Advice on which Town to move to :-)

Myself and my partner are considering moving to Malta based on a possible job offer for myself in Sliema. However, we are unsure as to the best place for us to live.

My partner will be looking for a bar job (but preferably not in a nightclub) and he does not drive so we are hoping to move somewhere he will be able to find a bar job in walking distance. I drive but was not intending on bringing my car, however if needed then will purchase one there.

We would prefer to live on the coast in at least a 3 bedroom, and within a household budget (rent, utilities & food) of around €1,000.

Does anyone have any advice of the best areas to look and whether this budget is realistic?

As this has a few questions covering different areas I have posted this in a couple of categories.

Many Thanks in Advance :-)

see post in other thread

there is not really a best place to live cause everyone is different. We live in different cities and I guess each expat will tell you his city is the best ahah. If you don't want to drive and work in a bar, you must focus on sliema area, then bugibba and mellieha. Sliema, more work all year round.

Hi,
Wondering if you lovely people can offer us some advice too please.
My husband has just been offered a job starting October based in Gzira, we want to be based somewhere nearby so that he can either walk or short bus to work.
We would be looking for a 2/3 bed preferably ground floor as we would very much like to bring our cat! We don't want somewhere too quiet, but equally not right in the middle of bars etc
Which areas would you recommend? Any advice is very much appreciated

Chelleclover wrote:

Hi,
Wondering if you lovely people can offer us some advice too please.
My husband has just been offered a job starting October based in Gzira, we want to be based somewhere nearby so that he can either walk or short bus to work.
We would be looking for a 2/3 bed preferably ground floor as we would very much like to bring our cat! We don't want somewhere too quiet, but equally not right in the middle of bars etc
Which areas would you recommend? Any advice is very much appreciated

gzira would be a great place to live , your not to far  from sliema and stjulians or valletta

Gzira is a great place if you're into hookers.

Have the people posting about locations even looked at a map ? I suggest google.Its quite a new website but it tells you alot of information.

Thanks, my question was more to get personal recommendations, there's only so much you can get from google! We had thought, Msida, Ta Xbiex or St Julian's but didn't know which of these would be the best option.

Hi Chelleclover

Robpw2 was right is suggesting Gzira as a great place to live.

I assure you that Gzira is a relatively big urban area and not full of 'hookers' as has been suggested. There are one or two streets near the old stadium (towards the Msida end) that are known for prostitution, but this is not representative of the majority of decent working people who work and live in the Gzira area.

The Savoy area up the hill and the parts bordering Sliema are decent and respectable, most people are residents in these streets rather than tourists. Some parts look a bit scruffy, but that is quite normal in many large built up areas in Malta. There are a mix of quiet streets and noisier ones where there are lots of traffic, so you would need to assess the impact of surrounding roads on any property you might view.

We have lived in the area for 6 years, having owned two separate properties here during that time. We have been very happy and had no problems, have never felt uncomfortable or at risk when out and about day or night, and have had nothing but friendly and welcoming experiences with our Maltese neighbours.

There are good local general stores, butchers, fish, fruit and veg shops to meet everyday needs.

Walking distance from the shops in Sliema is around 15 minutes along the Strand seafront. 

We elected not to own a car and that is why we chose Gzira as it has good transport links as well as being within walking distance of Sliema. There are regular buses, for example, to Valletta and to the airport, and to Sliema and beyond

There are a large variety of restaurants, cafes and bars in the area and along the way to Sliema to suit all budgets.

Property prices and rentals are less expensive than in Sliema. It represents good value in a busy central location.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Charley