New members of the Cambodia forum, introduce yourself here – 2016

Hey guys I will be finishing up school on Dec. 9th and myself and my fiancé are planning on moving to Phnom Penh. She is wheelchair bound and I was wondering if any of you had any insight on living in Phnom Penh with a disability. Thank you and I'm happy to be here!

HI, Shakira! I am also a teacher and am moving to Siem Reap in early October.  I hope our paths will cross!

Well, it's not a fun city for pedestrians and even less so for wheelchairs.  Sidewalks are generally blocked to free access, and there are few smooth level frontages, through most businesses have no step at the front door. Few buildings have lifts, though the building boom of the last 8 years is bringing modern condos and malls.

On the plus side there are plenty of people around to help, appreciating a small tip (even 12 cents). People are generally helpful and can spare a moment.

Tuk tuks would manage a chair though the access may be slightly undignified.

Thanks Tom, good to see I won't be alone!

Hi everyone, I'm Chris. I plan to come out to Phnom Penh in November for at least 6 months. I'm a self employed consultant in learning and development and project management and I've many years experience in railway operations and training.
Any advice on apartment hunting or part time work will be gratefully received.

Moderated by kenjee 2 weeks ago
Reason : Promotion of own services on forum not allowed. You can register your services freely in the business directory.

Phnom Penh.

StephenK :

Hey guys I will be finishing up school on Dec. 9th and myself and my fiancé are planning on moving to Phnom Penh. She is wheelchair bound and I was wondering if any of you had any insight on living in Phnom Penh with a disability. Thank you and I'm happy to be here!

Phnom Penh would be terrible for wheelchair access, much better would be Siem Reap or Sihanoukville.

Hi!  Let me know how it goes as I am interested in moving to this same region with similar ambitions. :)

Hi, All!!!  My name is Jennifer and am curious how graphic designers  or jewelry designers do in Siem Reap.  Even if it's me teaching others the trade. I have been designing my entire life.  I love the outdoors and sometimes wish I wasn't locked up in this cage all day. ;) Also another interest of mine would be to open an adventure tourist kinda place doing ATVs or something similar to that.  I also love food... so I am not opposed to opening a restaurant as well. What are some thoughts on this... last how hard is it to homeschool or what schools are good for the little ones as the family might be expanding when I arrive. :) Happy travels all!

What immunizations do people get when they travel to Cambodia as this is my biggest concern as well as with the pets. Dogs and cats.

Hi Jeniffer, Everything you mention is already being done here and every other shop is a restaurant in Siem Reap. The commercial property rents are very high but the apartments are quite reasonable.
Its very hard for expats to make a living through self-employment but it is possible, I've managed for almost 17 years but I have the support of my amazing Cambodian wife. I do know a jewellery designer here and she makes it work by also doing work shops for a few hours for tourists & locals and they get to make a piece of jewellery to keep. Best of luck with your endeavors.

hi everyone

im shin. im a taiwanese . i just moved to phnom penh a week ago. now im working for an property management company in diamond island.wanna make some friends here.
you can contact me.

Moderated by kenjee 2 days ago
Reason : We encourage sharing of contact infos through private message system ( Click on avatar of member to access profile, from there click on the 'Send message' button on top banner profile)

Hello, I am Stephen or Stephane in French (also German), I am a teacher of French working online at the moment but hoping to get a post in Cambodia, Siem Reap is my wish. Will be moving to Cambodia in December departure Dec 13th, I'm very excited about my new life, I am into  spiritual growth, meditations, spiritual learning/teaching, i want to get a home with a swimming pool and have fun with new friends at the swimming pool, on a motorbike, in a bar, a restaurant... hope to meet you there and share wonderful times of joy, happiness and peace with you !
I will be looking for someone to share a flat with for a total of $600 or $300 each in order to have space and a better place but also company, male or female, any nationality is great for me.. non-smoker, friendly, maybe a new best friend hehe ! Otherwise never mind, it will happen eventually in the future;

All the best to you all !

Thanks for the insight.  My husband is Cambodian too so we would more than likely purchase a home rather than rent.  Maybe rent just to get to know the area. It's good to know that everything is already being done as that shows the growth happening all around.  I hope whatever it is I get into that I can help the local community while I do it. :)  Cheer!

Questions and answers about Cambodia

Ask your question
imperfect US currency exchange.
By guidedbyvoices
Rent a car
By Dragosalex
How to get reaction - looking for a job
By Hannes3
Kabe Adrift
"Best" TEFL School
By Kabe Adrift

Expatriate health insurance in Cambodia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Cambodia

Moving to Cambodia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Cambodia

Travel insurance in Cambodia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Cambodia

Flights to Cambodia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Cambodia