Bringing my dog

Am I going to have any issues bringing my dog? Do places that allow dogs have strict breed/weight restrictions?

Your post is a bit ambiguous, can you be more specific? Are you trying to bring your dog to Egypt and wanting to know if places here allow dogs?

I want to bring the dog to Egypt. I want to know if I will have issuses renting a flat because of his size, since he does weigh about 70 lbs. He is also an American bulldog, which is a hated dog in the USA.

no problem to bring your dog here if you have the correct papers....the problem is if your dog requires a lot of exercise as there is no where to go except the crappy gezira club which is full of crusty old timers and badly maintained facilities!!
I am lucky that my dog is small and manages with a few walks a day......if your dog has a flat nose it may have breathing problems in the hot months...so take care as this can result in  death very easily.
Taking an aprtment is no problem with a dog, most landlords understand that pets are part of the deal often....good luck!!

Getting the dog through customs is a long, tedious and expensive business.  You have to make sure that the vet's certificate is very recent i.e. within a day or so of the dog leaving the US.  Customs will make it very difficult anyway and expect a large wad of money to release the dog.  I have heard many stories of the difficulties.  Many Egyptians are nervous of dogs.  You can take them to some clubs perhaps but there are very few places you can let them off the leash to run around.  Dog food is very expensive here.  I have a German Shepherd and we make his food for him rather than buying it.  It is also difficult to find either a reliable vet or a reliable kennel if you  need to put the dog in one whilst you go away.  Good luck.

hello kerun;

most of people here love dogs ; but i recommend you take a flat with a garden to make live easier for you and happier for him ;and dont worry about the breed as its verey well known and populer here;

as i am egyptian and have pets " boxer before and cats now " if you need any info i well be glad to help

suzana

shorouky wrote:

Getting the dog through customs is a long, tedious and expensive business.  You have to make sure that the vet's certificate is very recent i.e. within a day or so of the dog leaving the US.  Customs will make it very difficult anyway and expect a large wad of money to release the dog.  I have heard many stories of the difficulties.  Many Egyptians are nervous of dogs.  You can take them to some clubs perhaps but there are very few places you can let them off the leash to run around.  Dog food is very expensive here.  I have a German Shepherd and we make his food for him rather than buying it.  It is also difficult to find either a reliable vet or a reliable kennel if you  need to put the dog in one whilst you go away.  Good luck.

All true and you must understand you don't even want to consider bring medication for the animal in your shipment or luggage as it could prevent you from entering Egypt if its one of the items not approved and registered for use within Egypt,if its discovered.

we also cook for our dog daily,its a decent size German Shepard.Cost for animal health care here is high compared to the to the us.

I would ask my vet about the use of a rotational de-worming program,and why and the direct relationship to the life cycles of the parasites and the needed drug classes necessary to maintain a proper maintenance program and you should mention Egypt is full of mosquito's.

If you do chose to bring your dog and its allowed access to a garden area and or frequent walks in green areas which are often fertilized using manure's you must consider the real risk due to the chance of exposure to tetanus which is found in high levels in the feces of cattle, horse's and donkey's globally. I highly recommend a booster be giving.

If your dead set on bringing your dog with you open a dialog early with your vet based on the requirements of Egypt.If you will give boosters or yearly stuff early it should be done in fashion to minimize the impact of any testing which may be done or required for entry into Egypt.

This could allow you some time to find a local vet your comfortable with.

Here dogs are every where they roam freely in packs.And the government is forced to use a culling program on a year round basis.The wild dog population was recently reported to contain some possible rabies cases with attacks taking place on people in some villages in certain areas of Egypt.

I also recommend you contact your state or regional us vet for your area early and gather all the available information you can for entry to Egypt prior to making a decision.I would also consider what is required for the return trip to the states.

I can't be of much help with regards to getting the dog in, but the posts above seem very informative!

I also cook for my dog on a daily basis, dog food here is VERY expensive for the decent kind. The egyptian Brand Dog food almost killed my dog, so I won't ever risk going near it again.

As Shorouk mentioned, there are a lot of stray dogs around Egypt. Take care of them, and also make sure that you DO NOT allow your dog to eat ANYTHING off of the street. Poison is regularly laid down to control the stray dog population, and the people laying it down don't care if they kill stray dogs or pets.

If you are moving to the Maadi Digla area, take care. There are more and more cases of dogs being stolen in that area, particularly pure bred "high class" dogs. Breeders in Egypt are getting more and more rambunctious when it comes to taking people's dogs. Don't leave your dog unattended when outside! I have seen too many people lose dogs to breeders who are just looking to make a few extra pennies.

Otherwise best of luck bringing your best friend out here with you, I guarantee whatever the issues are, they will be worth it in the long run!

Oh, also. The Wadi Digla is a fantastic place to take your dog. It costs 5 LE to get in, and you have kilometres of desert that you can let your dog roam in :)

Thank you for the info on dogs, I have lived in Cairo for 5 years and I have my very first puppy who is nearly 3 months old and love her very much. Please can you let me know what you cook for your dog as the decent dog food is so expensive, I paid 80 LE for a small bag of pedigree dry food and the cheaper dog food my puppy will not touch which I don't blame her as its yuck.  I have been giving her rice and milk and some chopped chicken, I would like to give her something more substantial.

Also can you please let me know where Wadi Digla is as there is just no where to take my dog, I rang Azhar park to see if dogs are allowed, the answer was NO, I then enquired at the Fish Gardens, again NO and then the Swiss Club near to where I live as it said it has a lovely big garden and the answer was also was NO.

I look forward to your answer.

Thanks

hello karina;

i use to have a boxer thats why i had to discover a cheap meals; you can buy frozen imported meat " 23 le per k/g he cut it into small pices 'as it take some time to be well done" when almost done add some carrots , marro , rice & salt you can make akillo and put it in the fridge to take from also there is a frozen liver he chops it for you you can fry it in a few second , those you buy from el ataba market or el gamea market in hiliopolice ares or ask an egyption frind to get it for u , if you find it difficult i can help , just let me knew ; as for degla park i will check where is it and get back to you

suzana

Thank you Suzana for your reply it was most helpful, I know where I can buy the frozen meats and going to start feeding my puppy with this, I am sure she will enjoy it and also it will be so much cheaper.  Please if you can let me know where degla park is I would be most grateful.

Karen

@ Karena

The Wadi Digla is a stretch of desert that is behind the Wadi Digla Sports club, just a little past Maadi Digla. If you live in Maadi, it's about a 5-10 min. car ride away.

Although this is an old article, this will give you some valuable information on the Digla, including directions on how to get there. *NOTE* it says there is no fee, but there is now a fee of 5 LE (which may have recently gone up, but certainly no higher than 10).

http://www.seattlepi.com/getaways/090299/vall02.html

Suzanna mentioned to me that she has tried contacting them and was told no dogs. I have never had a problem getting in there with dogs. There are many owners who take their dogs there, so don't worry about that.

Al-Azhar is a different story, it being a private park belonging to the Azhar, it's not surprising that dogs aren't allowed. I'm sure you've noticed that many Egyptians are not Dog friendly!

When it comes to what you should be feeding your animal, take care. Consistency is key, but you want to make sure that she is getting enough nutrients. Do NOT make Rice the basis of her diet, she should be getting more Protein and Veggies than Rice.

My dog's daily diet includes:

Tuna, Mackerel, Beef, Chicken (raw and cooked - I know many people will say do not feed your dog raw meat, however this is what has the highest protein content, and it is what they eat in the wild. I've been feeding Orien raw meat about once a week since he was about 3 months old, and he loves it), lamb, and on occasion beans, as these are also a great source of protein. Like Suzanna said, liver is also good, and you can get liver very cheaply.

When it comes to veggies: lots of greens (peas, broccoli, green beans, etc) carrots, cauliflower. Avoid sweetcorn, their stomachs cannot digest it properly. Also avoid potatoes

DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG ONIONS. THEY CAN BE TOXIC.

Some fruit is also great for dogs, in fact many dog foods made in the U.S. will use Apples as one of their base ingredients. Apples are great for dogs, just do not allow them to eat the seeds. Likewise, pears are good for dogs. Avoid grapes!

I use the above as the main ingredients, then add rice or whole grain pasta to Orien's food. He does not have a weak stomach, so I'm lucky with that! I will usually make a batch big enough to feed him for two days, sometimes three, so that I'm not having to spend hours making his food every day. :)

Also, just to make sure that your dog is getting everything she needs, you can add a vitamin supplement called "Multisenstal," this is what my vet has given me for Orien. It is given daily, just add a couple of drops on top of the food.

Make sure you check with your vet of course, do not take my word as final. But these are just a few tips for you. If you have more questions feel free to ask, I've been living here and dealing with dogs here for quite a while!

Fantastic information, thank you so much, this will be a great help.

We never feed our dog raw meats or uncooked eggs as to many other types of virus or diseases can be passed from humans to animal or vice verse. we use some meat and broth from cooked meats in our dogs food and for cooking his rice instead of water.

Shorouk, thanks for the tip for the rice. I will not be giving her raw meat or eggs but the other foods in Leprachauns post are really helpful.

Of course you can bring your dog though it takes some work knowing about the procedures