Guayaquil might be my new home

Hi there all,

Well, I'm seriously looking at moving to Guayaquil, and that is because of where my girlfriend currently lives. As we speak, I am here now on an holiday to see her, and a fact finding mission.

I'm from Sydney, Australia, and just recently lost my job in the printing Industry, thanks due to the print industry dying in the arse in Australia, my previous employer had to put off three workers just over a month ago, I was one of them. No loyalty after 10 years service when your company is broke, that's just how it works.

Anyway, maybe it was meant to be, as I'm still only 31, my gf who is local Ecuadorian is 28.

We want to nip the long distance thing in the butt, and be together properly, so we can action all the plans we have made, the plan was originally for her to come to Australia, but that now seems masked by so much red tape, she can't even come holiday without applying for visas etc, which is rediculous considering as a aussie, I can come come to ecuador without visa for holidays up to 90 days a year no probs.  But An Ecuadorian trying to get a holiday visa, they have totally unfair rules about criteria, coming from a poor country (To so called aussie standard, not my words, thats aussie immigration) proving that they have suffient funds if they are on a tourist visa because they cant work etc etc, yet the Australian government tries to proclaim it is not racist...
And even though Marriage is on the cards, it still doesn't warrant her an automatic Aussie visa. A possible temporary one maybe, until after 2 years after marriage. And then, having proved to aussie immigration that it is 100percent legit after that time, they "might" grant a permanent visa.

What a joke.

So with the things aligning, Guayaquil might be my new home. It seems the best logical step to starting a family with my girl down the track,
But because it is a change in plans, and I am struggling with my spanish, All the hints I can get, for what I'd have to do to relocate, be allowed to stay, and of course employment, cant start a family in a new country as the bread winner if I can't get a job, and if I'm starting a family, I couldn't expect my future wife, to work when we got to the point of her being pregnant, lol.

Couldn't just settle for a plain jane aussie after all, the things we do for that special one :)

Cheers,
James

Cheers.  :)

If you go to Ecuador on a tourist visa with the intentions if marrying your Ecuadoran lady and acquiring a residency visa, you will have to supply all the same documents any other visa applicant would have to submit.

From your home country all documents must be notarized and apostilled - birth certificate, police report dated no more than 90 days in advance of visa application, etc.

You could save yourself a later round trip back to Oz by having these documents in hand when you arrive. And yes, it's a huge PITA.

You should look into the visa details carefully before making the [first] trip.

(and things are nipped in the bud, not in the butt  :happy: )

Awesome, First reply.

Thats what I was meaning by the difference just in the tourist visas alone, I didn't even need one to come here for holidays, as opposed to her wanting to come to Australia, I can understand the logic, but at the same time, it's still double standards on behalf of Australia, but that's aside from the point, haha.

I know I would need a visa to make a living here, because i do know that I am not allowed to work here etc whilst a tourist hence why I didnt need a visa, and if I tried to make an income here without one, I would be in big trouble.

Thats why all I am doing this trip is doing spanish classes on the weekdays at a school near where my girl is doing her cosmotology classes.

Learning spanish is doing my head in too, need to push all the useless car facts and knowledge I have stored in my brain taking up all that space I need to retain new language, haha.

I need to ask a really silly question, but if I don't ask, how will I know,

What do you mean notarized and apostilled?

So thats all things I get in order back in Australia obviously, as well of the fact that I would have to tidy up loose ends back there, like sell my beloved car, and off load my apartment I rent (At least thats easier then waiting for it to sell, if I owned it)

And well, yeah, Its been a long day out seeing more of Guayaquil's sites today, and I was kind of a bit tired, so thats my excuse for saying butt instead of butt, haha

If you're in Guayaquil right now, this is a great time to find legal assistance to lay out exactly what documents you'll need, the time frame, and the most efficient methods for completing the process of marriage and permanent residency. The Ecuador embassy websites are poorly constructed and lacking in detail. That is when they will load at all. Seriously, talk to an immigration attorney in Guayaquil.

Take my advice, look into it while you're still there. Get it all straightened out, then go back home and start rounding up everything you need. As you already know, dealing with the visa process is a very pot-holed road.

Keep us posted. I love weddings.

Here is a general overview of the document requirements for a visa:
http://cancilleria.gob.ec/visas-inmigrante/?lang=en

I will ask my girl to point me in the direction of any immigration offices in the next few weeks then to gather info, I hope they have english speakers, because I am still trying to learn my spanish, (I'm still very basic)

On that note, does anyone have any simple brain exercise tips, that makes retaining information that I am studying in my spanish classes here every weekday while I am here?

Retainging what I learn in my 2-3 hour daily class seems a struggle, but there must be some kind of exercise that allowes the brain to retain and relay info better//

Too much misspent youth with cars, too many useless car facts and info taking up valuable ram in my head, haha

jim83p wrote:

I need to ask a really silly question, but if I don't ask, how will I know,

What do you mean notarized and apostilled?

Don't feel alone. A lot of people have problems with this. Problem is, I can't give you good answers for Australia. I'll tell you how it works in the US, and you can check from there.

Most countries have some version of notarization -- this is simply a verification of signatures (i.e., a person stating that the person signing a document is in fact who he says he is). In the US there are various people authorized by each state as 'notary public' -- usually banks will have one, so you might check there.

Apostille is the next step up -- it is a statement that the notary is in fact a notary. This is usually done at whichever state office oversees the notaries (in most US states this is the secretary of state.

Almost all documents you submit in the Ecuadorian visa process will require both a notarization and an apostille. I think it's mostly BS, but there seems no way around it.

Good luck,
Bob

jim83p wrote:

I will ask my girl to point me in the direction of any immigration offices in the next few weeks then to gather info, I hope they have english speakers, because I am still trying to learn my spanish, (I'm still very basic)

On that note, does anyone have any simple brain exercise tips, that makes retaining information that I am studying in my spanish classes here every weekday while I am here?

Retainging what I learn in my 2-3 hour daily class seems a struggle, but there must be some kind of exercise that allowes the brain to retain and relay info better//

Too much misspent youth with cars, too many useless car facts and info taking up valuable ram in my head, haha

They call it immersion. Spanish when you go out in all your dealings as best you can. Have a degree in French but only really learned to speak it was when I had a job there and they are very snooty about their language.  From all reports the people are friendly, will help and appreciate how hard you are trying. Spanish at home with your girlfriend. TV, radio. Do they give you homework. ? The more practice the better

Everybody that I met in Ecuador was very polite and very patient about my atrocious Spanish. They seemed to appreciate that I was trying.

The most valuable phrase for me: "Repite, por favor, mas despacio." ("Repeat, please, more slowly.")

Okay cool, that gives me a better idea of what was meant :)

When you do new member --that means one--are you therefore attached at the hip?

Yes, well, I make my own homework out of it,

I am embarrassed about how basic and beginner I am, As the plan was originally for her to come to aus,

but now as it seems me coming here is the best option, It now is seriously important I learn

[Moderated]

what do you mean?

Barbara Suderman wrote:

[Moderated]

Reported your post to moderators, hope it will be removed soon.

my 28 year old girl!

I think he meant girlfriend

What happened to his first post? It was clear it was his girl friend

It's still there on the previous page. :)

jim83p wrote:

Yes, well, I make my own homework out of it,

I am embarrassed about how basic and beginner I am, As the plan was originally for her to come to aus,

but now as it seems me coming here is the best option, It now is seriously important I learn

Relax, enjoy it, before you know it you'll be "thinking" in Spanish

Yes, Of course I meant my girlfriend, my sweetheart, my partner, my future fiancee, who will then be my future wife soon after and then the future mother of our beautiful children.
I didn't know it was wrong to affectionately call my other half my girl for short on here, However, I will make sure in future posts I clearly say my girlfriend or partner....

I hope so, It's hard for an Aussie with no real exposure to Spanish at all back home, Every hispanic person I am friends with back home can't even speak spanish, haha

Then when i come here, and maria and her mum or sister talk, jeez, they sound like they are calling a horse race, lol,

I hear the occasional words i know and can make out the basics of a conversation, like dresses or cosmotology etc, but otherwise, it sounds intense, but also very awesome at the same time, haha

Jim, did you get my private message to you?

Joanneinict wrote:

Jim, did you get my private message to you?

I sure did, thankyou, I have already fired off an email :)

:)

Hello everybody,

There are some posts here which are totally off topic. :/

It would be great if everybody can concentrate on the initial topic please.
Do note that this thread has been created for the introduction of the New members specifically.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Guilty!  :(

jim83p wrote:

I didn't know it was wrong to affectionately call my other half my girl for short on here, However, I will make sure in future posts I clearly say my girlfriend or partner....

.   Moderator, although the following post could be misconstrued as off-topic, please allow it as it makes an important point about free speech on this site...and relates to an unresolved issue.  I appreciate that you have already 'moderated' BS in this thread.

,   Jim, you weren't wrong.  What is wrong was for BS (or anyone else) to chill speech and try to deny you the right to call your girlfriend your 'girl.'
   So, man up, guys, and don't let an angry Western girl bring her political correctness to expat-blog and Ecuador in a way that chastises you for no good reason.

jim83p wrote:

Does anyone have any simple brain exercise tips, that makes retaining information that I am studying in my spanish classes here every weekday while I am here?

Retaining what I learn in my 2-3 hour daily class seems a struggle, but there must be some kind of exercise that allows the brain to retain and relay info better.

...and by the way, Jim, welcome to Ecuador.

You really can't expect to retain individual Spanish words the first time or two that you encounter them.  Repetitive exposure to words will aid you in retaining them, over time.  That will require being patient with yourself and being persistent.

In my 14 months living in Ecuador, the number one way I have found to retain words is not taking a class, is not immersion at the mercado local or other places where Spanish-only is spoken (although all of that is great). 

Actually, where I have learned the most is from watching TV programs and movies with English audio and Spanish subtitulos.  This has given me daily and repeated  exposure to recurring words and phrases over time, and has the added benefit of being an enjoyable way to learn.  Let's face it, rote memorisation can get old.

My method is to pause video (possible with DirecTV) and look up palabras inconocidas in my diccionario, when necessary.  This method brings up words and situations a gringo might rarely encounter at the mercado but that are common in the lives of native speakers.

Good luck with your Ecuador experience, your relationship and your espanol.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everybody,

There are some posts here which are totally off topic. :/

It would be great if everybody can concentrate on the initial topic please.
Do note that this thread has been created for the introduction of the New members specifically.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

And isn't this the  place to give them words of encouragement or advice? The thread is getting so long it's hard to follow with so many new people

cccmedia wrote:
jim83p wrote:

Does anyone have any simple brain exercise tips, that makes retaining information that I am studying in my spanish classes here every weekday while I am here?

Retaining what I learn in my 2-3 hour daily class seems a struggle, but there must be some kind of exercise that allows the brain to retain and relay info better.

...and by the way, Jim, welcome to Ecuador.

You really can't expect to retain individual Spanish words the first time or two that you encounter them.  Repetitive exposure to words will aid you in retaining them, over time.  That will require being patient with yourself and being persistent.

In my 14 months living in Ecuador, the number one way I have found to retain words is not taking a class, is not immersion at the mercado local or other places where Spanish-only is spoken (although all of that is great). 

Actually, where I have learned the most is from watching TV programs and movies with English audio and Spanish subtitulos.  This has given me daily and repeated  exposure to recurring words and phrases over time, and has the added benefit of being an enjoyable way to learn.  Let's face it, rote memorisation can get o I think it works just as well vice versa with subtitles in English and you sort of get to hear the sound of it pronunciation and people interacting. CCmedia is so right

My method is to pause video (possible with DirecTV) and look up palabras inconocidas in my diccionario, when necessary.  This method brings up words and situations a gringo might rarely encounter at the mercado but that are common in the lives of native speakers.

Good luck with your Ecuador experience, your relationship and your espanol.

Doing it vice versa with English subtitles helped me with French. You get to hear the sound of it and watch the language go back in forth in conversation and the body language and all. Are you speaking Spanish with your girl at home???????????? Getting over the inhibition is a big part of it and you won't feel as embarrassed with her . She can correct you on the spot and be a big help with pronunciation.

Keep at it,
Sue

thank you for the words of encouragement cccmedia and suefrankdahl

I often heard of the different debates on watching movies in all spanish or english with spanish sub titles or vice versa,

I'm still experimenting to see which is working best for me,

maybe a combo of both

Hi everyone,

@jim83p > Please note that i have created a new topic with all your posts on the Guayaquil forum for a better visibility.

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com team

Free speech is free speech, Jim. No matter who. You just seem to think it should be disallowed if you don't agree with it. I am not angry--just observant and at times outspoken. Then the whole thing belongs in the realm of what is censored and what is not. So to the moderator --you might want to disallow Jim's comment--after all--I am originally not from the west, a woman and happy to be here. I realize that this is not the forum for this kind of thing--my apologies to all.

Hi, There!
MY apologies for being somewhat rude and outspoken. I welcome you as well to this beautiful country. I am usually far better at being kind and polite.

Barbara Suderman wrote:

Free speech is free speech, Jim. No matter who. You just seem to think it should be disallowed if you don't agree with it. I am not angry--just observant and at times outspoken. Then the whole thing belongs in the realm of what is censored and what is not. So to the moderator --you might want to disallow Jim's comment--after all--I am originally not from the west, a woman and happy to be here. I realize that this is not the forum for this kind of thing--my apologies to all.

I'm all for free speech, and opportunity, hence why I think coming to Ecuador may be more liberal, then the harsh restrictions Australia has in place to make it harder for Ecuadorians to migrate to Australia in my partners case, as opposed to turning a blind eye to issuing visas to people migrating to Australia from other countries.
What comment did I make that should be disallowed?

Anyways, I'm here because I like the place, and I love the people, and it is 50/50 depending on weather I migrate here or we continue to try push through Australia's red tape for Maria.

But either way, I will be part of Ecuadorian family from now on and here often because of my situation and always having future family inlaws here anyway.

Nice to meet you all again :)

I sure hope you are making good progress with your move here. I have nothing but good things to say about the Ecuadorian people and the nice expats I have met here. Most are very pleasant and helpful. I try to be as well and yet sometimes things go wrong and I have to re-configure my own behaviour. I think stress plays a part especially when you are doing things sola and facing never ending challenges. Losing a bank card, missing animals, moving mistakes--the list goes on. However, I sure feel alive. I am sure many people reading this can relate. Best regards to you.

jim83p wrote:

I'm all for free speech, and opportunity, hence why I think coming to Ecuador may be more liberal, then the harsh restrictions Australia has in place to make it harder for Ecuadorians to migrate to Australia in my partners case, as opposed to turning a blind eye to issuing visas to people migrating to Australia from other countries.

Free speech, especially free political speech, is not a good topic in Ecuador recently.
Nice to know Ecuador is more liberal than Australia, good luck on your move.

mugtech wrote:
jim83p wrote:

Free speech, especially free political speech, is not a good topic in Ecuador recently.
Nice to know Ecuador is more liberal than Australia, good luck on your move.

Even for an Ecuadorian just to go to holiday for Australia for a month, it could take 12 months before they decide to grant a visa just for that, and even then, that is only if they have a job in ecuador, with proof of the employer letting them have leave, but intending on coming back to their job, and they have to show their family also has money, so the Australia Government pretty much says, if your poor, you can't even come holiday, because we just assume that you will overstay the visa, a bit of a joke for a country that proclaims to be anti discrimination etc.

They just cover everyone with a blanket rule, never mind someone who has someone to stay while on holidays with family or friends, and simily doesn't need to prove they have a shit ton of money, Aus Immigration just doesn't care.

The easiest way for an Ecuadorian to come to Aus, is if they have an arts Visa (Not everyone does) or can invest in Australian business (A lot of investment mind you)

Obviously we do intend to get married, but even that doesn't mean an automatic yes, over a number of years the visas change, from an intend to marry an Australian resident (Which is only valid for 9 months) then a temp one for two years while they still poke and prod your private life to make sure you are a legit couple before finally (And only maybe) granting a permanent residency visa.

Even If we got married here in Ecuador instead of in Australia under the intend to marry visa, that could take even longer for entry visas to Australia,

it really is dishearting that my home country is like that, growing up there is fine, it is an awesome place, but as I know see from a different perspective, my government really shits on nationality's it feels it has a right to look down on, it is a disgrace.

However, Wealthy come from China, Thailand, or India to Australia, there is not the slightest hiccup getting a visa if your loaded and bringing a shit ton of money to pour into our tax system with you.

Australia, all for opportunity and a fair go as long as your rich...

Never mind the genuine who want to come and make a life in Australia and not ask for the government for handouts like a lot of lazy arse locals who already live in Australia anyway.

Sorry about the rant, but I guess the point that I am making, there is so much more to love about Ecuador than just what is on the surface