Move to Copenhagen? Pros and cons. Could someone answer?

I have a job offer from Denmark and I am weighing pros and cons. My gross pay is US $60,000/year. I can negotiate it a bit more, but want to get a realistic sense before I do so. I am single, no children and generally like to live well. That is, I enjoy traveling and dining out. Though the job is potentially permanent, who knows what future holds! But I am planning to move with an open mind and see where life takes me. My questions are about finances that I hope you could provide some insights into.
1. What would be the monthly take home salary based on US $60,000/year?
2. Approximate monthly expenses? I plan to rent an apartment by myself instead of sharing rooms.
3. My biggest attraction to move to Denmark is to be able to travel and explore Europe. Would it make sense to buy a car or just rent is when I travel?
4. My work place is in Copenhagen. Does it make sense to live there or should I live in any towns nearby? Again, as I am single woman in mid-40s, I do not want to live in isolation. I enjoy cultural outings so like to have easy access to all the cultural and social activities.
5. I do not know the language, but hope to learn it soon. Would I be able to function well initially even without knowing the language?
6. If I decide to leave in 5 years, would it financially hurt me?
7. Kind of silly, but is it easy to find vegan food in Denmark?
I would appreciate any information that you could provide.

Thank you.

Well, I am not in Copenhagen but I will try to help you as much as I can.

1 United States Dollar = 6.7212 Danish Krone

1.That is very good salary for Denmark ( around 33.000 dkk) but keep in mind that you will always get salary before tax. And the lowest income ta in DK is around 40%. Copenhagen is widely expensive!!!!
2. Not sure about expenses but - numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Denmark&city=Copenhagen
3. Tax for buying a car in DK is 180%!!!! The best is always used car (and cheaper) but more here: http://copenhagen.angloinfo.com/informa … ling-cars/
4. Try to live in Copenhagen but, again, it is VERY expensive. Many lives in the small cities around Copenhagen.
5. Almost everybody speak english! Don't worry! :-) But, for the normal life - learn danish.
6. It could.
7. You can find anything in Copenhagen....

But, read this: nyidanmark.dk/en-US/
worktrotter.dk/
denmark.dk/en/practical-info/work-in-denmark/

If you have more questions - don't hesitate to ask...

Good luck

Alex

I've lived in Copenhagen since January 2014.
Life as a single is very expensive. Taxes are very high (consider more than 44% of your gross salary) and VAT is 25% on everything. If you don't have children, you cannot enjoy many of the services paid with these high taxes.

1. I would say that this is an average salary. After taxes you should receive around 18000 DKK/month.
2. Rent depends on which area of Copenhagen and type of apartment you choose. In the center you would probably be asked 15000 DKK/month, in the surrounding you would be able to find acceptable accommodation for 8000 DKK/month.  I estimate about 4000 DKK/month for food. Eating outside is more expensive than in other European countries.
3. Denmark strongly discourages the use of car with crazy taxes (180% of the commercial value). Here lot of families have no car. Public transport is very good and you can move everywhere in Denmark with it.
4. Copenhagen is a multicultural, international and exiting city, but is very expensive. Many people decide to live i Sweden (Malmoe), where living cost is minor, and commute everyday to Copenhagen (it takes about 30 minutes).
5. Almost everyone speak English, and in Copenhagen you can meet lots of foreigners
6. I think yes
7. Some colleagues of mine are vegans, so I think the answer is yes.

Good luck,
  Siro

Alex and Siro,

Thank you for replying to me. After reading the replies, I am thinking I'll be ok with not buying car and can rent it when I travel long distance. I can negotiate salary a bit more (another US $10K/year). Everything about Copenhagen/Denmark looks exciting, except that it looks like I'll be paying very high taxes for services that I would not avail. I guess I need to think more about it as I am ok with not saving much, but want to make sure that I can live a good life and for me that is normally eating out, attending cultural and sports events and traveling.

Thank you again for very specific and informative reply.

Eating out at the local pizza or thai take away will cost you around 150DKK per person. If you're looking at nice restaurants, it's more like 700DKK per person.

As a result, I cook a lot more since being in Copenhagen