Considering expat move?

Hello, my husband and I are from NJ and considering an 2-3 yr. expat move to Puerto Rico. We did a similiar assignment a couple of years ago in Ireland and had a wonderful time - very different climate, bigger island than PR, close to European spots and no language issues. Are there many expats in Palmas del Mar area? Is there a womens club for activities? Classes for learning Spanish? Would this area be a good place to live as opposed to just visiting on holiday? Interested in living in a nice, fairly upscale, safe place not too far from Los Piedros/Juncos area. Any other spots we might consider? Thank you for any info about being an expat in PR as this opportunity has presented itself suddenly and we don't have alot of time to decide.

(No free Advertising, Please)

Gary wrote:

(No free Advertising, Please)

Huh? No advertising? who deleted this? The lady was asking about a resort/community where she thinks of living and I posted the web site of this place. Is that considered advertising?

Is that what I get for providing information about Puerto Rico for years?

Thank you very much!

To prmo: the owners of this board thought it necessary to delete my post to you because I added the link the the Palmas de Mar website on which you will find many answers to your questions...

Hi Gary,

Sorry, your link has been deleted by mistake.
Could you please repost the link?

Sorry again for inconvenience caused.

Thanks

Gary, if you can repost that would be great.  I am very interested in whatever you have to share above and beyond the website.  Thank you!

Sheetul wrote:

Sorry, your link has been deleted by mistake.
Could you please repost the link?

Not only the link, the complete message was deleted...

I'll repost later(and I will save whatever I post here on my local machine, just in case...)

I can ensure you that no other message of yours will be deleted Gary, that was indeed a mistake.

All the best,

Julien

Julien wrote:

I can ensure you that no other message of yours will be deleted Gary, that was indeed a mistake.

All the best,

Julien

Thanks Julien. Best regards to Mauritius. :)

So here goes. :)

Palmas (as we call it here) is a nice place to live. There are many expats living in the area and I'm sure you'll find all kind of activities. Here's the website with a lot of information : http://www.palmasdelmar.com/

In our area east central Puerto Rico this is the only place that fits your descrption

Interested in living in a nice, fairly upscale, safe place not too far from Los Piedros/Juncos area.

Oh, by the way it is Las Piedras :)

The contrast between Palmas and the 'outside world' is rather big. The real Puerto Rico is outside although I must admit that Palmas is a nice place to be. We visit every now and then - friends from the mainland own an apartment - and there are some nice places where we hang out every now and then.

Thank you Gary. I went on the palmas site and it does look quite beautiful but I am a bit concerned about actually living in a resort area for a significant length of time.  We will probably be coming down to visit and see different areas but my husband also heard that Palmas would probably fit the bill in alot of ways and be pretty close to work. We also enjoy sailing alot too so maybe this spot would be great for that. So we'll see... thank you again.

Although Palmas de Mar is a resort, there are many people who live there all year 'round.

Coming down to visit is the best thing to do, no doubt about that. :)

Greetings everyone,
I so enjoy all the information everyone has to offer.
My Husband, Daughter (16) and myself, are wanting to move to Puerto rico. We would be  looking for work, My husband is a Machinist (CNC). I wonder if anyone has any information on Machine shops in puerto rico. Or could direct me to the proper place.
I lived in PR as a little girl for a couple of years Isla Verde.
Do not remember much spanish but am working on it.
We also lived in St John USVI for around 8 years we mangaged vacation rentals and also worked in the tourist area. any opinions ideas, I welcome them all.
Gracias. Sandi