Travel over Polar Circle in Sweden

I have the intention to travel in Northern Sweden in summer: Kiruna or Abisko. First idea is to drive from southern Sweden. Does anyone having a similar experience and can share? I need answes to: 1. Is it better to drive and find hotels on the road( availability and cost) 2 rent a caravan-car/husbil( are they avaialble with 1 month notification?) 3 how long it may take realisting without being too tough (1-2 weeks) 4 what are the main cities and points you recommend to visit during the trip ( to miss big cities like Gotheborg that will be planned in citybreak weekends). Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Sorry to answer so late but I'll try to give you some tips.
North of Sweden is a quite empty country with lot of nature but no people. It is a place I recommend everyone to discover sometime. The clean air and the silence up here amases you.
I worked in Northern Sweden about 15 years ago and brought my bike with me. I show you some pictures from the landscape on http://www.citygbg.nu/travel/bike/bicyk … /index.php
I suggest looking for hostels up here in summer. I beleive that is an affordable way to find accommodation in summer. I think hotels are quite affordable too if you go outside the bigger villages like Luleå, Kiruna and Umeå.
Another thing to be aware of. In late summer you'll get a lot of mosquitos here so if you are visiting this place after midsummer I suggest you buy some insect repellent. I wish you a nice trip.