Mental Health field in France

Hi everyone,

I live and work in Edinburgh, and am researching a move to France possibly next year, or at least in the next couple years.  I work in the field of mental health, as a CBT therapist.  I would be keen to do something similar in France, either working privately, for the state, or for a charity.

Does anyone know anything about the 'mental health field' in France, i.e. is there much of a charity sector, as we have in Britain? are there local projects that I could get involved in?

I would really appreciate any help or advice people may have!

Thanks very much, Gavin

Hi - first question - do you speak French? If not you're really looking at Paris or other areas with large numbers of expats.

Question 2 - do you have formal qualifications? Really needed here. You would need to have them recognised by the French authorities - and this might not be easy.

A lot of research still to be done chez vous

Ian

Hi, thanks for your message.

Yes, I do speak French. I'd be keen to work either with French, or with expats (or both).

Yes, I have formal qualifications.  However, in addition to working formally as a psychologist, I would like to find out about working for mental health charities and projects (i.e. in a project worker/project manager sort of role).  Do you know where I can find out about this?

Many thanks, Gavin

Me again - have googled(French)bénévolat santé mentale but couldn't find much about mental health volunteering apart from Canada. But you'll have more time than me to look round the internet. You could also try the Catholic Church in France.

A little trip to the French consulate might help - worth a try. I hope they've improved the seats for the films they show.

I would ask the organisation about having your qualifications validated in France - and you'll need everything translated into French.

The French do seem to consume anti-depressants in large quantities so there would seem to be a good market for your services.

In general, the charity sector in France is less developed than in the UK.

Many Brits are tearing their hair out too - low interest rates, weak £ are hurting many who didn't do their sums properly, or plan properly their move.

Good luck

Ian

Last message today - forgot to say that suicide rates among children are higher here than in the UK.

You could look at the French emmaus website to see if that is what you might be interested in.

But for any charity I think you would have to come to France first.

I presume you have sufficient funds to support yourself - including private health insurance if you are not earning.