Need help with salary problem-Edex

Hello everyone                                                                                         

I am new to this forum, so I apologise if this topic has already been discussed.

I signed a contract with Edex- London  and paid a deposit for the visa. After weeks of waiting for the visa, Edex in Saudi got in touch with me but with a new contract (lower salary). Can anyone please advise me?

sign it, or ask for your deposit back (which you prolly wont get) and search more before you sign with a company about their history

its possible the contract is lower because they lost a contract (for males) at a huge uni. do you have any negotiating tools - your experience, special skill, etc -

if they are coming here....most likely not.

are you suggesting that only inexperienced people make it to saudi ? if so, I'm the first one to "disprove" your skewed theory

by majority? Not necessarily inexperienced, but unless you are muslim....it is not the best tick on your resume

No,I'm a British female. I have a BA and postgraduate degree unrelated and 2 years experience pre CELTA.

ahh so still new.  since you said 2 years pre celta id assume you didnt do those two years in south korea like everyone else?

I know now about Edex's reputation. I think I misunderstood you freshlikeshushi. Did you mean that their hiring budget is smaller?

everyone is cheap here,  take the contract or ask for more.  id go somewhere else

I want to ask for my deposit back (probably won't get it) but at the same time.... They say my visa is ready and If I go with another company I have to start all over again:(

you wont get it. 

another reason why you dont pay for your own visa. i didnt (though im not a teacher :P)

I applied for another company SBC. The salary is the same. I just want to know if it's a low ball offer. I talked to Edex in London but they said head office makes final decision.

you just have to keep pushing.

it took me 1.5 months to negotiate the salary i wanted

You are right. I want to try to negotiate with Edex in Saudi, to at least say something instead of meekly accepting it. I'm worried that it might make them withdraw offer but they gave me no choice. I was ready and then this new contract just got sprung out of nowhere.

its typical of companies here.
they tried it to me when i got here.  I came here not really HAVING to, so i have alot more leeway than others who need to.  I told them fix it or they can pay for my ticket home

what is a low ball offer?

and yeah true on the Muslim thing Sushi - definitely why I am here alhamdulillah

Rareshine- by low ball offer I meant an offer that is too ridiculous to consider even moving to Saudi. I don't want to arrive there and find out that I settled for a stupid offer.

Freshlikesushi- my experience was in England in a small language school. I want to work in Saudi specifically PNU because I have got friends there.

Freshlikesushi- thank you for your advice. I like you, that sounds like something I would have done loool it's so sad that companies do this. It makes me a little bit scared before I even arrived in Saudi.

Ummmm are you on facebook?
i can get you in touch with a female that works at PNU

desert blue wrote:

Freshlikesushi- thank you for your advice. I like you, that sounds like something I would have done loool it's so sad that companies do this. It makes me a little bit scared before I even arrived in Saudi.

this is only the tip

this entire country is so frustrating. took me literally 4 hours to do something i could do in 45 minutes in the states because of traffic and prayer closings (dont even get me started on this bs)