need and live below my means. Having one of the 7 Worlds Heritage sites as the falls here I "pulled the trigger"!
I still can go to Curitiba and enjoy a bigger city, but so much traffic and hustle. The simple life suited me more here and always can drive to Argentina to fly to BA or even direct flight to Lima. Additionally no bad connections back to the US to get my food fix.

I take it you are originally from Texas, right?

Yep! Miss it, but do not miss traffic and other things.

Well by May, I´m back to the States for 1 month. I´m seriously thinking of the naturalization "extraordinaria" upon coming back. No Portuguese exam for those who have been here for at least 15 years.

Got to start planning for more travels. I´ve been to Valencia also Ron. Very nice, lots of retired British.

I´ve been thinking of going back again to Madeira and Porto in Portugal. I should include
Sardinia, Greece and Malta. I love snow so I might also include Scandinavia.

Skal!

abthree wrote:

"but there´s something missing that I can´t explain."
Tolkien wrote, "The tree grows best in the land of its first planting".  That's not a bug in the human condition, it's a feature.   :idontagree:
Sometimes in our travels, we find home.  Sometimes we look back to home.  Sometimes, it's still out there, waiting and beckoning.   So glad you're still enjoying the journey.

Yes, I´m still enjoying the ride! I try to do different activities everyday so as to add more fun. I still also travel inside Brazil especially during holidays. I eat out a lot just to have fun watching people as they
hurry up eating in between errands. It´s really nice to have all the time in the world!

What´s no fun is tax preparation which I have to do later! Maybe I´ll drag my feet for now just to mull it over...

Tex,

How long did you stay in Curitiba? I lived for about 2 years in Agua Verde years back.

Still have the Apt. in Curitiba Go at least twice a year. Leased it for 6 months and big mistake. So no hotel when we head that way. Just wish the road was better.
Also head to US in May. Will do quit trip to Fla., drive to NOLA and Houston. Then fly Vegas.
Wish LATAM would do the non-stop to Vegas again this year, but no news on such. Sure cuts connecting flight out and save 4 to 6 hours.

Ron Pinto wrote:

Hi Robal,
I have travelled a lot as well, but work hasn't given much time to really get to know the places where I have been.  Nonetheless, there were a couple of towns that I liked in places other than the US:
Brisbane, Australia - The most first world place I have ever been to.  Very clean, sidewalks absolutely perfect, no cracks, no trash.  Every corner had a stainless steel trash bin that had attached an ashtray, so one wouldn't find even cigarette butts on the ground,  Buses always on time, as per bus schedules at bus stops.  Traffic well organized and lots of people in the streets.
The only problem was the costs:  Breakfast at the hotel was 30 Dollars each day.  A one mile bus ride was 3.5 Dollars one way. A pack of cigarettes cost 25 Dollars (yes, I smoke) and, of course, they drive on the wrong side of the street.  The minimum wage was, at the time, 50 K/year, but obviously needed.
Valencia, Spain - Smaller and much better than Madrid, people somewhat nicer and, when they say they are your friends they mean it for life.  All modern conveniences available, good roads and commerce.Right next to the big city (7 minutes out) there is a seaside town calles Puebla de Farnals, where I could live and be at ease.  It would be my choice if I were to live in Europe.
My only problem there was lunch/dinner times and every single commercial place (EVERYTHING) closed on Sundays.
Paris, Milan, Rome, sure, all fine, but I would not live in any of those places.

Did you have a chance to go to Melbourne? It´s consistently voted as the most livable city. But costs are higher of course. It´s Australia mate!

Texanbrazil wrote:

Still have the Apt. in Curitiba Go at least twice a year. Leased it for 6 months and big mistake. So no hotel when we head that way. Just wish the road was better.
Also head to US in May. Will do quit trip to Fla., drive to NOLA and Houston. Then fly Vegas.
Wish LATAM would do the non-stop to Vegas again this year, but no news on such. Sure cuts connecting flight out and save 4 to 6 hours.

Parana is full of toll gates nowadays. When I was driving my car from Curitiba to Foz I always used BR277 if my memory doesn´t fail me. During the 90´s that highway was full of holes and big rocks,
that caused a lot of accidents.

There was a trip where I had 2 flat tires - one at a time because of them big holes. My tire rims were dented and how I survived the accident was really a miracle.

I lived a few months at Santa Helena and also Marechal Cândido Rondon close to Foz. At the time Céu Azul was not yet very developed.

robal

I lived in Houston for one year, in 1990/1991 and then again from 1999 to 2005, this time in Kingwood.  I don't know how familiar you are with Houston, but it would take something really major to make me go past FM 1960 towards south, on Hwy 59.
I would go past it a little just to go to the airport (Bush International), which was 18 minutes from my front door to terminal C, one of the reasons I chose Kingwood, besides being a safe area and very residential.  The schools were pretty good as well.
My second daughter is the only child not born in California.  She is a Texan, Houstonian.
The only two things I disliked in Houston:  The absolute lack of mountainous terrain and the heat/humidity combination. Liked everything else.

No Robal, no Melbourne.  I have some friends in Sidney but didn't go there either.
Upon return the plane made a schedule in Cairns and I got to see the Coral Reef.  Beautiful.
The only thing is that, while there I had this feeling of being on another planet, because it is so far from everything I know.
Once when I was flying to Canada from Cumbica, while smoking before the flight I started chatting with another smoker, a Brazilian whom I found out was going to Australia (he lived there).
I told him that my impression of Australia was that it was similar to Brazil, particularly the people.  He said something that stuck in my mind:  "Australia is a Brazil that ended up right".

My only experience with Texas was at San Antonio. I lived for 3 years there close to Fort Sam Houston.

At least he was right....