Bucharest or Cluj-Napoca?

Dear Expatters,

I am planning to move to Romania next year. I want to move somewhere in the first quarter of 2019 as I have to take care of my business here first :) (I am a self employed business, but I will first need to have more customers in order for a stable income when I move to Romania). Also, I will graduate in a few months, if all goes right.

So, I have a lot of time left to make decisions. I was wondering, if you had the opportunity, would you move to Bucharest or Cluj-Napoca? Many of my friends recommended Cluj-Napoca, some didn't as it seems to be more expensive than Bucharest, even.

The dealbreaker for me: the humidity (weather). I recon Cluj-Napoca is in Transylvania. Where is the weather more stable? Bucharest or Cluj-Napoca? And how is living in each of these places? What are the expenses? How's life in general? (I do like lively cities, I don't mind the crowd or traffic).

Let me know,
Dennis

Hello Dennis,

As most people would tell you, both cities have their ups and downs. Both cities have a hectic life in terms of business, traffic and lifestyle

I'll try to give you some heads up:

Weather
Humidity tends to be slightly greater in Bucharest, resulting in hot and rainy summers and windy winters. However differences are not that visible as statistics tend to point. What you should note is that Bucharest is located within the Romanian plain and it tends to get more windy and cold within the winter. So, I would say that the weather is more stable in Cluj.

Costs
As far as the costs, recently rent got slightly pricier in Cluj compared to Bucharest because of the lack of enough spaces to accommodate new people moving in. Instead, Cluj has the advantage of smaller distances which cuts off a lot of the costs of transport.

Traffic
Traffic is messy in both cities. While Cluj has less cars driving through when compared with Bucharest, the latter has wider boulevards. At the end of the day, traveling within rush hours can be frustrating. Bucharest has a metro system, while Cluj has a quite punctual tram/bus system and more dedicated bus lanes.

Lifestyle
Both cities have a lively lifestyle with diverse bars, pubs, shopping malls and entertainment venues. Cluj hosts many sports competitions (both national and international) because it has a slightly better sports infrastructure and also hosts the two largest music festivals in Romania (both in the summer: Electric Castle and Untold). Recently they named Cluj the European Youth Capital which boosted the cultural scene of the city.

Food
Prices are generally lower than in Western countries in both cities. While grocery is basically same cost in both cities, eating in a restaurant can result in higher (but generally affordable) prices in Bucharest. It really much depends on the cuisine and your tastes.

Not much, but at least a starting point. If you have other questions feel free to write me a message,

Regards,