Moving and building a house: Curitiba/Sao Jose dos Pinhais area

Hi guys,

I haven't been checking into the Forum for quite a while as I forgot my password so please forgive me for suddenly popping up and asking for information!

Anyway, the story is that I am currently living in Goias with my Brazilian husband, son and two dogs. It's not working out for us here (so many reasons not limited to the heatwave of 42 degrees we had until recently!!) and so we are planning to sell up (we have a farm) and move south. We'd like to move to a rural area about 45 minutes drive or so from Curitiba, so we had been looking at SJP, Bocaiuva do Sul, Colombo amongst other areas. We would like to buy land with maybe five acres and build a house.

I suppose I am looking for any general information or feedback from folks already living there but one of my big questions is more specific: does anybody know anything about planning permission in Curitiba and surrounding areas? We didn't encounter it where we currently live because we built on our farm, but I'm sure it'll be a requirement and I suppose I'm just wondering if it's a lengthy process, is it expensive, just any info at all - even if someone can tell me what office I even need to contact as I checked on Google and couldn't find anything relating to planning permission so I don't even know what government dept deals with it!

Has anybody gone through this before, any tips?

We're planning to take a trip down to check the place out as soon as we can but I'm impatient to get some research done first!

Thankyou in advance! (Also, not sure what category to put this in so I've left it blank)

In order to obtain building permits (alvará para construção) in urban areas in Curitiba you would need contact the Secretário Municipal do Urbanismo da Prefeitura de Curitiba. In surrounding areas the same department in the municipality where you intend to build.

The process would involve submitting detailed building plans that have been drawn up by an architect or civil engineer.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

As I understand it there are not many houses that are knocked back as long as you have all your plans & paperwork into the right departments. This is very different from western countries,

Kind regards
Darren Gainsford

Hi Darren and James,

Thankyou both very much for your replies. Much appreciated!

If you build it they will come....

Since you plan on moving with your dogs, don't forget that to take them outside of your state you're going to need to take them to a vet, have them examined and issued a "Guia Transito Animal - GTA" so you can transport them. That is going to be requested at every state inspection point that you are required to pass through.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team