Budget: need an overview opinion

Hi

I have a job offer to Brussels and I am thinking carefully about the "budget". What I ask you people is an overall budget opinion considering this lifestyle:

- to live, a good room would be enough. For a start, it is my preference like in a residence with other people (students, people who came to work, etc) would not make me feel alone.
- the job will be hard (late hours) so problably I won't not have great chances to cook and spare money preparing a home made lunch. The idea is to buy microwave stuff during the week (lasagna, soup, etc) and make healthier meals during weekend;
- the job is executive kind, I need to pay for ironing the shirts, and from time to time to pay the dry cleaning for the suits;
- i'd like to go out on weekends but no big deal about clubbing, for me it is ok a coffee or a drink in small/quiet bars.
- i might need a portable internet conection (if not available at home);
- have no special addictions like smoke, magazines, records, etc..

Here is my budget:

- available net amount: 1500 EUR/month;
- will have company car with all the expenses covered (fuel as well);
- mobile phone with a credit of 50,00 EUR/month.

After rent, I am counting with 900 EUR...no more than 1000 EUR.

Do you find this fair, considering the cost of life, or I will just "survive"?

Thank you all,
Cheers

Welcome to Expat-blog, smiguel

Your discussion has been redirected to the Brussels forum for effective networking.

I will suggest you to view this website to get an overview of the approximate cost of living in Brussels. It listed the price of the basic "items/services" that am sure will be helpful to you to calculate your monthly/weekly expenses.

Hope this helps a little bit meanwhile.

Regards

I think you will do well... but if you are looking to save, perhaps not much will be left for that.

I think, your survival depends on the way you live.

But a quick calculation to foresee if you will survive:
(amounts per month)
Food&drinks from supermarket: min 160
If you eat&drink outside twice a week: min 120
Internet: 40(average speed)
ironing: I have no idea!

An apartment for 600 all included will not be comfortable, but I assume you got one.

900-320=580 euros
You either save it or buy more beers in the weekend. Or get a lot of suits ironed. It is your choice.

thank you all, thanks sejant

I visited Brussels a couple of times, actually did some supermarket shopping and for a single guy, I agree with your 160.
The suit laundry question is indeed important as I'll have to look good every day. For regular laundry in street machines I guess 40 EUR / month will do. My plan is to find good single room (450-500 EUR), instead of a bad appartment and after checking how much I really expend, maybe I could upgrade for an appartment. This is how I am achieving the 900 EUR as available money.

How much for an hair cut? This is the type of thing that I don't see rated anywhere.

Please don't refrain to comment :-)

Cheers

Haircut?!
You are an economist, aren't you? :)
I think, a cheap haircut is around 10 euros in the Turkish district. But, a real stylish one, maybe double that. If you want the hair of Japanese pop stars, triple, or wait even more.
To be honest I haven't had a haircut in Belgium for a long time. I could go home often lately for business. There I had my favourite hair dresser. He is the best for me...

Indeed, now I am considering to cut my hair to 3 mm. Summer hair!

"Economist" lolol no man...just preventing things, and see how many beers can I take in the end!

My hair is beginning to miss, no chance for Japanese style ;) Maybe in a near future I'll have to go for the summerhair too!

See things this way, in Lisbon I can take a very good expresso for 0,60 EUR, how about that? This is why I am going through small things...

wow, Lisbon is great! Maybe I should go to Lisbon.
I have never been in Portugal, such a shame!!

well, it was just an example as in brussels a coffee is 2.50-3.00 EUR. here medical assistance, cars (around +5000 EUR), and fuel are more expensive.

I encourage you to come for holidays some day, nice weather, good beaches, the food is good and very affordable ;)

cya