Vaccinations

Hi
I'm a new member and I am just wanting to know peoples' thoughts on vaccinations. My husband and I are looking at coming to Cambodia both for sightseeing and work and wondered about the vaccinations needed. Our doctor has told us Hep A & B but also Cholera and Rabies. Not meaning to sound stinghy but the Rabies shots in particular are a bit expensive and wondered if really needed there. We arrive in January. Also what exactly is an Ordinary visa and should we look at getting that instead of a tourist visa given our plans?

Thanking you in advance for any reponses,
Martine

16 plus million people  living here have never had any of  those shots. After forgetting what your Dr has told you, [ and he has never been here ] what makes you think you need them.

first, I'm sorry for my bad English. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

you don't have to take any vaccinations to stay here.
even though there are lots of street dogs in siem reap, I have never seen or heard about rabies here.

And visa.
how long are you going to stay in Cambodia?
Travel visa is maximum 1month and can be extend 1 time (another 1 month).
if you want to stay here more than 2 months, you should take ordinary visa.

Yes, rabies shots are expensive. And yes, there are a lot of stray dogs in Cambodia, as well as bats, that are a lot more likely to carry rabies. Rabies is endemic here. Please don't claim it's not. If you want to convince yourself of it, do it in private, but don't state incorrect facts publicly when people's health and lives depend on it.

Rabies vaccine for post exposure treatment is often not available in Camboida, so in case of an incident, you will need medevac to Thailand. Speaking of expensive, THAT would be it.

Do be careful when asking strangers on the internet to evaluate the advice of a medical professional...

As others have pointed out, the risks are tolerably small if you're reasonably careful and stick to the cities. Most expats don't worry much about their recommended vaccinations and very few locals get them - and mostly that works out fine. Life expectancy is relatively low in Cambodia, but there are a lot of factors behind that.

Ultimately it's your risk to take. If you're coming from a country with decent healthcare, where vaccines are free or subsidised then it seems like a "might as well" situation. It certainly wouldn't harm you.

I personally never bothered with the rabies vaccine nor anti-malarials. I did get the routine jabs when I first went out (when I thought I would only stay a couple of months), because why not? Typhoid and tetanus seem the most useful ones. I've never heard of cholera being recommended and wouldn't bother personally. Rabies IS an issue in Cambodia, but as long as you're cautious (give dogs a wide berth and for goodness' sake don't play with monkeys) and don't go more than 24 hours' travel from a decent clinic then the vaccine won't benefit you much - again, your risk to take but if you do pick up something communicable then it becomes a problem for others. "Better safe" as they say.

I only got my Hepatitis shots. Getting any other shots is rather pointless and a waste of money. The rabies shot especially...I was advised by my doctor to not even bother with it because 9 times out of 10 if I get bite by a stray dog or animal and require medical attention the clinic or doctor is just going to give me a the full dosage of Rabies shot anyways because they can't be sure that you've had your Rabies shot back here...Even if you get the rabies shot and get bit by an infected dog, you still need to get more shots.

Even the fact to know several people who have had dog bites is worrying. In Europe, I can't remember a single incident of anyone I know having a dog bite, and I've lived there much longer...

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/18302/ … -of-reach/

"Cambodia has the highest rate of rabies deaths per capita in the world, with an estimated 850 people killed every year by the virus...."

Current article, this month. The information is not outdated.

But as it was said before, everyone must manage their own risk.

As for the tourist visa, of course it's possible to extend it for another month at countless travel agencies across the country.