Is going to UK a good idea ?

Hey,

I'm French, my boyfriend's australian, and since my visa is running out in Australia, we'd be thinking of going to UK for a while (since getting married for inmmigration seems a bit unsure). We're thinking of going there somewhere between May and August. Maybe.

Important Questions :
1- How is the job market in UK ? Is there any chance to find a job quickly as it used to be before the Gobal Financial Crisis or has it become impossible ?
2- Where should we go ? Is London Ok or has it been flooded out by job seekers ? Where else could be a good place to go ? (not being uge city fans, we'd rather stay in small to mid-sized towns/cities)

Additional Questions :
3- How much money would it be wise to leave with ? (with average to low spending habits)
4- Should we instead try to get married and stay in Oz ? (but i'm not sure if i would be granted a visa - we're a bit short in "proofs of genuine and commited relationship")

Thank you for any answer, i just want to make the right choice.
(given the state of our bank accounts, it's either uk or mariage, with no second chance if one of them fails) (so its a bit stress-ful right now) (and any bit of help/information would be awesome)

l3ene

Welcome on Expat-blog!

I have moved the thread on the England forum in english version.
About the job market in UK, you can have a look at the Work in UK guide.
I hope another member will be able to help you more.

Good luck
Christine

Hi l3ene

Wow this is a difficult one but here goes.

I am assuming you are both living in Australia at the present time.  First of all is it possible to renew your Viza for Australia?  If so this would give you more time to make a decision as to what you wanted.

Remember the grass can always seem greener on the other side.  Would it not be possible to come to the UK for a holiday?  This way you could both see if you liked the way of life, and travel a little to see different parts of the country as to where you may like to settle.

Work is always difficult, but with good skills and motivation I feel sure you would have no trouble in getting a job.  Lots of agencies employ temporary staff to cover sick leave, holidaYS ETC.,

I imagine your boyfriend would need a work permit but if you are still a French citizen I imagine you would not, but something you should check.

As for money.  I think you should both make sure you have enough each to pout into an account so that if things do not turn out, or you feel homesick, you have enough for a fare back home.

Cost of living I would guess (having spent lots of time in Tasmania) is about the same for food.  (I found your supermarket bread very expensive at £3.50 a loaf) but washing powder about half the price it is here.  Accommodatoin can be expensive.  London in particular.  To rent say a 3 bed semi house outside London say where I live is about £675 a month upwards.

It would be wrong to marry for the wrong reasons, and why not enjoy each other's company and friendship and if you really love each other you will know and want to make that commitment.  You will know if and when the time is right.

Why not take a year's working holiday over here? (Don't forget to enquire about permits to work) Try it out.  You have nothing to lose as you can always go back and who knows.

Whatever you decide best of luck and do let me know how things work out.

Tassielass

Do you have family in France? If so, why not come back to France and look for work in the UK from there? The economic situation right now in the UK is not great. A lot of unemployment, although the economy seems to have turned back towards the road to recovery.

Finding employment is going to be related to what you do for a living.

If you are French you can come over and work no problem - your boyfriend, as an Aussie, I believe also has certain advantages - but you should google "immigration to the UK" for better info!