Our Occupation Permit experience

Hi everyone,

This forum, and the people on it, were so helpful when we were planning our move to Mauritius and when we first got here so I thought I'd give back and share our Occupation Permit experience with you.

Our situation is:

* Self-employed occupation permit for my husband in a non-regulated industry
* He is French, I am British, our two daughters have both nationalities
* We were coming from London and our paperwork was all either in French or in English

My husband applied online for the self-employed occupation permit on the 20th November, he then went in and finalised the application (with payment) on the 26th November. He could have done it the same day but we didn't know that at the time.

He got a verbal green light on the 18th December. We were able to apply for our dependent permit on the 29th December, despite still not having the actual OP for my husband (our visa ran out on the 31st December and the BOI informed us that this was all fine).

Our papers were all ready for us to collect on the 11th January.

Some things to note:

* You need to come into Mauritius on a business visa if you are requesting the occupation permit for you (I know people who didn't know this and had to have a day trip to Reunion to rectify it!)
* The BOI will almost never call you so it's up to you to call them all the time to find out where you're at with your application
* Being smiley, friendly and polite will go a long way
* Bring copies of everything when you go to the BOI and check everything you'll need before you go
* There are agencies who can do all of this for you if you don't feel up to doing it yourself - we did it all ourselves but we researched it all online beforehand (we are also both bilingual). Bear in mind that at the BOI they are more comfortable in French but all paperwork is done in English.

Our case didn't go via the Prime Minister's Office though I hear many cases do these days.
We didn't need anything to prove we don't have a criminal record.

I think the time to get your OP varies enormously depending on the situation, the industry and the threat you pose to Mauritian businesses / jobs. My husband works internationally online so he poses no threat to Mauritian businesses or jobs and that may be why he got his OP relatively quickly.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now, feel free to ask any questions if I can help at all.

One last thing - it's all so worth it as we LOVE it here :-)
Sophie

Hi Sophie, thank you for your post - Im encouraged by your positive experience. I have just returned from MRU this weekend… I couldn't submit my application as I had entered MRU with a tourist visa and not a business one. I now need to return to MRU to submit my application. I wondered if you and your husband had any insights on my situation. I currently work for a South African company and my work is internet based. I do data analysis and report writing so I can work remotely. My currently employers are happy to have me work from anywhere in the world. I'd like to know if you think that my circumstances will be considered favourably when applying under the self employed category? My salary is well in excess of the prescribed minimum. Thanks in advance and enjoy the Island. Tracy

Internet based, international market jobs do not have much trouble in getting an OP (self employed).
You will need to show original diplomas and qualifications though. And also letters of intents from your client (in your case your employer) which proves your ability to earn Rs600,000 a year.

If you have the above, you're fine.

Criminal records or character certificates are only required for Retired permits anyway. You won't be requested to provide  for such document.

Thanks stax Nadeem, I appreciate your guidance. My employee for the past 10 years is happy to give me a letter indicating that I am employed by them and I also have a contract of employment and my pay record slips indicate my salary which I can show. Would that help? Also, the work that I do is very specific to the SA context and my company doesn't do work in MRU so I will not be infringing on job opportunities of Mauritians. Is there anything else that I need to improve my prospects of a successful application?

I have also been told that I will need to register a company once I have the visa. Is this correct? Thanks again, Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I'm afraid I'm not sure as I can only go on my own experience, but Nadeem will be able to help you much more.

Good luck with it all - it's so worth it :-)

Sophie

Hi,
I have one question if you dont mind,
Shall I apply for this visa from Mauritius or from outside? And should I need job offer from an Mauritian company or no need??