Costa Rica on a $100 per day or less budget.

I would welcome advice on communities to rent an apartment with AC. I have research some options on the most popular websites. I am asking to hear personal recommendation and experiences of communities hospitable to my budget and are safe in the daytime.

The areas are Santa Ana, San Jose, South of Limon and other comparable area. Of course pm if there is a specific apartment you have in mind. I would like access to a frequent and multiple bus route, middle or upper economic class neighbourhood of local people, quite every day of the week and during the night. Some housing are great during the week, then turn loud during party night at the disco or bar.

My stay is for 4 to 6 days.

$30 to $60 per day for a full apartment, not a shared space. Totally enclosed from the outside.

$20 per day for food, two meals. $20 per day to travel in the city and intercity.

Thank you greatly in advance.

Apartments are generally rented by the month...not just for a few days, especially when not in a tourist area.

In an 'upper class area' an apartment it would be much more $60 .... and as for $30, no way... :lol:

Best to get a hotel room for such a short period...and even then you will pay more than you budget specifies.

$20... including taxes of 13%... for 2 meals, may not get you some good meals in a nice restaurant but will be enough to eat at  a 'soda' or a fast food outlet.

I disagree with the above YES ot ispossible email me for advice and hlpe K must live in Gringo Gulches..:) BUT the areas YOU mention  such as San Jose and Caribbean Coast are VERY dangerous so be careful.  The other Santa Ana is a "Gringo Gulch " so YES they charge more for EVERYTHING
(I HAVE lived there and you do not get the real feel of Costa Rica. ) .unless you want to feel that you are in an overpriced part of Los Angeles:( 
Here  in Heredia and its Hills of Beauty,  as I have mentioned MANY times you can have a delicious meal with juice for $4 or in  upscale restaurant FANTASTIC real thick Steak for $18 or less..with  additional extras at no charge,,, ...IN the Gulches costs double IF you find a tender piece of meat...
So emai; ***
You CAN enjjoy at that price but avoid the danger spots...and he Gulches:)

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

If you're looking to travel cheap, I'd look elsewhere.  Costa Rica is not cheap unless you don't mind a rural Tico village, and then your amenities might be very limited and English would be very limited.  I would check out AirBnb or VRBO.

If you want a really cheap vacation, look at Nicaragua.

true you get what you pay for and anyone who KNOWS Nica can never compare it to CR., Its like comparing a Cheap 2nd hand car to a newer cleaner  better bmodel yes?

I am spending time in Nicaragua also during this trip. I speak enough Spanish to survive and travel. If no one speaks any English, Eso No es un problema.

I have viewed those websites for places to stay. I would not solely decided which community to stay, without opinions from others. They are trying to make money renting their places.

This is the reason i posted the question on this forum.

Most foreigners do favour residing in gringoland separate from the local population. I do not have an opinion to offer on that choice. It is a personal preference. All advice is appreciated.

My priority is, " I would like access to a frequent and multiple bus route, middle or upper economic class neighbourhood of local people, quite every day of the week and during the night. "

Thanks in advance

Again I say do yourself a favor and check out the HEREDIA Hills areas and find all that you mentioned//Good Luck

For Sure they expect to make a living if renting I don't know anyone who rents for free?? Our advice is free but ...if we get time or encouragement...Good Luck Seems like Nicaragua is better for you.