Who can survive in culturally different environment?

Hello everybody
It is known that some expatriates effectively survive in culturally different environment while some of them have failed. Please answer me who can effectively survive?

This is an impossible question to answer, I'm afraid.  Some people enjoy it and can live happily as an expat and some people have emmense trouble acclimating and are extremely unhappy and move back to their home country much sooner than they would have thought.  I dont think there is anyway of knowing which one of those categories you may fall. 

However, since you have posted two threads on this topic, I would guess that you are doubting your ability to thrive and perhaps that should be a clue that maybe you shouldnt take the big leap.

Blog: beyondthequeen.blogspot.com

It is easier for someone with an open mind to survive than someone with a closed mind.

No, I have no doubting about my ability. My research is related to expatriate effectiveness.

I agree with open-mindedness. Open people have nondiscriminatory attitude towards different cultural individuals, and their cultural background, norms, and values. In addition, they have more capability to make correct attribution about the reasons or causes of host national's behavior.

As a multiple expat I must say that there are cultures in which I feel more than at home (= more at home than in my native country, which is still a tad too macho and too religious for my taste), in which I love to live and there are some in which I'd prefer to visit for a limited time - out of curiosity or because of natural beauty of the country in question, but in which I would never wish to assimilate.

All cultures in which a woman is supposed to be a second class citizen, more or less locked up at home and destined to care about home and children as her life's role, belong to the second category.

Perhaps I am close minded - but on women's rights I'd rather be too unyielding to oppresion, even culrurally motivated. than too permissive.

i think that we have to learn the culture of the place you have to be not to make others sad from you

Yes, I also agree you need to be open minded and not always compare everything with how it is in your native country, even if it easliy happens. To be too nationalistic about oneŽs own country is blocking the ability to assimilate and funcion well in the new country...

I think you need to be open minded and you must have a good knowledge of the other society

You need to be open minded, respect and tolerate each other...

I think it is easier when there are some perceived cultural similarities, for example, British people feel at home in Singapore and Hong Kong, where there are institutional similarities because they are ex colonies and is an established British community. Do other people agree?

I also agree with open mindedness.
You just have to acknowledge that there are other ways of doing things not just the way you do it.
You have to take to mind that there are other cultures that think about topics with different point of view and that it is possible to live their way, but first you must learn.

And dont be afraid, you should take a lesson everything that you see, and if you dont know what to do; ask. :)

before accusing a culture of being oppressive towards women perhaps you should understand why it is that way first?   You may be surprised?  or maybe not?

Oh, erin, it is not a question of understanding - patriarchalism, its causes and its manifestations have been widely studied and are well understood.

My - a tad convoluted perhaps - point was: not to exaggerate open-mindedness to the point of excusing slavery, racism, sexism, inequality and other societal ills.

Be an open mind and accept the fact that your an expat.

i do not know about openmindness,, we europeans cannot understand for example  the pesudo prostitution and corruptions in developing countries,.
or for example i was in a hotel in cairo and a guy beside me from egypt was beating on about american foreign policys and the palastenians probs, he virtually was blaming me/the west  for  all the ills of his society,.i learn to be more carful about who i choose to be friends with,..mike

I'm having a great time, but I'm still new.  Maybe after a while I'll have more problems.

The hardest thing for me is the language barrier.  I don't know any Chinese and most people don't speak English, but I'm always grateful for the people who do.

If there is some sort of common language it helps. It's also easier/quicker fitting in to a new environment if you are on your own and you are forced to make new friends. :)

be open mind

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR