Step down transformer

Anyone know where I can purchase a step down transformer? Needed to run an Xbox One and external hard drive

I haven't checked, but I'll bet you bought the thing in the USA.
I say that because that country is seriously backwards as far as tech goes, and is about the only place where equipment comes 110v only.

Just buy a new power supply in any reputable local shop and you'll be able to use it anywhere in the world, even the states.

I know whwre you can get the xfirmer you need. However, I must ask my wife. PM me and I will get that info for you. I think it is the best on the market in VN. I got onto it because I kept see every commercial business use this particular brand.

I am asking about information about a step down transformer, not your opinion about "tech in the USA". Keep your opinions to yourself.

and I suggested a new PSU was a better idea.

Highside25,
  I know nothing of the requirements as far as hertz for the two items you need the xformer for. But the xformer does not compensate for the cycle difference 50hz verses 60 hertz. Fir example a click will run slower. I don't think it has any affect on digital circuits though. I think you will find the unit I gave you the info on will do the trick.

Just buy an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which has 2 mode- 110-220V as suggested by Fred. You can buy UPS from any computer hardware shop. If you are near Q.1, Nguyen Kim has some kind of voltage stabilizers which provides various volts adjustment. Also  You can find many other computer shop on the Bui Thi Xuan street, Q.1, if you need a UPS.

I saw haloshop.vn have an original xbox one external psu for 1.6m. They have a website and a shop in Q1. Alternatively a voltage regulator with a 110v outlet as was suggested. I have a lioa stabiliser that has 220, 100, and 110 volt outlets. It cost about 1.5m and they sell them at many of the lighting and electrical shops.

charmavietnam wrote:

Just buy an UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) which has 2 mode- 110-220V as suggested by Fred. You can buy UPS from any computer hardware shop. If you are near Q.1, Nguyen Kim has some kind of voltage stabilizers which provides various volts adjustment. Also  You can find many other computer shop on the Bui Thi Xuan street, Q.1, if you need a UPS.

I heartily endorse this idea even if your equipment is dual voltage.  My iMac from the US used to give me fits and fail to boot up properly about 50% of the time.  I took it down to Q1 by taxi maybe three times where it was declared just fine.  I finally hit on the idea of using a UPS not only for blackouts but to even out the cycles and small voltage fluctuations.  I had no problems after that.  My UPS was 220V only but if you have one with 110V output, so much the better.

For future reference...

You can purchase step down transformers at a shop at 124 Yersin Street in Ho Chi Minh City. This is near the Dan Sinh Market, which is a handyman's toy shop!

Most electronic systems efficiently convert AC to DC using full-wave rectifiers (as in the case of gaming systems) so the frequency difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz is a non-issue.

Uminchu wrote:

For future reference...

You can purchase step down transformers at a shop at 124 Yersin Street in Ho Chi Minh City. This is near the Dan Sinh Market, which is a handyman's toy shop!

Most electronic systems efficiently convert AC to DC using full-wave rectifiers (as in the case of gaming systems) so the frequency difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz is a non-issue.

Very true. The only time that I had an issue with 50hz/60hz was with some specific medical equipment for my wife that we brought with us from America. For that we got a car battery, a battery charger and a car battery to 110v 60 hz electricity transformer. That works pretty good.

Note, 220 volt is a bit less expensive as it can use smaller wires for the same volt/amps. 110 volt is less likely to kill you as the voltage is less for the same volt/amps.

In any case, grounded(earthed) wiring can save a huge number of lives and is relatively rare in Viet Nam. Grounded extension cords are very hard to find

I agree on one point but I question the other: 

70 years old wrote:

In any case, grounded(earthed) wiring can save a huge number of lives and is relatively rare in Viet Nam. Grounded extension cords are very hard to find

This is absolutely true.  My iMac has so much stray voltage that I couldn't even touch it.  I had to clamp a wire to the frame and run it through the living room to a grounded point to take the voltage away.  (You won't experience this with laptops because the power supply is an AC/DC transformer which isolates the computer from the AC source.)  Washing machines are another big one.  Be sure you have a wire from the frame to a clamp on the water pipe (of course not plastic pipe.)

70 years old wrote:

Note, 220 volt is a bit less expensive as it can use smaller wires for the same volt/amps. 110 volt is less likely to kill you as the voltage is less for the same volt/amps.

Not an expert but I'm not sure about this one.  Do you know the adage "Volts hurt, amps kill?"  Livestock fencing works because it delivers thousands of volts and milliamps.  220V delivers half the amps of a 110V system.  Also 220V may be "a bit less expensive" for one house but think how much savings there are on a national basis; or even all of Asia, Europe and Africa.  That's a lot of copper.

Disregarding the electrical resistance in dry human skin, their would be no differance. But, as the voltage increases the electrical resistance of human skin is overcome.

"A dry and clean human hand has skin resistance vary from 50k ohms up to 200k ohms. A higher voltage (230v) is more easily to overcome this skin resistance to pass through the current beyond the safety limit compare to lower voltage (110v). THE HIGHER THE VOLTAGE,THE MORE THE DANGER TO TOUCH!!!!"

I wish that I had my National electrical code book with me. I could give better documented answers. But, the book is in another house.

One of the reasons I suggest the transforms available in building supply shops is the fact they are isolation transformers as well as step down transformers.
They will handle heavy loads and add a level of safety to the system.

Bonus - They're built to withstand all weather conditions, so they can be used in kitchens as well.

220v or 110v the most important safety feature that can be added is grounding(earthing)   that has been part of the code in most American jurisdictions for roughly 50 years. To the best of my knowledge it is only in the last decade or two that Europeans and Asians have stopped the murderous policy of ungrounded circuitry.

In the house that I bought, the first thing that I did was rip out every bit of wiring in the house and rewire it myself. That included installing a house grounding rod. Anything less wasn't code im most US jurisdictions for 50 years.

Note, most large bookstores in Viet Nam do sell English language Electrical Code Books.

Isolation transformers mean there is no potential to earth after the transformer, the upshot being you can grab live wires and feel no more than a tingle.
Been there, done that, lived to tell the tale without so much as a minor burn.

Fred wrote:

Isolation transformers mean there is no potential to earth after the transformer, the upshot being you can grab live wires and feel no more than a tingle.

Right, grab one of those terminals with wet bare feet on a tile floor. In reality, unless the shoes had rubber soles, it would be a bad idea.

70 years old wrote:
Fred wrote:

Right, grab one of those terminals with wet bare feet on a tile floor.

No problem as the isolation transformer means there is no potential to earth.
You could make sure it's nice salt water with metal rods into the ground and it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

I last did it accidentally whilst repairing a TV - hand touching live but nothing felt past a tingle.
That's why isolation transformers used in repair shops; it's almost impossible to get a shock.

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu … from-shock

Last(and only) time that I took the electricians test was in the late 1970's. It has been a long time and I don't remember studying anything about isolation transformers.

Note, I didn't pass. But, I came close.

"Not an expert but I'm not sure about this one.  Do you know the adage "Volts hurt, amps kill?"  Livestock fencing works because it delivers thousands of volts and milliamps.  220V delivers half the amps of a 110V system.  Also 220V may be "a bit less expensive" for one house but think how much savings there are on a national basis; or even all of Asia, Europe and Africa.  That's a lot of copper."

It is true that thousands of volts are safe and won't kill you if their is no current flow. It requires both current and amps to kill.

As we were essentially discussing residential electrical circuits, most residential circuits  are between 10 amp and 20 amp. for either 110v or 220v 10 amps is plenty to kill someone depending on the circumstances. Talking Volt/Amps 110v 20 amps and 220v 10 amps are the same measured in volt/amps and the 110v 20 amps is less likely to kill you because of the natural electrical resistance of the human skin.

My point being- as there is no POTENTIAL to earth, there can be no current flow, so you don't die.
Potential being expressed as voltage, current being amps.

Volts jolt, amps kill.

No voltage (potential) = no amps because there is no circuit.
That why you see isolation transformers in repair shops and on building sites. The latter is often used in wet conditions but safe as houses for the worker as there is no path to earth, so no chance of a shock.
You can drill a wall in heavy rain whilst standing in a puddle of dirt water and you can't get a shock.
Been there, done that as well and I'm able to tell the story which is testament to its accuracy.
(Testament being an interesting word to look up the etymology of, and especially appropriate in this case as I would have been risking my testicles if I was inaccurate)

The builders' type of transformer I'm suggesting is also an isolation transformer, meaning you have an extra layer of safety in the event of bad wiring causing what would otherwise be a serious issue.
That and the things are built to withstand rough use and have little inside save a ruddy great big transformer, meaning they last ages and will take a pile of abuse.

http://burrowselectrical.com/industrial … ormers.asp

Are double wound with an earth screen between windings.

What's a good brand of Isolation Transformer around here?

I see a bunch of various Chinese jobbies on the electronics streets, like Ky Cong, but i don't know which ones are good. Burrows and such i don't see.

I need a 3 kVA, which don't make a lot of audible noise.

Try Lotte Mart. That is where I was able to find mine. I will be back in Vietnam on Monday if you need anymore help.

Not withstanding the opinion issue the part about the supply is good advice for the xbox at least.

If you by a new of second hand xbox power supply here it will be 240 or more correctly multi voltage and you can use it anywhere

If you have other items the same might apply.  But a step down transformer would be sold to supply multiple items.

I think ACE Hardware have the transfofmerx younger looking for.

I bought a 240 power supply about a year ago in Vietnam and it works great. This is actually an old post. I should probably take it down but thank you for the advice. Maybe others can use the information.

LOL sorry, I did not look at post date, must watch that in future.
Glad to hear you resolved the problem.

Hi everybody,

As Highside25 has already found what he was looking for and as this thread is quite old, we are therefore closing it.

Thank you everyone,

Priscilla

[ Topic closed ]

Closed