Cost of private school education for a local

Hi MAGZ,

I know this is a really late reply (I stumbled upon this thread just now) but I can't help but say something here as I grew up in Moncada, Tarlac and I am familiar with Carthel Science Educational Foundation (located in San Manuel, Tarlac). I am pretty sure this is the location your helper is talking about.

I do not have the exact cost of education at Carthel, but I am pretty sure it is one of the more low-cost colleges around the area. (USD 600/approx. PHP 30k) should be MORE THAN ENOUGH to cover 1 semester  of school fees. Of course, that does not include the daily allowance, fare, etc. My cousins studied BS Nursing there and even on their last year with OJT included, each of them did not exceed ($800) in school fees per semester. If the child, however, asks for school fees ranging from PHP 50K and above per semester, then he/she must be wanting to attend an expensive university, or something of that sort.

I suggest that if you are to continue sponsoring the child's education, you should try to get all details, including the cost of study, from the school directly. If they ask for monetary help regarding illnesses/death, ask for a death certificate or a medical certificate, whichever applies. You may also contact the hospitals to confirm if a memeber of her family was really hospitalized. Contact numbers are easy to find on Google as long as you know the name of the hospital.

Also, Moncada is NOT a 1-hour travel from Angeles City. Via a private car, that should take 2.5-3 hours. Carthel is NOT in Manila--it's in a really small town and there are no boarding houses around the immediate vicinity of the school.

I do not know what your helper and her family are up to, but if she could not even tell you simple details such as locations, I am not sure if she is being entirely honest with you. I am not one to judge, but there are just too many fishy details from what I have read, sadly.

Good luck and I commend you for being very kind-hearted employers.

This my cost for my 4 yr old to attend a priviate school here in Angeles City. School is Westfield International.

This year pre-kinder with bus service around 110,000.00 pesos. Paid for one year at a time which is 20% discount. Class is 3 hours with 16 kids in the room. This is where you want to be very cafeful here in the Philippines. CLASS SIZE....

I have next years costing sheet in front of me now and for a Kinder student it will be 91,282.00 pesos if paid for in full prior to Dec. 17th. This does not include transportation, 20,000 plus and a few extras that will cost 10,000.00

To get a feel for Westfields upper leval grades just go to their web-site.

Mark

This my cost for my 4 yr old to attend a priviate school here in Angeles City. School is Westfield International.

This year pre-kinder with bus service around 110,000.00 pesos. Paid for one year at a time which is 20% discount. Class is 3 hours with 16 kids in the room. This is where you want to be very cafeful here in the Philippines. CLASS SIZE....

I have next years costing sheet in front of me now and for a Kinder student it will be 91,282.00 pesos if paid for in full prior to Dec. 17th. This does not include transportation, 20,000 plus and a few extras that will cost 10,000.00

To get a feel for Westfields upper leval grades just go to their web-site.

Mark

Good reply Mark. I would add get official receipts from the school to make sure you are not being scammed. Not you, the original poster.

Dear DirRobCenteal,

Your message shows that you know a lot about education in the Philippines.
If it would not be too much trouble I would like to ask for your help.

I'm moving to Makati next March (2018) with my wife and two kids; 4 and 8.

Is there any international school that you know and can recommend for my children?

I really appreciate your time and answer in advance.

Kind Regards,

Gab

Hello everyone,

Please note that we have put aside some posts (one of them being doubtful/fishy).

All the best,
Bhavna

if you really want to help her, stop giving her any extras, just pay her the regular salary. she is the slave of her extended family. and she is not going to change it.

Thank you and God Bless you Bhavna,
I Am an American who has spent many visits to the Philippines..
I have forms the people to be very friendly and the culture to be very loving towards the family.
My Fiancé Donna lives in Hensan City and I  am Experiencing the Jigh Cost of Education in the Philippines as I just Osid for a Semester of Tuition Books and everything wasn't Cheap. A Good education in today's world is a Must! I am Proud that My Love Donna Will have her degree in Business Management in only Two More Semesters!
I am Cery Proud of Her!
I have Traveled the World being a Career US Navy Man and Found the Women of the Philippines to be Very Special as they Nond the Family Together as God intends Every Family to Live...
Most people that I have met have been decent from the Philippines and that is directly because of the family units. In Cultural ways.
I am Living in New Jersey And am in School Myself, Diesel Mechanic School And I Must day No College Education is inexpensive Anywhere!
May God Bless all of the people of the Philippines 🇵🇭.
I am to become One of you soon and I look forward to being with the love of my life
Sincerely
Marty
The Lion

:cool:

I'm preparing to sponsor someone near Manila as well.  My research shows about $500-$1000 for a private education which is consistent with most of your replies. 

My friendly advice is this.  I ran my US based business from Manila in 2010. I had about 12 employees.  I sat them all down on day 1 of training and explicitly said,  Please don't ask me for loans or advances.  I will tell you now that the answer will always be no.  I can't describe how frequently I repeated this.  With that said, I was constantly being asked for money!

I dated a girl from a very poor family at one point.  I traveled to her home.  They lived in a 10'x10' home.  They had a ladder to the upstairs.  5 people slept on a mat. No running water.  Toilet was in the shower, maybe 3'x3' or smaller.  It's quite surreal.  At the time we met, only the girl I dated was working.  Her $7 supported her entire family.  Her parents were healthy and fully capable of work.  When I suggested we needed to get her Dad working, my suggestion seemed inappropriate.  Her mom became a cleaning lady at one point.  I was very happy to hear that.  But they described it to me as bad news. 
My point is that at the lowest financial level, it seems like worth ethnic is a 4 letter word.  You will be supporting the entire neighborhood soon.
I once brought her dad a 24 pack of beer.  It was gone the same day. 

I'm actually planning on sponsoring one of the family I met years ago who is now in high school.  My GOAL would be to get her in a boarding situation near by her home.  Boarding appears to be about $150 extra a month.  It's very hard to comprehend how they live without seeing it first hand.  If I succeed in getting her educated, she will likely support 15 people... if I were to guess. 
Good luck. Don't be afraid to be firm.  They will take anything you offer and ask for a little more.  It's the culture.