Thinking of moving to Canada

Hello everyone!

I am presently working as an assistant professor at the post graduate level in a pvt. univ. nr New Delhi. I am considering moving to Canada.
Please guide me abt the prospects for teachers there.

Hello Pratibha Dabas and welcome on board :par:

I suggest you to read our Living in Canada guide and also to browse through the ''forum Categories'', found on the right hand side of your screen, to gather useful infos to best prepare your expatriation project.

:top:

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Woah-nelly! Prathiba, I don't know much about your qualifications. So let's just put it this way I assume you would like to teach in an institute of higher learning at the tertiary level. There are 2 avenues for that - universities or community colleges. And especially since you come from overseas, it would be extremely daunting to proof that you can immediately jump into a assistant prof role. Unless your qualification spells "wow hire me!" e.g. lots of publications or written journals and a PhD with outstanding recommendation, it be difficult to get notice. Typically, folks who grad with a masters do not get to be an assistant prof here. You require a PhD. And even after a PhD, you'd need to be a postdoc for a couple of years before vying for an associate prof position after which is an assistant prof and then only a full fledge prof. That's the law and order of it. There have been folks who are able to jump but those are exceptional cases. Now this is for teaching in universities. For community colleges though it may be less stringent. You can be holding just a masters degree and they'll hire you to teach. However you don't earn the title prof or assistant prof or the like. Instead you're called an instructor. Management for community colleges are typically trying to find locals first and trust me since they are open to folks with masters, they have lots of choices. Universities, for hiring profs/asst prof/ associate prof do hire from abroad if they cannot find the right talent locally (because they require candidates to hold a phd).