About brussels cost of living etc..

Hello folks,

Greetings!!

We are an Indian couple with a 7 yr old daughter moving to Brussels for work for at least a 2 year which might get extended. We would be in Brussels during 1st or 2nd week of November 2015. We need your advice and help on few of the things.
1.    Stay:  What facilities will the apartments generally have - Fully furnished/ semi- furnished with fridge, oven, cook top (induction/ gas), utensils, room heaters, WiFi etc. Also will the apartment owners reduce the rent if we do not opt for few facilities - like we do not need the TV (as we do not speak French/ Dutch), we would not need the cot, etc. And my budget would be around 600 - 800 Euros.
2.    I have heard that public transport is good so no questions on that, but any tips would help. Are there options to get cycles on rent.
3.    What about indian schools ?My daughter is in 2nd standard.
4.    How are the medicals - Doctors / Pediatricians/ Hospitals availability.
5.    Weather condition - We are from moderately hot climate with temperatures ranging between 15C to 37C, and we see 3 seasons distinctively - Summer, Rainy and Winter. Any info will help us to pack our cloths accordingly.
6.    I would be getting a salary of around 3000 Euros. I would like to know how effectively I can manage with the cost of living in Brussels. I am not alcoholic or not a frequent visitor to pubs or restaurants. But we love travelling and we want to see as many places around.
7.    I like hiking/ trekking and adventure activities, are there places for such activities. Are there any hiking clubs with whom i can get associated with.
8.    Any other tips and suggestions you think is a must that we should know.
Thanks in advance!!!

Hello amitmal,

Welcome to Expat.com  :)

I will try to answer a few of your questions..

Just to have a general idea about accommodation, read the Accommodation in Brussels article. The best way to know whether you will benefit from a reduction in rent cost is to drop a "Looking for" advert so as you can compare the offers you might get.

You can drop an advert here : Housing in Brussels

Indian schools in Belgium :

The following threads will most probably give you relevant infos.

- Bilingual/English immersion schools in Brussels

- Cheaper english speaking school in Belgium?

Also check in the Business directory for primary schools/private primary schools : Education in Brussels

Concerning health, read the threads through the Health system in Brussels

Weather condition

Here is a glimpse :

Discover Belgium

"Climate
Belgium has a temperate marine climate. Temperatures are quite pleasant in summer, reaching up to 20 °C against 5 °C in winter. However, the South, Wallonia in particular, enjoys an ideal climate for hiking and trekking. Liege, for its part, is surrounded by diverse landscapes, including forests and hills."

Cost of living

- Cost of living Brussels, Belgium- 2015

- Cost of living in Belgium – 2015

I leave the rest for members to advice/guide you.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Ah, these questions were sent to me as PM also. Posting the reply in the forum also..

Happy to help with the info I have..

1.    Stay:  What facilities will the apartments generally have - Fully furnished/ semi- furnished with fridge, oven, cook top (induction/ gas), utensils, room heaters, WiFi etc. Also will the apartment owners reduce the rent if we do not opt for few facilities - like we do not need the TV (as we do not speak French/ Dutch), we would not need the cot, etc. And my budget would be around 600 - 800 Euros.

>>> There are furnished, unfurnished and service apartments. A standard furnished apartment 1 bhk will cost between 700 to 900 EUR and 2 BHK a bit more if you select to stay within the city limits in a well connected (public transport, shops, good neighborhood, etc) area. Furnished apartments will contain TV, fridge, oven, dishwasher, washing machine (conditional), bare minimum set of utensils, etc. Wifi is included in some, but it is not a standard. I don't think they would reduce the rent if you decide not to avail some facilities, but some landlords and flexible and you can negotiate. Unfurnished apartments are less expensive (700 to 1000 EUR for 2 BHK) plus additional charges (electricity, utility charges, internet, water). Most of them comes with an equipped kitchen (cooktop, fridge, oven, and sometimes dishwasher too). Serviced apartments are like apart-hotels (example: Brussels business flats - BBF). They cost around around 1200 or more for 1bhk all inclusive. NOTE: All these figures are subject to change depending on the area you select. General Info is in many threads posted in the previous reply.

2.    I have heard that public transport is good so no questions on that, but any tips would help. Are there options to get cycles on rent.

>> I found the public transport very good in the city. MOnthly passes, etc makes it less expensive. Yes, if you stay or work in the outskirts, it can be a bit tough (may have to change buses or bus+tram/train, etc). Yes, there are bicycles for rent. Also buying one wont cost that much.

3.    What about indian schools ?My daughter is in 2nd standard.

>> No Indian schools in Brussels. There is one in Antwerpen (DY Patil school) from Indian management, but not sure what syllabus they follow. Google up their website. There are English schools in Brussels.

Schooling is another huge topic :) These threads will give you the info you need.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=348415https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=467389

4.    How are the medicals - Doctors / Pediatricians/ Hospitals availability.

>> Very good facilities. A lot of English speaking pediatricians. Overall high quality medical care.

5.    Weather condition - We are from moderately hot climate with temperatures ranging between 15C to 37C, and we see 3 seasons distinctively - Summer, Rainy and Winter. Any info will help us to pack our cloths accordingly.

>> In Belgium you see all 4 seasons - Spring, Summer, Autumn (fall) and winter, and we joke sometimes that you get to see all these in one day if you are lucky :) ok. Jokes apart, in summer, average is 20-25 (3-4 months of summer), with the peak of >30 degrees a 2-3 weeks max in the year. In winter, it goes subzero for a week or two with or without snowing. Google Brussels weather to get a forecast of the period you are going to arrive. That will help you to be prepared.

6.    I would be getting a salary of around 3000 Euros. I would like to know how effectively I can manage with the cost of living in Brussels. I am not alcoholic or not a frequent visitor to pubs or restaurants. But we love travelling and we want to see as many places around.

>> 3000 EUR (if net - in hand) is a good salary. You can live comfortably. (English education is expensive. Refer other threads that I quoted.).

7.    I like hiking/ trekking and adventure activities, are there places for such activities. Are there any hiking clubs with whom i can get associated with.

>> Yes. Be it any sport, you will find lot of activity groups.

Hope this helps..

Thanks anesh . . This would be very useful for me . ...C u soon 😊