Malaysian Permanent Residence Process

Hi all,

My wife is Malaysian and I am British. I am considering to move to work to Singapore as a doctor but also want to apply for a permanent residence visa in Malaysia if possible for ease of visiting my wife and her family. Just want to ask if anyone has done something similar and how did it pan out?

My specific questions are; the long term social pass visa is it multi entry? Also the criteria for applying a Malaysian permanent visa states I need to have lived in Malaysia continuously for 5 years. Does that mean I can't leave Malaysia for five years? How do they define continuously living in Malaysia for 5 years? can I travel to Singapore daily but have a fixed address in Malaysia as my chief living address? 

Any help much appreciated!

Just to add my wife lives in JB so commuting daily is do-able. The long term social pass visa requires us to be married for 6 months for that 6 months am I allowed to leave Malaysia at all?

You need to register your marriage in Malaysia first stop. Then you can apply after 6 months for the LTSVP. You need to live in Malaysia for at least the first 1 year full time but you can apply for a multi-entry visa during this time. After one year further extensions will be given. After 5 years an application can be made for a PR. There should be nothing stopping you cross-bordering into Singapore on an EP from MOM. As you will be resident in JB there would be no problem with this arrangement as you return daily to your home in Malaysia.

Hi Gravitas, thanks for the advice.

Just a quick follow up question. For the first 6 months after registering our marriage would I be allowed to travel to Singapore for work or would I have to stay in Malaysia border all the time?

Help much appreciated.

You have to be married for 6 months to start the LTSVP process. If you have been that's OK.  But you must register your marriage in Malaysia (Its problematic if you don't do this if married abroad within 6 months of the marriage). If you have not been married for 6 months, you are subject to your normal visitor visa regulations in Malaysia, i.e. if you need a visa to enter, you would need one every day - so no its not going to work to be working cross-border and you would be better to remain in Singapore for the 6 months waiting for the qualification period to be over. You could do this on your EP from MOM.

Is your wife eligible under Talent Corp returning Malaysians?  That would be a better way to return to Malaysia as you may get a PR sooner.

http://www.talentcorp.com.my/talents/malaysians-abroad

I currently have a British passport so I can stay in Singapore and Malaysia for three months without a visa. My wife is near completion of her studies, after which she will return to work in JB.

So would you suggest I stay in Singapore for the six month before long term social pass visa application and once I have it I can apply for multi entry? Then I can commute daily to Singapore for work?

Yes otherwise your passport will be full of stamps and you may have problem at immigration. Make sure your marriage has been registered though - that is the most important matter.

To work in Singapore you need a work permit there and commuting isn't pleasant. Why not just stay there? You can both become Singaporeans much quicker than you can get PR in Malaysia. And work far better.