Moving to England in 2011

Hello there,

My name is Martijn and I will be moving to Leicester in August 2011.

My girlfriend is a british citizen finishing her university degree in Leicester, I'm an IT professional with over 10 years of experience under my belt.

I've found most of the information I need through the internet and various government websites, however this is just the theory and it leaves me with a couple of practical questions which I hope some of you might be able to answer.

The job situation
I'm currently employed with the dutch mental healthcare institute where I manage all aspects of their internal technical support (Windows/Citrix based network)
I have extensive experience in the field of customer support, technical support and helpdesk/call centre management.

I have several references and written recommendations but all from dutch employers, will these have any added value in England? (obviously I will have them translated and signed)

I would prefer to start applying for jobs while still in the Netherlands, does anyone have any experience with applying for jobs while not in England (yet)?

Would taking the TOEFL test have any added value when it comes to applying for jobs?
(I studied English for three years on bachelor level before starting my degree in IT/Human computer interaction)

The housing situation
We intend to rent a house or appartment in Leicester, however I have a lovely prize-winning Maine Coon cat I would like to bring. This cat doesn't go outside and has had his claws trimmed regularly since he was just a kitten. Does anyone have experience with finding housing that allows for pets (I don't mind paying a little extra)

The car/bike situation
I own a car and a motorbike, I would sell my car and buy another once I get to England however I would like to bring my motorcycle (since the whole left-hand/right-hand drive thing doesn't apply here). I know it will have to be adapted before I can get it registered in England (headlight adjustments)
Does anyone have experience with this who could point out pitfalls or hidden costs?

Any information regarding these questions or any other tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Martijn van der Steen

technical support (Windows/Citrix based network) I have extensive experience in the field of customer support, technical support and helpdesk/call centre management.

The IT market still seems fairly healthy in the UK.  You should be all right.

I have several references and written recommendations but all from dutch employers, will these have any added value in England? (obviously I will have them translated and signed)

It certainly doesn't hurt, although I think most employers (if they check references) will want a phone number and a live person on the other end (who speaks at least some English).  I'd actually think the written references would be more useful for quickly establishing a bank account, mobile phone contract, securing a rental lease, etc.  The more signed, official-looking professional documentation the better.

I would prefer to start applying for jobs while still in the Netherlands, does anyone have any experience with applying for jobs while not in England (yet)?

I was able to get a job through Monster.co.uk from the States.  Make it clear, high up on your resume, that you are permitted to work anywhere in the EU as a citizen of the Netherlands.  (I assume that's the case...?)

Would taking the TOEFL test have any added value when it comes to applying for jobs?

I doubt it...that test is pretty expensive, isn't it?  It's much more likely that a well-written, grammatically and syntactically correct resume will encourage the employer to assume that if you have demonstrable proficiency in written English, you can likely speak it as well.  In any case, the initial 30-min phone screening will thoroughly establish that for the employer much better than any test results would.  I actually think mentioning the test can hurt, because it creates the concern that maybe the applicant had some genuine communication problems which were possibly only passed on the third or fourth attempt.

Does anyone have experience with finding housing that allows for pets (I don't mind paying a little extra)

Many of my friends and neighbors have cats & dogs in their rented homes...I think it's pretty common.

I would like to bring my motorcycle...I know it will have to be adapted before I can get it registered in England (headlight adjustments) Does anyone have experience with this who could point out pitfalls or hidden costs?

Good question...it can cost up to a thousand pounds for a large vehicle...I'd hope a motorcycle would only be £300 or so.  You can get this done by people who perform MOTs, and also those who work at the SVA check-stations.  There is a certain advantage in simply taking the unmodified vehicle to the SVA assessment, where it will be rejected by a mechanic who will know exactly what they need to change in order to make it pass the test; hire them to make the changes; and then they pass the vehicle, since they trust their own work.  Kind of a scam, but it gets you through in one pass.

Thank you for your answers mzieg.

I'm glad to hear that it is possible to apply for jobs before I actually move.
As a dutch national and EU citizen I am allowed to work anywhere within the EU so that part is covered.

About the motorcycle, I will definately bring it to England in an unmodified state (since I'll be able to keep it insured with my dutch insurance company for 3 months after leaving the Netherlands)
I guess I'll just see if it's worth it when I get there, the boat fares between NL and UK aren't that bad so I can always take it back to the Netherlands and sell it if it turns out to be too expensive.

Good tip about the TOEFL test, I hadn't even considered that train of thought.

My written recommendations will all come with contact information so that should be good as well, it's just that I read so much online about people not actually using/checking foreign references. I sure hope they do.

more information is always welcome and even though it isn't listed as a city/area on this site I would love to get in touch with people living in the leicester/leicestershire area.

Hi
May be worth registering with a recruitment agency who would do the job searches ,paper work ,etc for you -certainly takes the stress off .
They sometimes pass you other useful information such as where to find suitable accommodation .
Check websites for jobs in places like Hertfordshire or London -better paying jobs ,better quality of life than in Leicester .