Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

Emigrating to NZ? I've been here 9 years and want to help

Hi I'm all I'm Anil, My family and I moved out to Auckland over 9 Years ago from the UK.
I won't lie it's been hard work being out here with no family support but it's been a fantastic experience and both my wife and I feel we have grown exponentially as individuals compared to the people we were in the UK.

The reason why I've joined this and other forums is to share my experience and help anybody out there who is in the process of emigrating or have recently done so or even just thinking about it. As a start I would like to encourage you at whatever stage you are at the moment, to let me know what are the top 3 things you need help and advice with at the moment, and I will endeavor to assist, no matter how trivial you think it is. Believe me I didn't even know where to get a hammer from when I arrived and had to ask someone.

Best of luck to you all and I look forward to assisting you.

Anil

Hi Anil,

I recently moved to Albany, Auckland, what would you suggest are the best ways to get part time work for international students? Thanks, Josephine

Hey Josephine how are you, can I ask what sort of work you are envisioning yourself doing? Where and what are you studying and how far can you travel?

Reason I'm asking all this is so I can point you in the right direction for what you want

Kind regards
Anil

Hi Anil,

I was interested to see your post and thought I'd "pick your brains" if you don't mind.

I was born in Rotorua NZ, I have a NZ passport. Finally after 40 years living in Scotland my wife and kids have decided they would like to move to North Island NZ and see how we all get on there.

My job background for the past 25 years has been in Oil and Gas industry. My main role being as an Offshore Pedestal Crane Operator. The Past 10 years I have also been working as a Trainer and Assessor of crane operators and personnel involved in Lifting Operations. I have UK based certificates so my first question is:

1: Do you know if it is it a long drawn out process to have my Certificates/ Qualifications checked to see if they are transferrable to NZ qualifications?

2:If I am struggling to find a job in my line of work would I be able to apply for casual work as something like a Courier driver or postie etc on my UK driving license to have some income coming in?

3: We have a pet dog ( West Highland Terrier) - he has had Rabies vaccination and we are going through the process with our vet of all tests/checks he needs for Quarantine rules. We were hoping to rent out our house here and rent a house in NZ for up to a year then decide wether or not to sell up in UK. From searches online I don't see many rental houses that will let you have a dog?
Can you recommend any websites I could look at for Rental Properties please.

Kind Regards,
David

Hi Anil, I got an offer to study in Canterbury university for bachelors in science forestry in 2019 session but I am a little worried about the news of student scams and not giving them PR  or work opportunities as promised. My intention is PR, i am not ashamed to admit that. Is it true that companies in NZ are warned not to hire international students even though they say that they will? I know it all depends on the individual skills and what not but I'd like to know whether NZ is taking the same path as UK by making it harder for international students to get full time work in their line of studies.
Hope to hear from you

Hi David, thank you very much for forwarding your questions to me and I appreciate the effort you've put in, I'm no expert but below i've tried to answer your questions with the knowledge I have, I hope you find them useful, please let me know either way.

Here goes:

1: Do you know if it is it a long drawn out process to have my Certificates/ Qualifications checked to see if they are transferrable to NZ qualifications?

I've done a little digging around it looks like for formal qualification the NZQA take around 35 days

I've done a little digging around for you and found these sites may be of use to you:
http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualifications- … fications/
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/formshe … ifications

2:If I am struggling to find a job in my line of work would I be able to apply for casual work as something like a Courier driver or postie etc on my UK driving license to have some income coming in?
Absolutely you can, with UK licence you can pop into any branch of the AA which are dotted about everywhere and can apply for an NZ licence, you don't even need to complete any tests anymore. You just fill in the form and in a couple of weeks you'll have a an NZ licence.:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-licence … r-licence/

3: We have a pet dog ( West Highland Terrier) - he has had Rabies vaccination and we are going through the process with our vet of all tests/checks he needs for Quarantine rules. We were hoping to rent out our house here and rent a house in NZ for up to a year then decide wether or not to sell up in UK. From searches online I don't see many rental houses that will let you have a dog?
Can you recommend any websites I could look at for Rental Properties please.

My suggestion for this is to just search "letting Agents" for Rotorua or wherever you are planning to move to and then email agents and register with them, i'd start with the bigger agents first such as Harcourts, Ray White and Barfoot and Thompson,

Hope that helps

Hey there, NZ is very multinational and cosmopolitan, i've found since i've been here employers here focus more on team fit and attitude more than qualifications and experience. That's not to say you can go for jobs you have no skill in you need the basic skills.
One thing I have noticed is that the job market is very slow, it takes me between 4-8 weeks to get a job here.

Hi Anil,

Thanks very much for your effort and reply.

I have been looking at the Bay Of Plenty but somewhere around Tauranga as my daughter has seen a good course she wants to attend at College there, will hopefully be job opportunities there for my wife and son and I and also I have fond memories of day trips there to  "The Mount".

I'll search those sites you sent me links for and hopefully things will become a bit clearer.

Thanks again,
David

Thanks man. I'll keep an eye out for the job sector. I was very confident in the studies because of its demand in the long term skills list, which I've been checking every day just to make sure I land in the position I'm intending to.
If you have any advice for a student like me, it will be highly appreciated.

Expatriate health insurance in New Zealand

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in New Zealand

Moving to New Zealand

Find tips from professionals about moving to New Zealand

Travel insurance in New Zealand

Enjoy stress-free travel to New Zealand

Flights to New Zealand

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to New Zealand