Am I in the right place?

As I am new to expat-blog please, let me preface this by kindly asking that somebody please "point me" to the correct forum if necessary if I am in the wrong one.

A quick profile:

I am 56 and hoping to retire in the next 3 to five years, my wife is 66, retired, but working part time. We are both Canadian citizens and live in Canada. We are hoping to purchase a very modest home in NZ to live in 5 or 6 months between November and April, and let it out for the other 6 months while we return to Canada.

I lived for 4 years in NZ as a child in Northland during the early 1960's. I have 2 younger sisters (1 now deceased)that were born while we were there and have/had dual New Zealand / Canadian citizenships. Unfortunately I am not that lucky,as my parents saw fit at the time to have myself and other sister travel on their passports rather than obtain the same for us. Although we would love to become NZ citizens, sadly our ages are against us and I neither have the necessary qualifications to secure full time employment for skills that are in demand, nor a couple of million in savings in a bank account.

Without getting into the details of what we do have in this first post,I am hoping to have answered, some specific questions regarding "laying the groundwork" for a possible scenario similar to the above paragraph.

Any helpful suggestions and feedback would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

Hello Rob, welcome to Expat.com!
There is an interesting page on buying a property in the Guide for life in New Zealand with useful links. I'd suggest also that you browse the forum in search of useful information on the country.
Hope this helps!
Arlette

Arlette,

Thanks for the welcome. I have since spent a couple of hours "mining" some of the links, and have added a few already to my favourites. There is a wealth of info on this site!

Rob