Anyone know what happened to the IM Forums?

I was never a frequent user of the International Man Forums site but I wanted to look something up yesterday and could not get the site to open. Searching today I've come to the conclusion the forum has been "pulled" by the owner Doug Casey of Casey Research.
Was anyone else here a member and, if yes, do you know what happened?

El_Jost wrote:

I was never a frequent user of the International Man Forums site but I wanted to look something up yesterday and could not get the site to open. Searching today I've come to the conclusion the forum has been "pulled" by the owner Doug Casey of Casey Research.
Was anyone else here a member and, if yes, do you know what happened?

I wrote to IM about it and got a bare note saying the Forum had been discontinued. For me, the only part of the site worth reading was the Forum. I contributed to it once in a while, and am sorry to lose it.

Gordon Barlow wrote:

I wrote to IM about it and got a bare note saying the Forum had been discontinued. For me, the only part of the site worth reading was the Forum. I contributed to it once in a while, and am sorry to lose it.

That about sums up my thoughts!
I just looked it up in the WayBackMachine and see the last post was 24 March this year.
I remember that initially the forum was separate and only affiliated to Casey Research but after it had developed well they smelled the chance of commercializing it and then made it a part of their site. This caused many some concern wondering if private data would be so well guarded and not misused. Not only that but at first the new site worked very poorly on my browser but that did improve.
I still regret its loss; It was a gold mine for specialized info. on changing domicile, passports, getting round obnoxious authorities etc. etc.
I wonder if any other specialized sites provide a similar service?

El_Jost wrote:

I still regret its loss; It was a gold mine for specialized info. on changing domicile, passports, getting round obnoxious authorities etc. etc. I wonder if any other specialized sites provide a similar service?

I don't know of any. there's a forum called "British Expats", which (rather like this EB site) carries tips on living in other countries, one by one, but there's nothing like the IM Forum. EB could probably copy what IM did, but EB's administration has a hang-up about political commentary, which IM didn't have. I'll get back to you if I do find anything similar.

Try https://www.reddit.com/r/perpetualtravel

Meet other expats and join the events

OR