Looking to move to cambodia

im looking to start over from scratch and move to cambodia. i have a special k visa and i have family in cambodia. i would like to know what documents i would need to fill out and/or bring with me to make my move. also what are the limitations in terms of bringing money with you? actually, any information on what i need to do to make this move would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Hi schhorn,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

It's pretty simple.  You can enter with a tourist visa good for one month.  During that time you get an extended one year business visa.  I don't think you need a job, just pay +-$270 and any travel agent can process it for you. You then have multiple entry to come and go--simple as that.  You can renew once a year.  I believe you can bring up to $10k in currency.  Not sure why you would want more than that b/c there are ATMs everywhere.  Unless you are Mitt Romney and trying to escape U.S. taxes.

what about my special k visa? would that replace the need for a tourist or business visa? thx for your help

also, how do taxes work?

This is what I found in a 30 second web search on "special K" visas. 

Cambodia  Special “K” Visas

The Cambodia Special “K” visa is for people with foreign passports who were born in Cambodia. To be eligible for the Special “K” visa, you must have at least one parent who is a Cambodian national. When entering Cambodia you must be travelling with your Cambodian parent to obtain the Special “K” visa. You and your parent must also have your Cambodian birth certificates with you. The Special “K” visa is issued free and the visa is indefinite.

If this doesn't apply to you then you probably will need to do a different kind of visa.  Income is taxed at an automatic 10 percent of income.  You don't have to pay any U.S. taxes on foreign income as long as you stay more than 330 days outside the country. However, my understanding is you will owe Social Security tax on foreign income.  Probably only true if you are a U.S. citizen.  Beyond that, you should talk to a tax adviser.  Good luck!

thx for the help! any more is also welcomed