Top 5 tips to live in Malaysia

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Malaysia.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Malaysia?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Malaysia!

Thank you in advance :)

1. negotiate your finances well.. note, international schools are exp (45k / yr), cars are exp (100% tax on imported cars), rent can vary from 1500 - 5000 RM a month
2. select a suitable area to live.. you can choose from condo's or landed properties like houses. choose an area which is close to work, avoid traffic and save the environment :). if you have a pet check if the condo's allow pets
3. read threads on the Expat.com for answers to various questions you may have
4. ensure you sort out visa requirements like work permit, dependent permit etc
5. Malaysia has great food, be ready to experiment and travel around the country :)

1 - FRIENDS - If you are going to be working in Malaysia you will have no problem as you will make friends at work.
If you are a trailing spouse like I was, it is important to join as many associations as possible (you can join British/American/Australian Association, Womens Association of Malaysia and classes (I joined a jewellery making class in Sri Hartamas which I really enjoyed and art classes). Mixed martial arts classes are very good in Taman Danau Desa. There are lots of voluntary opportunities working in childrens homes, etc.. Make sure you have one activity to go to every day of the week Mon-Fri when your husband/wife is at work, if you don't do this you could end up feeling isolated or homesick. Number 1 is the most important tip of all, because it is crucial to make friends if you are to have a successful transition to living somewhere new...If you are not prepared to do this, then you may aswel stay where you are already.

2 - TRAVEL - Traffic can be a NIGHTMARE in rush hour. Live AS CLOSE TO WORK AS POSSIBLE, a 15 minute drive in KL with no traffic could take me an hour on a weekday or an hour and 20 mins when it is Ramadan. Choose where you are going to live VERY VERY WISELY !!!

3 - SAFETY - Be careful not to dress too flashy, - expensive jewellery etc.... Don't carry a handbag when out on your own in the day time around the shops. If you follow this advice you will not attract undue attention and will not be a target for bag/jewellery snatchers.
Take extra care when parking in secluded and dark carparks, always park in the woman only designated parking bays in multi storys. If you take public transport be very aware. Do not get in the front seat of a taxi, even if the driver says his back door is not working.

4 - MOSQUITOS/SNAKES - Dengue fever - you do not want to catch this, take precautions to cover your arms and legs with long clothing and spray with insect repellant. If you live in a house like I did be on your guard for snakes, we had a large number of baby cobras in our garden.

5 - INTERACT WITH THE LOCAL PEOPLE - Take the opportunity to broaden your outlook by getting to know people of a different ethnicity and culture than yourself.  Take the time to get to know the local people, Malyasians are lovely people, don't segregate yourself with just people of the same nationality as yourself.  Familiarise yourself with local customs and be respectful to their ways, if you are brave enough learn the language ! Don't be offended by intrusive questions or blunt observations I have found that this seems to be acceptable in a couple of places that I have lived in Asia.

If you follow my 5 tips you should not go far wrong, and should have a fabulous time in Malaysia !!!

**1] First of all  must learn to speak in malay.[malay is main language here]
    a] no one want to work in english at many  government office ..
    b] sometime you are going mixed with local communities ,,they don't see
        difference from you..or skin they want to speak  in malay.
    c] some cases are very easy to process  here but you may get delaying it
        because of your english...

2]Some time you do mistakes your own to others ,but don't try to say
    sorry
     for locals...if you want to say sorry it may cause to big issue..[sometimes]

3]Don't try to depend on public transport system..buy a car your own..         
      a] it is the way to save your time and money..

4]If you wan't to rent an apartment ,rent it with furniture.,,
     a] furnitures are cost here here..and you lost your time and money if you
       buy it your own.

5] think every time about your security...don't let your children alone..
        at night., ladies don't travel unnecessary in street..

To get citizenship as a Sri Lankan

1. Obtain superpowers is x-men like power
2. Use your superpowers to overcome fact you have no chance

The chance of all that is negative!

Or be a billionaire. That helps.

My top 5 are simple.

1. Earn 12k min plus 3k for spouse plus 5k per kid to survive.
2. You will need a car.
3. You will learn to drink less alcohol as it is so expensive (if you don't then lucky you)
4. Malaysians in kl speak good English so just chat away!
5. You will go mad if you expect western standards of service. Food at restaurants (expensive ones) is just dumped on your table in any random order. Deal with it don't complain. Complaining never works. Basically accept it is third world mentality

perfect advices !  :)