Iasi move

Hi,

I lived in Bucharest 8 years ago and now after a long and circuitous route I am moving back to live in Iasi to work at the British Council.
I am just writing to ask how people find it there, things to do, how easy it is to find an apartment, costs etc.

multumesc for any info!

Halla wallah 👳
Well flats are going to be expensive because students ll come soon.
My advice is not to get the flat through an agency and get it through fb renting groups where you can contact the owner directly .
Places close to British council are Copou and Pecurari.
Good Luck 😊

ibidthefrog wrote:

Hi,

I lived in Bucharest 8 years ago and now after a long and circuitous route I am moving back to live in Iasi to work at the British Council.
I am just writing to ask how people find it there, things to do, how easy it is to find an apartment, costs etc.

multumesc for any info!

Well, Iasi has exploded in the last few years, both in size and in things that are available now.  Prices however are considered quite high though, Iasi is considered I think the most expensive city aside from Bucharest.  Utility prices can be almost double that of Cluj or Sibiu for example.  Still, I find it manageable obviously.

As for finding an apartment, there are a TON of them available here, including one that I own which is available. PM me if you're interested.  There are websites of course for finding apartments, however the majority of them are represented by agencies who are sharks, so you'll pay a commission to them, and they'll usually not care about your interests or concerns; they only want that money quick quick quick, so don't expect them to show you something you really want, they'll show you what they want to get rented.

Romaniac
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat-Blog

Hi, i am new in Iasi too, I come from Italy, Welcome!  :)  unfortunately I can't answer your logistic questions, apart from the fact that Iasi is nice and cute and I think it will be a pleasant stay... Hopefully!
I am wondering if there is an expat community here... It would be nice! Have a nice sunday,
L.

Welcome !!

LetiziaM wrote:

Hi, i am new in Iasi too, I come from Italy, Welcome!  :)  unfortunately I can't answer your logistic questions, apart from the fact that Iasi is nice and cute and I think it will be a pleasant stay... Hopefully!
I am wondering if there is an expat community here... It would be nice! Have a nice sunday,
L.

Welcome to LetiziaM,

Indeed there is an expat community here, though we are a bit secluded and perhaps cut off from each other, which I am trying to change with the recent addition of this Iasi forum on Expat-Blog.  With the many universities in town and large international companies established here, I know there are plenty of foreign students here, as well as professionals working and living here.  My hope is that we'll get better connected and be able to share our experience and guide others, as well as have some fun perhaps :)

Romaniac
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat-Blog