Appliances

Does anyone know where I can get a dishwasher in the Jarabacoa, La Vega or Santiago area?

Also,  does anyone know of a dog/cat opthomologist on the island?

Thanks

Lots of places in Santiago for dishwashers and good Ophthalmologist  can certainly be found at HOMS hospital/medical office building in Santiago as well

Bob K

I knew you or Planner would know.  Thanks!

Do you happen to know the name of one or 2 of the places and also the opthomologist, is that for humans or pets?  My poor Bella (my boxer) is having issues again and the local vet, or should I say quack says it is worms when I darn well know that is not the case.

Places for dishwasher are Pricemart, Plaza Lamma, Ochoa , Balleon (sp)

Doc for humans.  Can't help on the vet thing

Bob K

THANKS!!!!  :)

Plaza Lana in Santiago is quite competitive on prices.....

Thank you.  :)

You are welcome and good luck shopping!

Bob K

Shopping can be fun....LOL   Remember if you are paying with a credit card the rules sometimes change - ask!   Many many places pay a huge fee for credit cards.  Cash is king here, and prices are negotiable for cash!

That is a good point on the Credit card thing.  Yes always negotiate a price on big ticket items.

Bob K

Thanks for the reminder.  We did not know that when we purchased our fridge and stove and were shocked when we saw the receipt.  They told us after the fact and by that time it was too late.  Amazing all the differences in purchases between here and the U.S.

Its best to  ask a lot of questions here about everything.  It seems very little is like "back home" no matter where that is....

Many times it is cheaper to buy on line and pay to ship here including the taxes and charges.  I am shipping a BBQ from the states for about $400 total,. Here the same unit is north of $700.

Bob K

Yes always good to compare.  Some things are worth it and some are not. Remember the differences in use here though. For example you would not want an electric stove here where electricity is very expensive and Propane is cheap.....

Very true both of you.  Bob,  may I ask who you are using to ship the BBQ.

Very true both of you.  Bob,  may I ask who you are using to ship the BBQ.

If you don't mind buying used (in excellent condition) equiptment,  ther are severa used dealers around.  Most is of restaurant quality & a lot of residential stuff.  Outside of Santiago are several & there are 2 in Puerta Plata.  Gary from Spankys bar in Sosua, knows them all.  He loves taking people around to find & buy stuff.  hHe3 is a master scrounger,  just out some gas in his vehicle & likes a cold one now & then. I've bought many things using his help.   Spankys is an ex-pat hang out with many knowledgable (sp)  patrons willing to share what they know.   Larry, the bartender is a super guy.  Say hello for me.

Thanks gypsy401 for the tip.

I ship with Encargo Pac with offices all over and one here in Sosua as well.

Bob K