Moving to Tripoli - Help Please!!!

Hi there!

I'm currenly being offered a position in Tripoli in the Oil & Gas industry (I'm an Engineer - God forbid!). They say the accom is in a "camp". I'm not sure what to think, so I wanted to get some feedback from some expats about their overall experiences there, and wondering if any of you could comment about your overall feeling on life in Tripoli...

I honestly don't know anything about the place, but I'm originally from Caglary, Canada. I'm 46 yrs old, newly married. I've been living and working as an expat for a few years now, but in relatively "modernized" places like Seoul, and Dubai.

I heard/saw some forum posts that say that it's a pretty boring place. Not that I necessarily need a totally "happenning" place or city to live in, but can some of you comment? Are there things to keep a guy busy? What kind of TV can you get with the Sat Dishes? I like American Sports & good hollywood movie selections too. Are there enough expats there that you can start to make a decent circle of Expat friends? I heard that there are no decent banks or reliable Bank ATM's.. so how does one handle the storage, access, and transportation re: available spending cash? Does one just bring in a WAD of it, i.e.: after every rotation, and then just store it in the provided Room Safe?

I also just heard, just now, that Canadians (now) cannot get a Visa to come to Libya. Do any of you know if this is indeed true?

Any advice you can provide me on the lifestyle in this place, and available leisure activities to keep from going crazy, would be much appreciated so I can make an informed decision on whether or not I think moving there is for me.

Also, I'm just wondering, is it dangerous at all for Expats in Tripoli? What about bringing pets there? Is it possible, and/or is it recommended or advisable? (My pet dachshund "SCOOBY" is like a SON to me, and if anything were to happen to him, I'd never forgive myself!!)? Is it hard to get a Visa for my Wife to come there to be with me?

Any help that ANY of you can provide me would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks in advance! :o)

John
a.k.a: Dachshundman1

Put it this way Scooby...

We've recently moved from Tripoli to Abu Dhabi. We won't be going back the other way :rolleyes:;)

Answers/comments in bold

dachshundman1 wrote:

What kind of TV can you get with the Sat Dishes? NON-American sports and good hollywood movies. Are there enough expats there that you can start to make a decent circle of Expat friends? Yes. I heard that there are no decent banks or reliable Bank ATM's.. so how does one handle the storage, access, and transportation re: available spending cash? Does one just bring in a WAD of it, i.e.: after every rotation, and then just store it in the provided Room Safe? banks are good enough for a visit once every few weeks to withdraw for the following month or so.

I also just heard, just now, that Canadians (now) cannot get a Visa to come to Libya. Do any of you know if this is indeed true? No idea. I still can't find decent maple syrup, though.

Any advice you can provide me on the lifestyle in this place, and available leisure activities to keep from going crazy, lots of HIRT training and the occasional Hash would be much appreciated so I can make an informed decision on whether or not I think moving there is for me. There are few Canadian engineers on the forum, you may want to get in touch with them and I'm sure they would be happy to elaborate.

Also, I'm just wondering, is it dangerous at all for Expats in Tripoli? It is surprisingly safe. What about bringing pets there? Is it possible, and/or is it recommended or advisable? (My pet dachshund "SCOOBY" is like a SON to me, and if anything were to happen to him, I'd never forgive myself!!)? http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39725 Is it hard to get a Visa for my Wife to come there to be with me? Visa with a capital V? Does't she have a Master Card or AE?

dachshundman1 wrote:

Hi there!

I'm currenly being offered a position in Tripoli in the Oil & Gas industry (I'm an Engineer - God forbid!). They say the accom is in a "camp". I'm not sure what to think, so I wanted to get some feedback from some expats about their overall experiences there, and wondering if any of you could comment about your overall feeling on life in Tripoli...

You said your Canadian are you being offered a place at Petro-Canada in Libya? Cuzz I work there and when they say camp you are most likely going to live in Janzour Tourist village or a place called OEA where all the other Expats live (They call these housing places for Expats Camps)..... not to get confused!

I honestly don't know anything about the place, but I'm originally from Caglary, Canada. I'm 46 yrs old, newly married. I've been living and working as an expat for a few years now, but in relatively "modernized" places like Seoul, and Dubai.

Well being honest not many activities like going out drinking, dancing in clubs and bars you won't find them here. Although if your into enjoying nature in terms of weather, beaches, shopping (not that great though), History, Roman Ruins and all.....then heck yea this place got that for sure!

I heard/saw some forum posts that say that it's a pretty boring place. Not that I necessarily need a totally "happenning" place or city to live in, but can some of you comment? Are there things to keep a guy busy? What kind of TV can you get with the Sat Dishes? I like American Sports & good hollywood movie selections too. Are there enough expats there that you can start to make a decent circle of Expat friends? I heard that there are no decent banks or reliable Bank ATM's.. so how does one handle the storage, access, and transportation re: available spending cash? Does one just bring in a WAD of it, i.e.: after every rotation, and then just store it in the provided Room Safe?

Happenings....Hmmm last time I saw some happenings was when I invited my friends over and we did a barbecue! As I said earlier no night life here....Boring is the true word.

I also just heard, just now, that Canadians (now) cannot get a Visa to come to Libya. Do any of you know if this is indeed true?

Alot of Expats yea and surely you can make friends at the office and I am sure you would be living as a neughbor to one your co-workers at the office. Don't bring alot of greens with you, thats one thing you should avoid...you can use your credit card what I do is drive to this particular one I know in Regata right next to the Security Guards and it's safe to withdraw from there.

There was a problem before but doesn't seem to be that case now.

Any advice you can provide me on the lifestyle in this place, and available leisure activities to keep from going crazy, would be much appreciated so I can make an informed decision on whether or not I think moving there is for me.

Also, I'm just wondering, is it dangerous at all for Expats in Tripoli? What about bringing pets there? Is it possible, and/or is it recommended or advisable? (My pet dachshund "SCOOBY" is like a SON to me, and if anything were to happen to him, I'd never forgive myself!!)? Is it hard to get a Visa for my Wife to come there to be with me?

Ohh sure you can bring Scooby...just ask your employer to give you further instructions as they have locals that can deal with the immigration procedures for your wife and Scooby!

John

Hope that helps...be happy to answer further. Cheers!

We are planning to move to libya with my family. I'm an Indian, please help me whether it is safe to live in libya. And also advise about my child education who is studying in KG1.

Please help me. I'm scared to live in libya since others are talking different about that. Can anyone from libya help me, how is the life over there.

Regards
Prabha

dachshundman1 wrote:

Hi there!

It's not a camp or compound.  It's a community where expats live.

Well, my husband was watching the football game last night from the States.  I just go to ATM machines and get money out

Not much to do.  There are some ruins, but that's like a 2-day thing.  We are making it a point to get out every 6 weeks to 2 months to somewhere else -- Malta, Spain, Tunisa, Gerber.  My husband feels it is very safe here.  Less physical crime than other places.  Someone said in a previous post that there is less crime here.  He is right.  But corruption is a big crime in my book.

Your company should handle the visa for your wife, which by the way getting a visa for you and her is ridiculously a hard process.  Contact Dr. Jalal at [email protected] and he is very nice and will email back the requirements you need to bring pets in.  But keep in mind you must contact the airlines to see what their rules & regulations are.

I am a pretty positive, versatile person; but if I knew what I know now, I would not have let hubby take the offer.  They hurried us.  You have to come for a couple of months first to see how you like it.

Good luck.

John

Also, if you do decide to come, private message me because I started an expat women's group that your wife can join us.

Sandman6 wrote:

We've recently moved from Tripoli to Abu Dhabi. We won't be going back the other way :rolleyes:;)

Aww, I want to go to Abu Dhabi.  I still want to be an expat and don't even mind a middle eastern country -- just not in Libya.

Sea Angel wrote:
Sandman6 wrote:

Aww, I want to go to Abu Dhabi.  I still want to be an expat and don't even mind a middle eastern country -- just not in Libya.

I don't understand why you were here in the first place? sorry if you think I am being rude but i've been reading your comments all along it's like you want everyone on this forum to NOT consider or even like Libya.

Now I am not a Libyan by passport here, but I was born here and do consider this my home. I've been to many places in the world including the States and have never commented or even thought of any country being not upto my standards and all the lame talks....when I was in states my co-workers went to clubs, bars, dance, parties, drinks often called me looser at times for not going with them but I had to deny by all means because it's against my dignity & religion as a matter of fact but you know what? I never felt let down back there or even thought I wasn't having fun and all because when you're in a foreign country you have to respect the culture and moralities of the other because afterall it's you who came to work and it's your will to work or not to!

As far as Abu Dhabi is concerned trust me that place has a stricter law than any other middle eastern country as far as I know there been many cases of expats having S** on beaches there and later they find themselves banned from entering the country.

Cheers!

adnankpk wrote:
Sea Angel wrote:
Sandman6 wrote:

I don't understand why you were here in the first place? sorry if you think I am being rude but i've been reading your comments all along it's like you want everyone on this forum to NOT consider or even like Libya.

Now I am not a Libyan by passport here, but I was born here and do consider this my home. I've been to many places in the world including the States and have never commented or even thought of any country being not upto my standards and all the lame talks....when I was in states my co-workers went to clubs, bars, dance, parties, drinks often called me looser at times for not going with them but I had to deny by all means because it's against my dignity & religion as a matter of fact but you know what? I never felt let down back there or even thought I wasn't having fun and all because when you're in a foreign country you have to respect the culture and moralities of the other because afterall it's you who came to work and it's your will to work or not to!

As far as Abu Dhabi is concerned trust me that place has a stricter law than any other middle eastern country as far as I know there been many cases of expats having S** on beaches there and later they find themselves banned from entering the country.

Cheers!

You might want to delete one of the entries mate as it is a duplicate. I think Sandman was (and still is) annoyed that quite a few locals posted whilst looking through rose coloured glasses, and could see no wrong in their country (their isn't one in the world that doesn't have it's faults). It's a strange one, you have a choice come here and integrate or stay living as close to possible as you were in your home country, which is difficult for most. I like the different culture, and for the most part love the people, but it will not stop me from pointing out simple things, that if remedied could make Libya so much of a better place to live and work.

If I wanted culture, I'd buy a yoghurt. :)

Clansman wrote:
adnankpk wrote:
Sea Angel wrote:

Moved here for work and had no idea what we were going to have to deal with.  I am not saying the people are bad.  It's just in the business side nothing stays the same.  They have ridiculous requirements for everything.  They make it harder than it needs to be.

You may have dignity & religion, but there are some that don't.  All I have seen is a lot of double standards.  The minute out of country, some are drinking. 

Yes, as far as being in a foreign country, I do respect the culture and morales; but I want the same in return.

Talking to others who have lived, visited and worked in lots of other foreign countries, they all say the same -- this is the most difficult. 
Cheers!

You might want to delete one of the entries mate as it is a duplicate. I think Sandman was (and still is) annoyed that quite a few locals posted whilst looking through rose coloured glasses, and could see no wrong in their country (their isn't one in the world that doesn't have it's faults). It's a strange one, you have a choice come here and integrate or stay living as close to possible as you were in your home country, which is difficult for most. I like the different culture, and for the most part love the people, but it will not stop me from pointing out simple things, that if remedied could make Libya so much of a better place to live and work.

Exactly, Clansman, this could be a good place to live and work; but it will never change in our lifetime.

In defense of the Libyan people: I do have to say this:  I totally understand that Libya is 30 to 40 years behind the rest of the world and that is not the fault of the people.  It's the fault of not having a democratic government where you can elect a new politician every 4 years.  That way at least you have a chance sometimes of having a good leader.

And before any of you jokesters can joke, I said "have a chance to have a good leader."  LOL

@ adnankprick or usman or whoever you are...

I work wherever there is opportunity along with due consideration for my family's welbeing.

I have worked as an expatriate since 1996 and have lived among people from many different races, colours and religions.

We did not enjoy living in Libya primarily for the reasons stated by several other female forum users - the Neanderthal attitude of Libyan men towards foreign women.

The UAE is also an Arab and muslim culture (and also a dictatorship & police state), but we (and my wife in particular) have never experienced anything like the taunting, insults and generally unacceptable testosterone-charged male attitude as observed in Libya. Fact.

It's because they are jealous and envy of us and they in particular have no right to be so bad to the black Africans and treat them so poorly.  They need to look in the mirror.

And isn't it all just so f****** hypocritical?

The Neanderthals go chasing as much skirt as they like, while if one of their women gets involved with a foreign man, they are subjected to punishments ranging from a jail sentence to (at the extreme) being stoned to death and so-called "honour" killings?

Please someone tell me what is so honourable about family members stabbing a young woman to death because she has associated (and I'm not even talking about having sexual relations) with a male of a different race or religion?

Sea Angel wrote:

no right to be so bad to the black Africans and treat them so poorly.  They need to look in the mirror.

The education system has failed them miserably. North Africa is apparently not attached to the rest of the continent. :lol:

Hmmm...well thanks for all the input folks...I didn't mean to start any disputes...he he...

So then I'm thinking maybe if I take the job then I'll discourage wifey from visiting me in Tripoli...she can just stay with Family at our Point of Origin and we can spend alot of time together during my rotations out.

Why not?...they say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. :0)

Cheers all!

The Dachshundman1

You didn't start anything Dachshundman1, these debates (a nice term) have been going on here for months, mainly between the expat community on this forum, and certain Nationals, or their arab/muslim fundamentalist stooges who view their world through rose-tinted spectacles and expect those of us who live in the real world, to do the same.

Does your prospective employer offer a look-see visit? If so, then bring Mrs D with you and let her make up her mind for herself.

>>>waits for adnankprick to rise to the occasion<<<

Sandman6 wrote:

And isn't it all just so f****** hypocritical?

The Neanderthals go chasing as much skirt as they like, while if one of their women gets involved with a foreign man, they are subjected to punishments ranging from a jail sentence to (at the extreme) being stoned to death and so-called "honour" killings?

Please someone tell me what is so honourable about family members stabbing a young woman to death because she has associated (and I'm not even talking about having sexual relations) with a male of a different race or religion?

This is one of the things I have been trying to say.  Well put.  I know some here that are having affairs.  I thought I was going to be coming to a pure and religous place.  I know -- I'm naive.

Sandman6 wrote:

You didn't start anything Dachshundman1, these debates (a nice term) have been going on here for months, mainly between the expat community on this forum, and certain Nationals, or their arab/muslim fundamentalist stooges who view their world through rose-tinted spectacles and expect those of us who live in the real world, to do the same.

Does your prospective employer offer a look-see visit? If so, then bring Mrs D with you and let her make up her mind for herself.

LMAO re adnankprick  :)

Hey SeaAngel, how long ago did you bring your pets in, and how are they doing?  Besides our three kids, we've got two dogs that will make the move with us.  Any suggestions that you haven't made above already?  Any additional comments or tips about the dogs?  Is having them there normal or does it create additional issues?

dvr2008 honey pie - you're a newbie so I won't flame your arse this time, but try doing a search eh? Pets, dogs etc have been well covered here.

dvr2008 wrote:

Hey SeaAngel, how long ago did you bring your pets in, and how are they doing?  Besides our three kids, we've got two dogs that will make the move with us.  Any suggestions that you haven't made above already?  Any additional comments or tips about the dogs?  Is having them there normal or does it create additional issues?

We have a nice Villa with a large yard.  I do not walk her on the streets.  She is also old.  I was not sure she would make the trip from America, but she did.  I love her and I had to at least try.

The first week she did not eat and was confused, but she has adjusted well and both her and the cat love the new place.  Not sure where you are going to live or what accomadations you'll have, but it should not be a problem.  Most of the locals do not like dogs.  But not a problem for me because she stays at home.

It's expensive though.  The size of dog food that I would by in the States for $10 to $15 is 135.00 LYD a bag.

But they are my kids, so worth it.

Contact Dr. Jalal at [email protected] and he will email you everything you need and contact the airlines.

dachshundman1 wrote:

Hmmm...well thanks for all the input folks...I didn't mean to start any disputes...he he...

So then I'm thinking maybe if I take the job then I'll discourage wifey from visiting me in Tripoli...she can just stay with Family at our Point of Origin and we can spend alot of time together during my rotations out.

Why not?...they say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. :0)

Cheers all!

The Dachshundman1

That's great if you get to do rotations.  How long are you here and how long gone for?

To answer your question, yes...I think I'm pretty lucky in that regard, actually...my rotation is eight (8) weeks in and three (3) weeks out. But, I think my pay package is a little on the low side. But hopefully, three weeks off every two months will keep me from going "bonkers", and all my costs are virtually completely covered while I'm here in Tripoli, so, I'm hoping to pack away alot of "Dineros" for the two years (contract) that I will (likely) be taking here...

I'll likely be working for a contractor who does engineering work for the Waha Oil Company. Are they ok? Do you (or your husband) know anything about them (i.e.: WAHA)?

Does your husband work in the Oil & Gas Sector out there as well?

The only real thing that I'm quite concerned about is that the "camp" really actually DOES look like a "camp". (see the pics that I sent to your personal yahoo account)

N.B.: As I'm sure you can understand, I don't want to mention my potential new company's name, for obvious reasons: that's probably disclosing a liitle too much to the public in a forum base.

Cheers

Johnny, a.k.a.: The Dachshundman1

P.S.: I have to ask this question, because I know alot of Arabs and Muslims don't necessarily like dogs (not all of them, but quite a few): Has anyone heard of the locals doing anything nasty to pet dogs out there? Is there any risk or concern regarding this issue, if you bring your pet dog to Libya?

I thought it prudent to ask the question now, rather than finding out about serious safety problems for my pet after the fact, and by then it's too late...

Johnny Dachshundman1

I was talking to one lady about dogs and she alluded to something to that affect, but I did not ask and we did not get into it.

Unless your dog is running wild away from your house and he is alone, he should be perfectly fine.

dachshundman1 wrote:

To answer your question, yes...I think I'm pretty lucky in that regard, actually...my rotation is eight (8) weeks in and three (3) weeks out. But, I think my pay package is a little on the low side. But hopefully, three weeks off every two months will keep me from going "bonkers", and all my costs are virtually completely covered while I'm here in Tripoli, so, I'm hoping to pack away alot of "Dineros" for the two years (contract) that I will (likely) be taking here...

I'll likely be working for a contractor who does engineering work for the Waha Oil Company. Are they ok? Do you (or your husband) know anything about them (i.e.: WAHA)?

The only real thing that I'm quite concerned about is that the "camp" really actually DOES look like a "camp". (see the pics that I sent to your personal yahoo account)

N.B.: As I'm sure you can understand, I don't want to mention my potential new company's name, for obvious reasons: that's probably disclosing a liitle too much to the public in a forum base.

Cheers

Johnny, a.k.a.: The Dachshundman1

Hmm, I just checked the email and do not see it.  Try again. 

I know some people here who work for construction company and the employees live in a camp where they cook all the meals, etc, for you.  I wonder if it's like that.  If that's the case, since this couple is married, they live off the camp; but I believe they have to pay for their accomadations.

Yes, I understand.

I know some people here who work for construction company and the employees live in a camp where they cook all the meals, etc, for you. I wonder if it's like that. If that's the case, since this couple is married, they live off the camp; but I believe they have to pay for their accomodations.

Yes! I think that's the deal that I've been offered, and frankly I think that sucks because I am married and I'd like to have my wife here with me. So then, if I do bring her, then we will probably have to pay for a place ourselves (to get something decent) if we don't want to stay at the camp (probably because the contract offer they bid to the "Client" only provides for "camp" accommodation only, and the camp is probably not a place for dogs either, and "wives" probably can't stay at the camp either...that's what I meant about "I don't think I'm getting the best pay, or overall package"...

Anyways, I am still composing the mail to your yahoo account, so that's why you've not got it yet.

Johnny Dachshundman1

dachshundman1 wrote:

Has anyone heard of the locals doing anything nasty to pet dogs out there? Is there any risk or concern regarding this issue, if you bring your pet dog to Libya?

Keep em away from the kids

dachshundman1 wrote:

If it is OEA Camp in Janzour, then it's more like a "gated community" than a "camp"

I only wish: the accommodation camp is located as follows:

Our employees are accommodated in our camp located in Benghasier, Tripoli.

And, that's pretty much all that I know...

Dachshundman1

dachshundman1 wrote:

Dachshundman1

Yes, Moel, from the little I saw, it looks like a one-story motel.

dachshundman1 wrote:

Dachshundman1

Were those the only pictures they sent you?  Can you get more of what you will be living in?

Sandman6 wrote:

Sandeater.....did yaa miss me? I tell you something, the reason I didn't get a chance to view the posts was because we (PAK) kicked some British *** in Cricket.....Ohh yea BABY I was so over the moon and I still remember your last post about 23 run game changer. Ehh...Dying to see the embarrasement on your face after you read this. :lol::lol::lol:

But hey nothing personal great contest at the end!

Cheers

Sandman6 wrote:

and certain Nationals, or their arab/muslim fundamentalist stooges who view their world through rose-tinted spectacles and expect those of us who live in the real world, to do the same.

Hey Sandeater I am not a Libyan National If I was I wouldn't be here....whatever with you and your non thinking abilities. All I wannt to say is God Bless your Brains sand eater!

dachshundman1 wrote:

I worked for Waha aka WOO (Waha oil operations) and they are good on the money and they've got a huge building for their workplace it's good.

The company as I've seen is mostly run by the locals in Libya but a very educated management team and alot of Expats there as well....so your not alone!

Cheers!

Sea Angel wrote:

It's because they are jealous and envy of us and they in particular have no right to be so bad to the black Africans and treat them so poorly.  They need to look in the mirror.

Ok, I am not a Libyan National as I've been saying it before, I was born in Libya only....so your comments are not going to the right person. I am just a person who respects a country which has offered me alot and think others should respect in the same way. I do understand there is whole lot of other things not going the right way as you said and I totally respect your views.

Cheers,