Questions, questions?...

My family is moving to nz, Palmerston north area in January. There are four of us, my husband, two children, 6 and 8, and me. What should we bring from home that may not be available to us there. Any information would be helpful. Should we ship a car or buy one there?
We love an adventure and the comforts of home. All information, experiences, advice is welcome!
Thank you.

Hi Shan924!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

It's a big question about what you should bring. 

Some people (including me) move their whole house and car, only to discover NZ is not for them.  But it can cost twice as much to ship it all back again so many resort to selling everything off and getting very little in the way of resale value.

As for the car, leave it in storage... just in case.....and travel as light as you can. 

Good luck. :)

Thank you for the feedback. Is it true about the grocery not having variety? I love to cook with fresh ingredients. Any experience with children's education?

There is a large variety of fresh vegetables and grocery items. A lot more than where I come from. And the education is one of the best in the world.

We brought all our furniture with, but not our vehicles and no white wear and no beds. you can find everything you need in New Zealand.

We moved 10 years ago, we packed all we could into a 20ft contianer (fridge, w/m, mower; everything). Except the car which are plentiful here and reasonably priced.  We found it easier to close the dorr behind us, going back was not an option.  Its a big move and requires 100% commitment.  It's a great place to bring up kids, we love it OK it's got it's problems what country hasn't.  Graham

Everything is subjective.  I have much less of a choice compared to supermarkets in the UK, and I know the UK supermarkets had far less of a range compared to the ones I visited in Florida.  The high cost of living also plays a part on what you can afford to buy, not just food, but for most things.

Some vegetables lack a nutrient (I think it is selenium, I could be wrong) due to soil deficiency in NZ, but you can balance this by eating other things.  I still think it unfair you can buy NZ lamb cheaper in the UK than here. No idea about America.

But rather than get into a he says she says situation, I am happy to forward you information so you can check out everything that can be bought in the supermarkets here.  That way you can do your own comparison.

As far as education goes, from the research I have done, many immigrants (again depending on which country you are from) report their children are quite advanced when they arrive, and have to play catch up when they return.  Sport is high on the curriculum in NZ schools.

NZ has a lot to offer many people and has spectacular scenery...although not unique. No matter which country people move to, it is important to do as much research as possible before fully committing.

Depending on your voltage and plug formation on your appliances, or really anything you plug in, don't bring it if its not to NZ standards.

Nashville, USA? Don't bring the car since the steering wheel and dash will need to be reversed and if it's a big car, seriously don't bring it since roundabouts might be a problem.

Schools, in most cases, are fine. Your grocery selection and farmers markets are sufficient and you may find a desire to plant your own family garden even. If you like Ikea, stock up on your fancies because there isn't much in the way of decent affordable household goods. I've been here for 8 months and still suffer from sticker shock. If you like clothes that are not navy, grey or black, stock up on those too.

If your kids like poptarts, bring 'em. Kraft mac and cheese too. If you are settling in Auckland, there is an "American" grocery store you can shop at for those comfort foods you might sometimes miss. Also, if you have a favorite mexican restaurant or pizza place, eat there until you can't take it anymore.

Fret not though, you and your family will adapt. There's plenty to fall in love with here, you'll just have a bit of withdraw to work through.

Best wishes.

Thank you all! What good info! In fact I wondered about Mexican food... Nashville, USA is right and we will be happy to leave pop tarts but will bring Mac n cheese. We will be closer to Wellington area in Palmerston north.  Thanks again!

Check with your shipping company and NZ receiving company about how much mac and cheese can be brought and how best to contain it, you'll have to claim it whether you ship it or bring it in luggage. Also, things like christmas decorations will be under tight scrutiny. Shells (even decorative), hiking boots, anything that may potentially be hazardous to the environment here needs declaration and should be cleaned thoroughly. Shipping companies will fumigate freight upon request or NZ will mandate your items to be fumigated. Use your clothes as packing stuffing instead of paper or bubble wrap and label and number your boxes (keep this list handy) in case immigration wants to open a box to check something out.

Happy packing.

Thanks for the info on packing. We are not that far into the process of getting ready so I had no idea about the requirements.

Keep us posted on your move, especially how the kids are liking school.  My son is around the same age and that's my biggest concern about relocating around the world. 
Good luck!:)

We are starting the packing and culling process. Since we cannot start the visa application process for another six weeks we are slowly moving forward. The girls are really excited about lots of adventures. I will keep you posted.

Hi

For me ... the one thing I miss that I thought would be available here is a bean bag (microwave), here they have hot water bottles and heathers etc... but I soooooo miss my microwave bean bag!

We never brought over any furniture...
Although I missed those fimaliar furniture - I now know that it was the best thing i could've done as EG my fridge would never have fit in any of the homes i'm renting or have rented. Not even my lounge set would've fit. So, unless you know the size of the place where you are going to stay and that your furniture are gonna fit.
I have had to downscale from a queen bed to a double bed due to space.

Rather leave them behind then to have it travel all the way and you have to put it in storage in international waters.

Just my 5cents

Good Luck with your move ....

Thanks so much. We will only know temporary housing dimensions upon arrival. I am thinking that we will bring clothes, shoes, personal items. I think travel light is the key for the next year or two. We are going to rent a furnished home and buy a used car there and will not have to rush as we will have one provided for a little while.  My children are young enough to be adaptable so here we come! Great adventures! So now I would love to know about weekend excursions from the Palmerston north area...  Thanks y'all, said with my thickest Tennessee accent!