The Art of Bargaining in Vietnam

Open air markets are ubiquitous in Vietnam. While much of the develop world relies on supermarket to get their fresh produce and other grocery items, many countries like Vietnam still rely on good ol open markets.

There are stark contrasts between the two, none more significant than the fact the latter has no fixed prices. Its quite possible each customer will get a different price. With no real regulation, this truly is a laissez-faire open market, no pun intended. The subsequent result is a culture of bargaining, a classic back-in-forth battle between seller and buyer until a final price can be agreed upon.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/images/2015/09/22/anh1.jpg

Bargaining is so commonplace that it is expected that one bargains even when one is a regular customer. Refusing to partake in the ritual, one runs the risk of being ripped-off.However, it isnt a skill many are adept because it makes us feel uncomfortable. To the unaware traveler, it may very well feel like Vietnamese people are trying to cheat them. It isnt only you who feel cheated, many Vietnamese complain about the price discrepancy when they travel to another region in Vietnam. Let me reassure you that while it happens everywhere around the world, that probably isnt most peoples intention here in Vietnam.

I personally dont like bargaining, a few dollars here and there isnt going to bankrupt me. The longer I lived here and the more I assimilated, however, I realize that it isnt about the money. Bargaining is more of a form of social interaction meant to create and sustain relationships. At the every least it creates dialogue, encouraging people to talk more to one another. Take for what it is, a fun little game. And in the end both parties will be happy, the seller having acquired a new customer and the buyer content the seller gave in and gave a discount.

I learned to have fun with it and in the process Ive become somewhat of an expert. It can be uncomfortable at first but youll get the hang of it. So below are some of my tips to bargaining successfully in Vietnam.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/images/2015/09/22/anh2.jpg

Always Bargain

Unless you go into a supermarket or department store or unless theres clearly a price tag, you should always bargain. You can pretty much bargain for anything: souvenirs, food and drinks, anything you buy on the street or in the market, rickshaw fare and even hotel rooms. Be sure to negotiate the price before the service is rendered or else youre responsible for the price asked.

-->> Vietnamese Dong

Smile and have fun

The vendor is more inclined to give you a better price if youre friendly and making them laugh. Remember to relax, smile, and enjoy the exchange.

Learn some basic Vietnamese

Vietnamese people are always pleasantly surprised and excited to hear a foreigner speak their language. Learning a few phrases like baonhieutien (how much), dat qua (too expensive), giamgia (lower the price) will certainly help your cause.

Research the market price

It certainly helps if you have a rough idea of how much something actually cost. The internet and countless travel websites can provide you the answer. If theres something you know you want to buy, especially if its costly be sure to research the price.

http://www.upsieutoc.com/images/2015/09/22/anh3.jpg

Counter and continue to fight for 2 more rounds

When you ask for the price, the seller will give you a ridiculously high price. The rule of thumb is to counter with 50% of the asking price. If its too low, youll be able to tell by the sellers reaction. The seller will then proceed to give you a new price which will be closer to the actual price. Continue on for 2 more rounds of this back-in-forth and youll get the price your heart desire.

The walk away

Finally, I bestow on you my secret move. If youre not satisfied with the price or sense that tension is flaring, simply pretend to walk away. The thought of losing a customer will force the seller to succumb and give you the best possible price they can offer. Trust me, it works like a charm.

Good work  :)
Most of them are shy to bargain. After pay excess price, they write it in some forum to relax  :)

" Smile and have fun "
That doesn't look like much fun when 2 VN's are trying to agree on a price, a couple of times I've asked my wife what it was that they were fighting about?

the walk away, always work!

@ thanh3290 > Can you please mention the source of this article please? Otherwise we should remove it completely from the forum because of copyright laws !

Thanks,

Priscilla

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/vie … goods.html

@Priscilla okay i'll  add source rightnow :D

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=527489
About Vietnam's spirituality :D

Nice post Thanh3290.  :top:

Very useful tips for the tourist and/or expat in Vietnam

Great explanation of how to bargain. May I add you to my contacts list? 

Thanks and have a great year.
JO

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.