Obtaining a work permit using 5 years experience in relevant field?

Hi all,

I've read a few times that to get a work permit as an English teacher you can use 5 years proof of employment in the field and not need a degree or ESL teaching certificate. I've also read that this isn't applicable to teachers and only works in some other fields of employment.

Does anyone know much about this? Can anyone out there let me know if I could get a WP as a teacher using 5 years of previous experience if I don't have a university degree?

Cheers

How do you have five years of experience with no degree or certification? Just curious who would hire someone with no education.

Anyway, I believe it's five years experience in lieu of a degree. So you would still need a cert of some kind.

Now, as Vietnam law about Vietnam work permit, you are required to have abroad 5-year experience certificate at the same position OR university degree.
So if you have 5-year experience certificate in teaching English, you are still eligible to obtain Vietnam work permit.

KathyBrown1410 wrote:

Now, as Vietnam law about Vietnam work permit, you are required to have abroad 5-year experience certificate at the same position OR university degree.
So if you have 5-year experience certificate in teaching English, you are still eligible to obtain Vietnam work permit.

There was a Canadian woman teaching English in my city who only had a High school Diploma, but she had at least 5 years experience teaching English in Thailand, this the documentation you need.

bluenz wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:

There was a Canadian woman teaching English in my city who only had a High school Diploma, but she had at least 5 years experience teaching English in Thailand, this the documentation you need.

Yes. She has 5-year experience certificate in teaching E in Thailad, she can obtain WP. Ofcourse besides 5-year experience certificate, she also need some other papers like criminal record abroad and in Vietnam, health check, etc.

KathyBrown1410 wrote:
bluenz wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:

Yes. She has 5-year experience certificate in teaching E in Thailad, she can obtain WP. Ofcourse besides 5-year experience certificate, she also need some other papers like criminal record abroad and in Vietnam, health check, etc.

Yes, If no Degree, the main thing is the provable record of employment as an English teacher. ( to be translated and notarised here of course, along with everything else ).

Thanks for the replies!

Seems very strange that the agent my English school use is telling me that I must have a degree to get the work permit. Could it be the case that the agent doesn't know of this rule or that recently the laws to get a work permit have changed?

elemenohpee wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

Seems very strange that the agent my English school use is telling me that I must have a degree to get the work permit. Could it be the case that the agent doesn't know of this rule or that recently the laws to get a work permit have changed?

Not really strange, just a lot easier for them, the law actually changed twice last year, one minute it was 5 yrs experience, OR a Degree, ( in anything ), then it went to a Degree , but no teaching experience was necessary, then back to the Degree or the 5 years experience.