Teaching English

Good morning all,

I currently work in the oil and gas industry and because of the downturn in the oil price theres not much work around.

I was wondering if anyone has done the TESOL course through the Australasian Training Academy? I was put on to this site by a friend. Just wondering if anyone had done the course through them and what your experience was like in finding work after?

Cheers all,

Liam

I have not done that particular TESOL course but I did receive a TESOL certificate prior to arriving in Vietnam.  By putting my CV out there it was almost immediately picked up by a few English centers.  The centers also look at what degree you earned from University.  Being I was math I found a solid position at an international school after a few months of searching.  If you have a degree in some sort of STEM field, I would recommend obtaining a teaching certification wherever and apply for positions at international schools.  Being that you work in the oil and gas industry, I assume you have some sort of engineering background perhaps.

(Please?)    ..try to remember TESOL courses are great money spinners - for the sales staff.   

Don't even bother.   All you (really!) need do is turn up...   ..and introduce yourself.

Any age-range of pupil will teach you too.   Use vivid, simple examples and a cryptic humour that does dot denigrate (anyone)    The rest is written in history.

Too obvious?    Then look at the internet.   It has neat diagrams like a face, car, house (etc)  and you stand there in authoritative pose  (ego required)  pointing at features and use a clear voice without accent.   Choosing dignity will stop anyone from looking foolish.    Even Us.

More?   Sure.   No vocabulary to begin.  Use names, connectors and desires.  Where to go, what to do, how and why will not only keep everyone busy thinking, but give YOU the time to plan ahead...   Diversional name-games keeps everyone interested.    It's all about memory retention, not 'teaching'.    You are showing them how to read the road map - of Life.

Finally(?)  Don't overdo (anything)  Less is (much) more here.   Use (any) diversity to help maintain INTEREST LEVELS.    What we all tend to forget.   The ONLY important thing.

Don't(?) dress like a clown.  Change is the only true certainty, so modify yourself as an insignificant geek - and they will love you for being true to yourself.    (Smirk)

..or..?     Ignore everything I wrote.   Just jump in.   Whatever, you won't regret it.

unfortunately  have no degree.........thats the downside

Thanks for that mate. Good tips. I appreciate it

Tsk!    Wake up to the real world.    Life experience & self-confidence are all that is required.

( I was joking about the ego - but it works for the pollies... )    Not even trying is a cop - out.

Yeah iv decided this is the year to take a risk...............do something different

Hi Lbirt23,
I'm attending to learn Tesol course too, the institution is "Australian Training Academy" http://atatesolvietnam.vn/tesol-courses/ . Meanwhile I plan to open classes of teaching English and I need foreign voice. If you're interested in, just don't worry about the cer, your accent and voice must be helpfull and worth to be paid for. I've been living in HCM city, dist 6, the classes can be in suburb. I will pay 15USD per hour at the start, pay increases as number of learner increases. You can make leisure income while seeking new job. Contact me via: *** if you find happy with this.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

hey mate,

Thank you for the offer. When would you look at starting this? You can contact me on ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi!

Im interested with your offer. I am also a teacher and a native english speaker. However, i am still in Philippines but ill be arriving in HCM this April.  :) do you have any recommenadations about school or groups who need tutor in English. Also, i have masteral units of Early Childhood Education which means i can teach ages 3-5 years old.